Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

1000's Rally!

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM
  • 34 Replies
6 moms liked this

Thousands of anti-abortion activists rally at Texas Capitol

Perry takes cues from Scripture to mark 40th year since Roe v. Wade
By Peggy Fikac | January 26, 2013

AUSTIN - Gov. Rick Perry, finding biblical significance in the 40th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision, assured thousands of activists at Saturday's Rally for Life at the Texas Capitol that this legislative session will build on past efforts to restrict abortion.

"The ideal world is one without abortion. Until then, we will continue to pass laws to ensure abortions are as rare as possible," Perry told a crowd.

Joined by Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, Attorney General Greg Abbott and anti-abortion groups, Perry said he was with "men and women who understand those Biblical stories."

"When God sent the flood waters, it rained for 40 days and 40 nights. Only Noah and those on his ark survived," Perry said. "When Jesus entered the desert and was tested by the devil, he fasted for 40 days, and he rejected the devil's temptations. When the Israelites went out into the wilderness, they wandered lost for 40 years

"Last week, America began its 40th year lost under the rule of Roe versus Wade," he said. "It's a tragic time for our nation's own moral wilderness."

The Republican leaders reiterated their commitment to building on laws such as those requiring a sonogram before a woman has an abortion and parental consent for a minor to have the procedure, and withholding money from Planned Parenthood clinics.

"I know this session, working together, we'll be able to cement the fact that Texas is the most pro-family, pro-life, pro-value state in America," Dewhurst declared.

Abbott said one of the state's great responsibilities is "to give every child a chance in life."

Perry reiterated his support at the really for measures to "ensure the safety of women that undergo this procedure" by holding abortion clinics to the same standards as ambulatory surgical centers, and requiring any doctor performing abortions to have admitting privileges to a hospital.

Foes slam agenda

NARAL Pro-Choice Texas, which promotes the right to abortion, said Perry and lawmakers should instead focus on preventive health, education and other services that Texans need after budget cuts made in 2011. The group said family planning clinics have closed around Texas, and noted the controversy over barring Planned Parenthood from a program that provides health screenings and contraceptives to women.

"The legislation Governor Perry referenced in his speech at the rally today has absolutely nothing to do with the health and safety of women and does nothing to reduce the need for abortions," Heather Busby, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice Texas, said in a statement. "The best way to ensure the safety of Texas women who seek abortions is to make that service accessible to them. Texans do not want to return to the days of women dying from self-induced abortions, pre-Roe v. Wade."

Church youth outing

Joe Landin, 45, of Waller, said he and his wife each year bring students to the annual rally from their Tomball church's youth group. He said it's valuable for the students to hear the mistakes others have made.

One activist spoke at the rally of the sorrow she still feels decades after having an abortion as a college student, and her subsequent work to ensure other women know they have alternatives.

"We're not perfect. We just strive to be the best we can," Landin said. "That's the message we want to bring out to our children."

Mary Ann Wolfshohl, 48, of San Antonio, attended the rally with her daughters. "It's a heavy thing to be involved in. There's a lot of sadness," Wolfshohl said.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Thousands-of-anti-abortion-activists-rally-at-4226244.php  

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambertreas76
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM
3 moms liked this

I AM AGAINST the hastey decision to kill a baby.  I understand addiction.  I understand a doctors judgement of an unhealthy pregnancy.  I am against paying my tax dollars to allow a woman to use the process of abortion as birth control.  I am against a drunken one night stand without a condom.  100 PERCENT against it.  Take the pill or use a condom.  Find someone who loves you.  Parents, teach your children about relationships and teach them values.  I'm, maybe not an extremist, but I do promote pro-life!!!

emeraldangel2.0
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

how ironic

one of the most pro-death penalty states having a rally for "life"

rolling on floor

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Idiots!
blondekosmic15
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:45 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

how ironic

rolling on floor

I am 100% prolife. I do not support the death penalty for moral and religious reasons. Emerald, how do you know everyone in that audience is for the death penalty? The State supports the DP but I'm sure some of it's citizens do not. Shall we laugh @ you because you support abortion but not the death penalty? Do you consider yourself moral and just because you believe a woman can choose to kill her unborn child?

blondekosmic15
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Idiots!

Anything intelligent to say....

Ednarooni160
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:43 AM
4 moms liked this

Thank you for this post Blonde.. Women who use abortion for birth control,  sex selection is just beyond  are "not" responsible and basically callous (imo).. It's a multi billion dollar business.. I'm not for the death penalty..but at least people on death row get a trial..babies are vulnerable and innocent..  And I don't want my tax dollars paying for it..when it stops at the BUCK..people will be more "responsible" in having safer sex..men and women..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:42 AM
Lol, that is. Sick of people butting in on others lives. Haven't seen you in a while. Back with the same ole posts.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Anonymous:

Idiots!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Billiejeens
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

How do you feel it is ironic?

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

how ironic

rolling on floor

Billiejeens
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 8:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Doubtful

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Anonymous:

Idiots!

imamomzilla
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:23 PM
3 moms liked this

It's very encouraging to see so many young faces in the crowd.

Thank you fort the post, blonde...good to see you here! :-)

"By not being opposed to evil you endorse evil. Likewise those who say, 'Nobody is pro abortion. We're just pro choice' are guilty of self deception. They are indeed pro abortion ...."

- Fr. Dwight Longenecker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN