Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Military Vet Ordered to Remove Tiny American Flag From Patio: ‘I Saw the Flag Flying in Afghanistan, It’d Be Nice to See It Flying Here, Too’

Posted by   + Show Post

US

Military Vet Ordered to Remove Tiny American Flag From Patio: ‘I Saw the Flag Flying in Afghanistan, It’d Be Nice to See It Flying Here, Too’

Tyler Barge describes himself as a proud military veteran. He was deployed to Afghanistan for nine months in 2011 where he served in the U.S. Army National Guard. He just returned home in March of 2012.

So, you can imagine his disgust when management at his apartment complex ordered him to remove the small American flag he had stuck into a pot of dirt on his patio.

Apartment Complex Orders Military Veteran Tyler Barge to Remove Small American Flag

(Credit: Tyler Barge)

“I like to keep a flag on display in honor of those who have died fighting for our freedom,” Barge, 22, told TheBlaze in an exclusive interview on Thursday. “I had the privilege of coming home and they didn’t. I try to do what I can to keep their memory alive.”

“I saw the flag flying in Afghanistan, it’d be nice to see it flying here too,” he added.

Barge said he received a notice from Riverwalk Apartments in Salem, Va. on Wednesday ordering him to remove the American flag, trash items, a broom and even a glass table from the patio.

“We need your help to keep our community one of the best in Salem! We need for you to remove the following items from your patio,” the notice read. It then listed the previously mentioned items. The notice went on:

Per our lease agreement we only allow the following times on your patio/balcony:

1. Patio furniture

2. Up to (3) working bicycles

3. Plants

The complex is giving Barge until Monday to remove the flag and other items.

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Replies (41-43):
emeraldangel2.0
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:35 PM

that doesn't matter. rules are rules. if he cant follow them, then he should move. they shouldn't have to apologize to him for making him abide by their rules. it's THEIR property. not his. sucks that they did, though. just a bunch of ass kissing fools, in my opinion.

i support our troops but people have rules and our troops should follow them, not get a pass just because they served.

Quoting kitty8199:

This isn't Mexico.

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

if those are the rules then they have to comply. if someone had a mexican flag, you would have no problem with them being asked to be removed. if he doesn't like the rules, move.

wedding tickers

kitty8199
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Federal law allows anyone to fly the American flag anywhere they want. Forgot the name of the bill, but what they're doing is illegal

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

that doesn't matter. rules are rules. if he cant follow them, then he should move. they shouldn't have to apologize to him for making him abide by their rules. it's THEIR property. not his. sucks that they did, though. just a bunch of ass kissing fools, in my opinion.

i support our troops but people have rules and our troops should follow them, not get a pass just because they served.

Quoting kitty8199:

This isn't Mexico.

Quoting emeraldangel2.0:

if those are the rules then they have to comply. if someone had a mexican flag, you would have no problem with them being asked to be removed. if he doesn't like the rules, move.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EyEmTuRtLe
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM

For those questioning flag codes. Here ya go..

http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

http://www.usflag.org/index.html

And yes it's illegal to force someone to remove a United States Of America flag when it is in the U.S.A. or on U.S.A. soil.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN