Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

‘Unpatriotic’? Colo. School Under Fire After Allowing Students to Recite Pledge of Allegiance in Arabic

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM
  • 94 Replies
2 moms liked this

‘Unpatriotic’? Colo. School Under Fire After Allowing Students to Recite Pledge of Allegiance in Arabic

Rocky Mountain High School Under Fire for Allowing Pledge in Arabic & Other Languages

Credit: AP 

Controversy is brewing in Fort Collins, Colo., after a Rocky Mountain High School decided to allow a multicultural student group to recite the Pledge of Allegiance over the loudspeaker in Arabic, among other languages. The situation landed Principal Tom Lopez in hot water, with a slew of angry statements and threats being phoned into the school.

Lopez, citing an extremely diverse school body, explained that he was approached by the student-led Cultural Arms Club and asked whether pupils could recite the Pledge in languages other than English. French, Spanish and Arabic were some of the options that were chosen, with the school agreeing to allow students to read the Pledge in these tongues during morning announcements.

Recent frustration over the decision is making headlines, but this isn’t the first time that patriotism and intent have been questioned surrounding the school’s controversial Pledge allowances. The Coloradoan reports that angst over the club’s actions first began back in November:

Members in November recited the Pledge in Spanish, sparking intense debate about whether saying the words of the Pledge in any language other than English was unpatriotic.

Despite “rude” comments from classmates who disagreed with the November recital and anticipated “resistance” this week, Cultural Arms Club members decided to go forward with translating the Pledge into Arabic. They have plans for translating it into American Sign Language, Korean and possibly Chinese.

“We have a tremendous amount of diversity in our school,” the principal explained.

He defended Rocky Mountain’s decision, claiming that the Pledge is still an allegiance and devotion to the U.S., regardless of what tongue it is uttered through.

“When they pledge allegiance to United States, that’s exactly what they’re saying,” Lopez added. “They’re just using another language as their vehicle.”

What started as an attempt to recognize this diversity has ended up being a headache for Lopez, who is fielding calls from angry community members who are outraged that the Pledge is being recited in Arabic — or in any language other than English.

“I guess I’m getting worn down a little by how intense their sense of hate has been represented in some of the things they’ve written and said,” he told KSLA of the ongoing response.

In addition to the furor, Lopez said that the school has also received positive comments about the inclusive nature of the club’s approach to the Pledge.

What do you think? Should the Pledge be recited in any language other than English? Do you feel the club’s actions are beneficial to the school community — or divisive?  Let us know in the comments section.

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Should be in English. Disrespectful
clp0930
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Its no different than teaching them to say it in Spanish or French. People become terrorists by being psychotic not being Arab.

blondekosmic15
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting clp0930:

Its no different than teaching them to say it in Spanish or French. People become terrorists by being psychotic not being Arab.

Not necessarily psychotic. Many are indoctrinated to hate the western world and our respective culture. I read an interesting book some yrs ago concerning myths about terrorism & the ME. A common belief...terrorists come from poor families, they are uneducated. This is not always true. Osama bin Laden a primary example. In Saudi Arabia young Arab children are taught to hate Americans & the Jews. When they reach adulthood many seek martyrdom. It's easier to place a phychotic label on these ppl. than to learn the root causes of terrorism. Yes, there are Arabs who desire peace as we do but many do not due to indoctrination & their way of life. I have listened to Arabs who appreciate America, our cultures, who come to the United States to reap the benefits they never had in their own native land. To escape suppression, Sharia law & violence~   

ambermarie2006
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Still the Pledge, even if in another language. I see no issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clp0930
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting clp0930:

Not necessarily psychotic. Many are indoctrinated to hate the western world and our respective culture. I read an interesting book some yrs ago concerning myths about terrorism & the ME. A common belief...terrorists come from poor families, they are uneducated. This is not always true. Osama bin Laden a primary example. In Saudi Arabia young Arab children are taught to hate Americans & the Jews. When they reach adulthood many seek martyrdom. It's easier to place a phychotic label on these ppl. than to learn the root causes of terrorism. Yes, there are peaceful Arabs who desire peace as we do but many do not due to indoctrination & their way of life. I have listened to Arabs who appreciate America, our cultures, who come to the United States to reap the benefits they never had in their own native land. To escape suppression & violence~   

I know they are taught many things. I know about the things that happened in 90's Abkhazia. My husband knows that some Muslims are taught Hindus drink cow urine (milk yes, urine no.) But I don't consider the religion or the language in itself evil. Just certain individuals. We both grew up knowing this hatred first hand, so we both hold the belief that more hatred will not solve anything.

blondekosmic15
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM
6 moms liked this

Personally, if I lived in a foreign Country for any length of time, esp forever, I would recite the Nation's pledge of honor in their native language. I believe this would be respectful~

jcribb16
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM
5 moms liked this

Diversity?  That's fine.  But we speak English in America.  

Ednarooni160
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this

“When they pledge allegiance to United States, that’s exactly what they’re saying,” Lopez added. “They’re just using another language as their vehicle.”

Yes..he may know that..but other people wouldn't and might feel as if he's "indoctrinating" another culture over something that was originally said in English where most people living in this country speak English only.  I really think this country needs to make English the official language. 

Aivlys_
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly!

Quoting jcribb16:

Diversity?  That's fine.  But we speak English in America.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blondekosmic15
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting clp0930:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting clp0930:

Not necessarily psychotic. Many are indoctrinated to hate the western world and our respective culture. I read an interesting book some yrs ago concerning myths about terrorism & the ME. A common belief...terrorists come from poor families, they are uneducated. This is not always true. Osama bin Laden a primary example. In Saudi Arabia young Arab children are taught to hate Americans & the Jews. When they reach adulthood many seek martyrdom. It's easier to place a phychotic label on these ppl. than to learn the root causes of terrorism. Yes, there are peaceful Arabs who desire peace as we do but many do not due to indoctrination & their way of life. I have listened to Arabs who appreciate America, our cultures, who come to the United States to reap the benefits they never had in their own native land. To escape suppression & violence~   

I know they are taught many things. I know about the things that happened in 90's Abkhazia. My husband knows that some Muslims are taught Hindus drink cow urine (milk yes, urine no.) But I don't consider the religion or the language in itself evil. Just certain individuals. We both grew up knowing this hatred first hand, so we both hold the belief that more hatred will not solve anything.

Thank you for sharing your opinion & personal experiences. I have lived in various parts of the world & the US. My father was in the AF for 25 yrs. My family is diverse in culture & religion. I agree...we must be mindful of others, subsequently they are obligated to respect our customs & beliefs. Political correctness seems to be out of control. I am sympathetic to both sides of the issue of discussion. For ex. Americans would not be permitted to recite in english an honorary pledge in a Muslim Country but here in America Arabs do have this privilege~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN