Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Wife Swap, does it tick anybody else off, or is it just me?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I used to like this show. When it first came out I would watch it every time it came on. They would pair up different families, they would get out of their comfort zone, and they'd learn something from each other, the most important thing they learned being to appreciate their own spouse more.

HOWEVER, at some point, fairly early on, they decided to up the ante in order to try to increase ratings and started finding the MOST radically different families humanly possible. Not just different, but families that they KNEW would most likely fight with each other and hate each other. If one family filled out a form for the show and said, 'Please, whatever you do don't pair me with meat eaters!" They would find someone with a cattle ranch who eats beef at every meal, and make the other wife help slaughter the animal. If someone said on their form, "Just please pair us with another Christian family." They would pair them with a family who would make them pray to Buddah and dance pagan style around a fire while chanting.

It makes me mad. I can see getting someone in a different environment and out of their comfort zone, that's how people learn and expand their horizens, but when they are TRYING to create conflict and bad feelings between the families, and setting the people up to be forced to do things they don't feel is morally right, I think that's really wrong. Like the episode where the Rodio loving, cowboy loving mom forces the Vegan man to eat meat at every meal, or the episode where  the devoutly, (although also a bit off her rocker) Christian woman is asked to participate in a pagan ritual.

I'm a Christian, and I don't judge people who aren't, but what you have to understand is that I believe I would be greatly endangering my immortal soul if I prayed to any other God or participated in a pagan ritual. Most Christians would feel that way. Who would want to risk an ETERNITY of damnation just to comply with a TV Show?

Someonone will probably say, "Nobody is forcing these people to do anything.", but, actually, they sort of are. Everyone knows the rule of this show is that for one week you have to adhere to the home family's rules, then the next week the visiting wife gets to change the rules and everyone in the house has to follow those rules. They already agreed to follow whatever rules they are told before they even meet the other family.

Although, alternately, it also makes me mad when the husband of a family, after the visiting wife gamely followed their rules all week, gets all macho and refuses to follow the visiting wife's rules, because he's the man of the house and he makes the rules. Um, you knew how the show goes. Why did you sign up if you weren't willing to follow the other family's rules. UNLESS, those rules compromise his morals, like vegans eating meat or doing something that is against your religion, but a lot of these men just refuse because it insults their masculinity.

This is why I hardly ever watch the show any more. I watched it last night because, surprisingly, my dh put it on, but I stopped watching it regularly long ago.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I'll never forget the last time I stopped watching one of those wife swap type shows. They took two families- one black, very proud of their African American heritage, and who were interested in getting restitution for their ancestors having been slaves. The other family was white, and well meaning, but the first thing out of the white guy's mouth to the black woman was, "We just Flava Flave! We watch his show on VH 1 all the time. We think he's a real hoot!"

The camera then panned to the woman rolling her eyes, trying hard not to laugh lol.

SMH and face palm. I almost died of embarrassment on behalf of all cauasian people in America. Like the producers didn't pick those two families for ratings?

Swt7
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Cannot watch that!
sucker4myloves
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I'm not a fan of any reality shows, but I find that one especially trashy. Also all the new "redneck" shows. Those people aren't rednecks, they are crappy actors.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!
REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

LilySlim Diet days tickers

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 1:27 AM
I'm rolling right now. You think god would damn you to hell for talking to someone else's deity? You can't be serious!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
merryvoice
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 11:20 AM
That's why I stopped watching it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I've caught a few reruns. I thought that's how the show was. Cheesy drama.

Paperfishies
by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM
No one is "forcing" anyone to do anything. They could walk out at any time, they just wouldn't get paid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I used to like the show (haven't seen it in a while)...but it makes me feel good about my dull life.

There was an episode with this French guy. He was hilarious, but the house smelled like their stinky dog. In one scene, he gave it a bath and then washed his face with the same cloth they used to scrub the dog's arse. LOL It still makes me laugh.

Man, I've got it so good.....hard not to to feel fortunate after seeing all that dysfunction. :-)

AliKatAK47
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:38 AM

I haven't watched that show in ages. The last time there was this rich snob on and she was insulting this poor family and I wanted to punch her in the throat. How dare she call them gross and worthless because they choose to live off the land and thrift shop.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM

People who live off  land don't bathe and they ARE gross.

how scary that someone would suggest a violent act towards another for telling the Truth.smh

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)