Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

So the next time I complain about my house being too small...

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm going to re-read this article about families living in tiny houses and remind myself that it's not that I don't have enough space, it's that I have too much stuff! :P

How big is your house? Do you think you could live in a home that was 500 square feet or 300 square feet or even less? Feel free to post pics too!

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Well my house is 10,000 sq feet and I live on 100,000 acres!
MrsErdos2011
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I hear ya. We live in a 12x50 ft trailer. It definitely makes you down size a lot

Quoting ForeverInLove:

I live in a 14x70ft trailer and I feel CRAMPED! We aren't moving for a while though, as I'm hoping the tiny conditions can help us to maintain a lesser amount of stuff. We have a storage unit with more in it, lol. Stuff that we won't get rid of, and things I need to go through for our rummage sale in May.

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

KayelynnsMama
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:20 AM

We could it we had to. I wouldn't choose to though. Lol. I don't think we'd have a problem with getting rid of some of our stuff to fit, I'd be more worried about not having separate spaces so we don't annoy each other.

iluvsn85
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM
We could. We would probably spend more time outside and other places then home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I think there needs to be balance. It would be hard to live in a house THAT tiny, but with some organization and creativity, I could see making it work.

But I would never want to live in a humongous home, either. Aside from all the maintenance and cleaning involved in keeping a 5,000 square foot home running smoothly, larger spaces take up a lot more natural resources. I wouldn't want to live in a space with that large a footprint, unless I were actively working to offset it with green building materials, solar energy, etc. I just don't see a reason for that kind of conspicuous consumption, personally. I'd rather take the money and put it toward more valuable things.

New.OrleansLady
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I could do 500sq ft but it would be bare minimums. 

GoddessBaker
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM

My son and I had to stay in a 1 bedroom with my mom and stepdad for 3 months while in from out of town to care of some business, so yes...it wouldn't be ideal, but we could do it.

rockinfirekitty
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Our one bedroom we had almost till our daughter was two was only about 500sqft. Not that hard you just get rid off all the junk and live simple as far as items go.

Mrs.wilcox01
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM
dh and I were thinking of doing this when we start building our house. it would save so much money but we are a family of six with 2dogs.how did you survive and how long did the house take to build

Quoting Mrs.KV:

We lived in our camper for 6 months while our house was being built.... so yes, if we had to we could.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LadyKiki
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Our first home was 450 sq ft. It wasn't big but I loved that place. If we had to, I know we could go back down to that size, but we would have to sell a lot of things and learn to adjust.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN