Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Have you considered potty training your baby?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM
  • 15 Replies

Moms Who Potty Train Their Babies Are Forcing Them to Grow Up

Posted by Mary Fischer on January 30, 2013

pottiesAt least once a week, I find myself saying something along the lines of, "I really miss when my son was a baby." And I do, I truly do. I miss his chubby little cheeks. I miss rocking him to sleep at night. And I miss spending my days cuddling him and playing with him.

But there's one thing I definitely don't miss -- diapers. I don't care who you are, changing diapers is really a huge pain in the butt sometimes. And I'm guessing that's why so many moms from other cultures potty train their babies before they turn a year old -- because it's cheaper and a lot less messy than diapers.

Yes, it's true -- it is possible to have your baby potty trained before their first birthday, if you follow the traditional method used by Vietnamese mothers.

Believe it or not, Vietnamese moms start potty training their infants at birth (?!?) -- and by the age of 9 months, their babies are out of diapers. So, how do they accomplish this crazy feat? Well, it's pretty simple actually -- they whistle.

Basically, when the baby shows signs of needing to pee, the mom starts to whistle, and eventually the babies learn to associate the whistling with needing to go. (Like Pavlov's dog.)

Huh. Sure sounds easy enough.

But for the life of me, I just can't understand why moms anywhere would want to go this route, because forcing your baby to potty train at such a young age really seems like pressuring them to grow up. They're little for such a short time, so we should spend our days savoring the moments while they're babies instead of trying to turn them into little adults. And in addition to not wanting them to grow up too fast, we already have enough challenges as parents without introducing something as major as early potty training into the mix.

Of course, maybe I'd feel differently about potty training a baby if I were transported back to the baby stage. My son is almost 7 years old, so our diaper days are long gone. It's quite possible if I were still dealing with explosive diaper blowouts on a regular basis, I'd be all for sticking him on the toilet and giving it a go.

Have you considered potty training your baby?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KTU
by Kim on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Are you kidding? I am having a hard enough time potty training my almost 3 year old!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Roflmao. I trained mine right before 3. Very easy then. This is crap. Mom's trained, not the baby.
Ednarooni160
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Sounds extreme to me...(imo)...and in any case I can't whistle..never would have worked for me....   Gives a new meaning to "whistle" while you work though.

MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM

my oldest wsa potty trained at 2 an my youngest potty trained her self at 19 months an she is far from being grown up lol.shes my crying clingy baby expecially the last few days lol.

imamomzilla
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I know a mom who had all three of her kids potty trained by 18 months. Saved a lot of money of diapers.

Meh. Whatever works.

Sisteract
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM

An infant does not have the developed bladder neuromusculature to control function.

In this country, this would be construed as abuse. I am not familiar enough with Vietnam to comment on practices in that country.  Mom will be trained to take baby to the facilities, what, every 15minutes?

In some Asian countries children are also put in crotchless pants and just use the ground as their toilet-

SuperPickle
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:02 PM

My neighbors did  elimination communication  with their last baby since he was an infant. He is not even 2 yet and completely potty trained. It was actually a really cool thing to see how it worked. 

clp0930
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Yeah.Indian moms do it too, tahts why I can't wait for MIL to come visit. 

clp0930
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Quoting Sisteract:

An infant does not have the developed bladder neuromusculature to control function.

In this country, this would be construed as abuse. I am not familiar enough with Vietnam to comment on practices in that country.  Mom will be trained to take baby to the facilities, what, every 15minutes?

In some Asian countries children are also put in crotchless pants and just use the ground as their toilet-

Um, i have an Assamese friend who trained both of her children that way and that's not how it works. They watch for the babys cues and then carry the baby to the toilet. Her kids were done before two they're both happy, well adjusted and very smart. 

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:26 AM
No. Im still trying to potty train my 3 yr old!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)