Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Filing taxes and separated?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

I should be getting my last W2 any day now and am going to go file taxes as soon as I do. My husband and I have been separated since September of last year, but we aren't legally separated (we didn't file for legal separation). Can I file separated head of household even though we aren't legally separated? Or do I have to file married filing separately or married filing jointly?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM

BUMP!

JacksonGirl
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:12 AM
If I'm reading your post right he was with you more than half of last yr so you could file married filing separately but I don't believe you can claim head of household. I give you a bump for someone who knows for sure.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SoKamele
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:33 AM

You can...but it won't be legal.....so if you get audited...you'll have to pay it back.

Legally...you file......married filing seperately........and after you're divorced.....you file head of household.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Married separately, but not heaq of household.
sunrisekn
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM

There are 3 requirements for filing Head of household. Just read them and see if they fit you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM
There is a test to determine if you can claim head of household and you must answer yes to all. Because you lived with him more than 6 months you don't qualify for hoh.

You must file married separate or marries joint.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)