Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you think first birthday parties are pointless? How did you celebrate your child's first?

Posted by   + Show Post

First Birthday Parties Are Kind of Pointless

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber on January 31, 2013 

balloonsIn the past six months, I have been to four first birthday parties. Each one was beautiful. Each one was filled with all sorts of adorable Pinterest-inspired crafts and creative appetizers. Each one had a period where the guest of honor, the baby, was fast asleep.

My daughter's first birthday is coming up (okay, fine, it's over two months away), and part of me can't help but scour the web for interesting ideas for balloon formations (I mean, come on), and cake inspiration, but another part of me, the logical part, feels like: What's the point? My child is going to have zero clue of what's going on.

First birthday parties are more for the parents. I think we're all on the same page with that one, right? And while making it through the first year -- both the parents and the baby -- is absolutely, positively something worth celebrating, does it really require an ice sculpture? (No, I've never seen an actual ice sculpture at a party, but I have seen a chocolate fountain. True story.)

The way I'm kind of seeing things right now is there's really no need to go all out when it comes to a baby's very first birthday. As the years go on, and the child becomes more aware of their birthdays and, um, knows what a party is, I feel like -- do it up. I can't wait to see the look on my daughter's face when she and her friends who are now TBD are bouncing around on a trampoline or making sand art or whatever. But that's not right now. Now, she's quite content smacking her hands against her highchair or pushing people's noses in hopes that they'll make a noise like one of her toys. Seriously, she could do it for hours. And, to be honest, I'm not even sure how much pomp and circumstance I feel second birthday parties require. From what I hear, it's their third birthday (and third Christmas) when they know what's going on.

However, I want to do something. Like I said, getting through what many deem the toughest year of parenthood -- and childhood -- is definitely worth some recognition.

So, what to do?

As of now, the only two things I've come up with are a small brunch at home with only a few family members and maybe a friend or two. Or simply going out to breakfast with my daughter and husband, followed by a trip to an aquarium or something -- something she'll kind of/sort of be able to appreciate. I'd like to do something memorable, but I don't want to go nuts, and I definitely don't want to break the bank. The important thing is that we're together and happy.

But, oh yes -- there will be cake.

How did you celebrate your child's first birthday?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
wyattsmom2009
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:40 PM

We had one for my son. We had a John Deere theme. He had a John Deere cake and plates and stuff.  We mainly had family and family friends there.

imamomzilla
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:44 PM

We had a big pool party for DS....it was very stressful...and too long. He got tired and cranky at the end. His younger sister had a much smaller one....close family only. We learned our lesson. :-)

Ednarooni160
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you think first birthday parties are pointless? No..they are precious..everyone should have one and take lots of picts..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:14 PM
You can take pics of your kid with gifts and cake without a party.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Do you think first birthday parties are pointless? No..they are precious..everyone should have one and take lots of picts..

elizabooks
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Somewhat pointless to my mind. My sil had a big celebration parading her 1st born like a princess with invites matching outfits, deco the works.
Me: wished the girl happy birthday and got a sitter for the night and went out with DH for the first time in most two years.
2metalbabies
by Jene on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM
We always have huge family get together a for the kids birthdays. We all got drunk, and made my younger brothers watch the littles. We always joke around cause we have "Mexican" birthday parties for the kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ednarooni160
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

You can take pics of your kid with gifts and cake without a party.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

I guess "party" is in the eye  of the beholder..give me one or two good friends..some good food...and it's a "party"..

2curly
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I don't think that they are pointless.  For both my kids, we took them to the aquarium on their actual birthdays and then we had a party with family and some friends with kids. Nothing extravagent, just some balloons, cake, ice cream, presents.   Both my kids seemed to enjoy eating the cake and opening their presents :)

Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I do think they are silly- they are usually held more for the parents of the child, then for the child themselves, which is fine, I guess- it's fun to get everyone together, but under the guise of a 1st birthday? Lol. IDK...

My son has had his birthdays with immediate family and my brother, SIL and my parents. He will be 6 in August and I want to have a party for him this summer and asked him if he wanted to invite everyone from his current pre-K class, and he said "no" and listed about 5 boys lol- which will make it easier on me and means I can spend more money on individual party favors because I hate that cheap crap we always get! I throw 3/4 out if out! So, we'll have 5/6 boys in the invite list and a few younger girls (siblings of the boys).

Donovan seems to be more interested in quality of friendships than quantity, which I suppose is a good thing, right? :-)

sunrisekn
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM

We had a HUGE party for my son when he turned 1. We had both families and friends there. He had a great time and we were able to make some awesome family memories. I wouldnt change a thing. He is the only child that we can have so we choose to celebrate big. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)