Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Filing taxes and separated?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

I should be getting my last W2 any day now and am going to go file taxes as soon as I do. My husband and I have been separated since September of last year, but we aren't legally separated (we didn't file for legal separation). Can I file separated head of household even though we aren't legally separated? Or do I have to file married filing separately or married filing jointly?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM

BUMP!

JacksonGirl
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:12 AM
If I'm reading your post right he was with you more than half of last yr so you could file married filing separately but I don't believe you can claim head of household. I give you a bump for someone who knows for sure.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SoKamele
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:33 AM

You can...but it won't be legal.....so if you get audited...you'll have to pay it back.

Legally...you file......married filing seperately........and after you're divorced.....you file head of household.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Married separately, but not heaq of household.
sunrisekn
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM

There are 3 requirements for filing Head of household. Just read them and see if they fit you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM
There is a test to determine if you can claim head of household and you must answer yes to all. Because you lived with him more than 6 months you don't qualify for hoh.

You must file married separate or marries joint.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)