Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What an a**hole minister

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 62 Replies

An Applebee's waitress who posted a receipt with a note from a pastor complaining about the automatic gratuity added to the bill on the Internet was fired on Wednesday after the pastor complained to her manager.

Chelsea Welch, the waitress, wrote in an email to Yahoo News that the pastor (who has since been identified as Alois Bell) told Welch's manager at the St. Louis-area Applebee's that the ensuing firestorm had "ruined" her reputation.

"I give God 10%," Bell wrote on the receipt, scratching out the automatic tip and scribbling in an emphatic "0" where the additional tip would be. "Why do you get 18?" (There were more than eight people in Bell's party, triggering the auto-tip.)

Welch, who snapped a photo of the bill from a fellow server and uploaded to Reddit, defended her right to post the receipt. "I thought the note was insulting, but also comical," she told Consumerist.com. "And I thought other users would find it entertaining.”

Bell, a pastor at Truth in the World Deliverance Ministries Church, was not amused, and she called Welch's manager to complain.

“[It was] a lapse in my character and judgment,” Bell told the Smoking Gun, adding she did not expect her easily recognizable signature would be, as her friend informed her, “all over Yahoo. You went viral!”

[Related: Pastor leaves waiter note on receipt: ‘I give God 10%. Why do you get 18?’]

“My heart is really broken,” Bell added. “I’ve brought embarrassment to my church and ministry.”

A spokesman for Applebee’s said it apologized to Bell for violating her "right to privacy" and confirmed that Welch “is no longer employed by the franchise."

Welch was surprised that Applebee's fired her, "especially because there was nothing specific in the employee handbook admonishing this behavior."

"I had no intention of starting a witch hunt or hurting anyone. I just wanted to share a picture I found interesting," she said. “I come home exhausted, sore, burnt, dirty and blistered on a good day. And after all that, I can be fired for ‘embarrassing’ someone who directly insults their server on religious grounds.”

Welch also isn't buying Bell's embarrassment. “If this person wrote the note, obviously they wanted it seen by someone," she said. “I’ve been stiffed on tips before, but this is the first time I’ve seen the Big Man used as reasoning."

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SoKamele
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Wrong......on all accounts. The patron and the server.

debramommyof4
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Using God not to pay a tip is a bunch of bull.  That pastor should be embarassed and ashamed.  But the waitress should not have posted it, but I dont think it is something that she should have gotten fired for it.

JacksonGirl
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I waited tables for almost 5 yrs and its hard work that you deserve a tip for but to share someones signature on line?? Yeah you don't do that.

Quoting SoKamele:

Wrong......on all accounts. The patron and the server.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:54 AM

The waitress shouldn't have posted it in the first place. Also, the pastor didn't want to leave ADDITIONAL tip. That pisses me off too that they would automatically put 18% (which is more then I tip for average service) and then have the nerve to put a spot asking for additional tip. I get with large groups, sometimes it gets lost in the shuffle as to who is leaving the tip but if they are going to put a tip it, it should be a SUGGESTED thing of 15% with the option to change the amount.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I'm sorry the waitress lost her job but GREAT JOB for calling out the hypocrit pastor!!! Seems that pastor needed a reality check and she got one with this. And Applebee's is scum anyway - bad food, crazy prices, awful to employees... I hope that server finds better work.

leighp1
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM

yes the server was wrong, but who would have believed her if she didn't do this?  NO ONE!  This pastor should be ashamed of himself and he really should be ashamed of himself for getting her fired.  He had some nerve.  Too bad someone doesn't call his congregation and have them fire HIM!!!!  Shame on him!!!  Using GOD to not pay what is due.  That just isn't right!  (can you tell I am not happy about this? )

mom2ljh
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:22 AM
The pastor ruined her reputation. Not the server. I can't believe they fired her. :-(
skywater03
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Just wrong! All around wrong!
dinc
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:58 AM

The pastor is comparing apples and oranges, so to speak.  She may give 1/10 of her income to God but that has nothing to do with leaving a tip. She ruined her own reputation.  Servers work very hard for their money.  That said, the server who took the picture and uploaded it should have left the customer's name off. 

SlightlyPerfect
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I think everyone missed this, but she did tip. The 18% was included in the total. You can see on the receipt. So it's not like this minister stiffed this server. She simply turned into a self-righteous bitch. Her mistake was putting it in writing.

Quoting debramommyof4:

Using God not to pay a tip is a bunch of bull.  That pastor should be embarassed and ashamed.  But the waitress should not have posted it, but I dont think it is something that she should have gotten fired for it.

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)