Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

WTF is wrong with this country

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:55 AM
  • 13 Replies
7-Year-Old Handcuffed Over $5, Says Suit | ABC News Blogs
By Ben Waldron

The family of a 7-year-oldNew Yorkboy is suing police and the city for $250 million, saying cops handcuffed and interrogated the boy for ten hours after a scuffle over lunch money at school.
Wilson Reyes, a student atPublic School114 in the Bronx reportedly got into a fight with a fellow student in December after he was accused of taking $5 of lunch money that had fallen on the ground in front of him. Responding to a complaint of assault and robbery, the police were called and took the boy to thelocal police precinctwhere officers allegedly handcuffed and interrogated him for ten hours, according to the lawsuit.
"Imagine how I felt seeing my son in handcuffs," Wilson's mother,Frances Mendez, told the New York Post . "It was horrible. I couldn't believe what I was seeing," she said.
The claim, filed by family attorneyJack Yankowitz, accuses theNYPD, among other things, of false imprisonment, physical, verbal, emotional and psychological abuse, and deprivation of Reyes' constitutional rights.
Robbery charges against the boy were later dropped, and the NYPD, though it disputes the accusations in the suit, is investigating the incident.
"While the lawyer's claims are grossly untrue in many respects, including fabrication as to how long the child was held, the matter is nonetheless being reviewed by the department'sInternal Affairs Bureau," Deputy Commissioner Paul J. Browne told ABC News in an emailed statement.
New York City Public Advocate Bill de Blasio was critical of the NYPD in a statement posted on theNew York City Public Advocate's website.
"Seven-year-olds don't belong in handcuffs," he said. "As a parent, I wouldn't stand for this in one of my kids' schools. Our school system's over-reliance on the NYPD as a disciplinary tool traumatizes our young people, sows distrust in our communities and drains vital city resources away from responding to genuine crimes. This has to stop."
Calls placed to Public School 114 were not immediately returned. Also Read
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jennyanne322
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM
So are you mad at the kid for being a thug, or the cop for treating the kid like the thug he is?
Jennyanne322
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Your story fails to say that he punched the kid on the face also.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Bet there is a LOT more to this story than is being reported.  Mommy running to defend her jailbird kid.  Happens way too often. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Yep, should have assault charges.  This kid will be locked up some day for something.  The way Mom is defending him. 

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Your story fails to say that he punched the kid on the face also.

Jennyanne322
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:03 AM
There is a lot more to this story, then what she posted or what the papers have posted.

Quoting Anonymous:

Bet there is a LOT more to this story than is being reported.  Mommy running to defend her jailbird kid.  Happens way too often. 

MeninaBallerina
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I have mixed feelings. Ten hours seems a little extreme for a seven year old. On the other hand with the way kids behave these days at such young ages maybe they need something like this to scare them straight for society's sake. 

ambertreas76
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

250 million is just as ridiculous as filing a lawsuit.  This mom is justifying the fact that her son is at the very early stages of criminal behavior.  It's a sad state of affairs when moms look to get paid for not raising their children right.

manda1021
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM

OMG the kid is 7 years old I can't believe he was handcuffed and interrogated for 10 hours. Yea he punch a kid in the face but that doesnt mean you treat him like a thug. It doesnt mean that the kid is going to be a jail bird when he grows up. If that was the case I would already be in jail and I'm not. I got into alot of fights as a kid and never was arrested. It doesnt mean he is a bad kid.  Have a little compastion what if it was your kid who punch a fellow student.  Would you sit there and say it was ok for the police to do that to your child.

PISCIS29
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I'm talking about the 250$ the woman thinks she deserves for the scare her kid got. Not what happened to the kid!
kitty8199
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Well her kid shouldn't have been a little shit. Beak the law face consequences. Scare him now so he doesn't do it again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN