Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

No poo question

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM
  • 17 Replies
I have seen a lot of moms on here do it. I was doing research because I have very very dry scalp ( bleeding and scabs) and read that using no shampoo and just a baking soda paste worked really good. My scalp isn't as dry anymore but my hair is super greasy looking. Is this normal and if so how long does it last? I can't stand the feeling. I started this on Friday.

~Melissa~Wife to Jarrod~Mommy to Nathan, Kristina, Tyler, and Ryan~

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:03 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:23 PM
I would use some medicated dry scalp shampoo.
Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I have tried that...i have very oily hair and the only shampoo that works for the oily is herbal essense but then my scalp gets dry. I heard using the baking soda paste gets rid of both but so far its making it worse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Talk to a dermatologist or a good hairdresser.

Quoting Nathans_mom0612:

Quoting Anonymous:

I have tried that...i have very oily hair and the only shampoo that works for the oily is herbal essense but then my scalp gets dry. I heard using the baking soda paste gets rid of both but so far its making it worse.

bellaamore
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:32 PM

No, not a paste.

If you have dry scalp, try two tablespoons in one eight ounce squirt bottle of shampoo.

I did only use this method, but then i started cowashing. Twice a month, i usebaking soda. The rest of the time, i use just water and conditiioneer, massaging into my scalp as i would shampoo. Let it sit for a bit, up to ten minutes depending on hait thickness. Then rinse u derr really hot water. Then, just use conditioner as a rinseas usual.

It has saved my hair and itchy peeling scalp

Sisteract
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I did it for a few weeks last year- I had a hard time overcoming the greasy stage.

I just started shampooing less often- my scalp does feel better. I also have the dry shampoo by Privy to use in between.

imamomzilla
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I do it about once a month.

It works great for shampoo build up, it strips away all the other hair products I frequently use  for shine, etc.

Are you rinsing it out? I've never had it feel greasy. In fact, I have to do extra conditioning on the ends or it gets frizzy.

Nathans_mom0612
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Quoting imamomzilla:

I do it about once a month.

It works great for shampoo build up, it strips away all the other hair products I frequently use  for shine, etc.

Are you rinsing it out? I've never had it feel greasy. In fact, I have to do extra conditioning on the ends or it gets frizzy.

Yes but im using it everyday. When i researched it that is what it said to do.

LEY1307
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM
You may have seborrheic dermatitis. That's what I have and I have to use a prescription shampoo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
copperked
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I'm allergic to ingredients in a lot of shampoos and had the same symptoms. I have only been able to use Aussie Moist for the past 10+ years, and I only wash my hair twice a week. When I first cut down on washing it, it was more greasy for a while and then my scalp got used to it and I haven't had a problem since.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)