Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Oregon Baker Faces State Investigation After Refusing to Make Same-Sex Couple’s Wedding Cake

Posted by   + Show Post

Faith

Oregon Baker Faces State Investigation After Refusing to Make Same-Sex Couple’s Wedding Cake

Oregon Baker Faces State Investigation After Refusing to Make Cake for Same Sex Couples Wedding

(Photo: KATU)

An Oregon man may have broken the law and is facing a state investigation after refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex couple’s wedding, KATU reports.

KGW has details on the story:

It started on Jan. 17 when a mother and daughter showed up at Sweet Cakes by Melissa looking for the perfect wedding cake.

“My first question is what’s the wedding date,” said owner Aaron Klein.  “My next question is bride and groom’s name … the girl giggled a little bit and said it’s two brides.”

Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for same-sex marriages.  Klein said the women were disgusted and walked out.

“I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God,” said Klein.  “A man should leave his mother and father and cling to his wife … that to me is the beginning of marriage.”

[...]

“I’d rather have my kids see their dad stand up for what he believes in then to see him bow down because one person complained.”

One of the women filed a complaint on January 28– also saying Klein referred to them as “abominations unto the Lord”– and now the Oregon Attorney General’s civil enforcement officers are investigating the claim.

But Klein says he never used harsh language and has no problem with homosexuals; he just doesn’t want to be a part of their marriage.

“I honestly did not mean to hurt anybody, didn’t mean to make anybody upset, [it’s] just something I believe in very strongly,” he told KATU.

When asked whether he’d be willing to lose his business over the matter, Klein said: “If I have to be to, I guess, be penalized for my beliefs, then I guess, well, that’ll be what it is.”

The case now presents a unique legal dilemma, according to reports, since Oregon law forbids discrimination based on sexual orientation, and the U.S. Constitution protects Klein’s freedom of religion.

Klein has two weeks to file his official account what happened before the attorney general’s office decides how to proceed.

KATU has more on the story, including an interview with Klein:

VIDEO HERE:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/02/baker-under-investigation-after-declining-to-make-gay-couples-wedding-cake-if-i-have-to-be-penalized-for-my-beliefs-so-be-it/

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Replies (131-137):
Bookwormy
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Since he isn't a church or a minister being asked to officiate, I doubt he will win against the state of Oregon, if they decide to sue him. But I guess we'll have to wait & see.

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

I didn't say that. If the state law says he can't discriminate based on sexual orientation, but the Constitution allows for freedom of religion......which one will come out on top? Because if you go with the customers, then in a way, you're saying that the bakery can't have freedom of religion.

I disagree with him completely. While I don't like what he did, I think that he'll "win" (so to speak). I don't believe that discrimination trumps religion, nor does religion trump discrimination. Maybe, if anything, he'll get a fine or something.

Quoting Bookwormy:

There is no federal law that says that you can't have more non-discrimination laws than the federal govt. 12 states do right now & the Feds don't have a problem with that. This is a federalist nation. Its what makes DOMA unconstitutional.

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

Interesting problem they have there. I have a feeling, though, that the bakery will "win" in this case. I may be wrong, but I thought that Federal Law trumps state law (like, with the minimum wage- it has to be at least the federal minimum wage.....and I think that's why there might still be some issues with the pot legalization).

I would like to ask that guy if he's ever made wedding cakes for someone who's been divorced and is remarrying? Or if someone had children before getting married? I have a real distaste for people who pick which parts of the Bible they want to follow, so much so that they'd refuse to make a cake for someone simply because they disagree with their lifestyle.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gilbertgrl627
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I don't think it would matter if he was a church or a minister. There were some...I think they were Muslim....people who worked at Walmart and didn't want to have to scan the meat (pork, I believe) while working as cashiers. I forget the specifics, but I believe they "won" in that they no longer had to scan the meat.

I'm not sure what kind of angle they'd use in this. If management can refuse service to anyone for any reasons, I don't think they'd have to be a church/minister to refuse service for a religious reason.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Since he isn't a church or a minister being asked to officiate, I doubt he will win against the state of Oregon, if they decide to sue him. But I guess we'll have to wait & see.

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

I didn't say that. If the state law says he can't discriminate based on sexual orientation, but the Constitution allows for freedom of religion......which one will come out on top? Because if you go with the customers, then in a way, you're saying that the bakery can't have freedom of religion.

I disagree with him completely. While I don't like what he did, I think that he'll "win" (so to speak). I don't believe that discrimination trumps religion, nor does religion trump discrimination. Maybe, if anything, he'll get a fine or something.

Quoting Bookwormy:

There is no federal law that says that you can't have more non-discrimination laws than the federal govt. 12 states do right now & the Feds don't have a problem with that. This is a federalist nation. Its what makes DOMA unconstitutional.

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

Interesting problem they have there. I have a feeling, though, that the bakery will "win" in this case. I may be wrong, but I thought that Federal Law trumps state law (like, with the minimum wage- it has to be at least the federal minimum wage.....and I think that's why there might still be some issues with the pot legalization).

I would like to ask that guy if he's ever made wedding cakes for someone who's been divorced and is remarrying? Or if someone had children before getting married? I have a real distaste for people who pick which parts of the Bible they want to follow, so much so that they'd refuse to make a cake for someone simply because they disagree with their lifestyle.

Bookwormy
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Employee rights of non-discrimination based on religion *may* be different than a business owner. We'll see!

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

I don't think it would matter if he was a church or a minister. There were some...I think they were Muslim....people who worked at Walmart and didn't want to have to scan the meat (pork, I believe) while working as cashiers. I forget the specifics, but I believe they "won" in that they no longer had to scan the meat.

I'm not sure what kind of angle they'd use in this. If management can refuse service to anyone for any reasons, I don't think they'd have to be a church/minister to refuse service for a religious reason.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Different context but Chick Fil A's stance only enhanced their business.  The day that there was a boycott, people stood in line for a long time to buy it that day.  It totally backfired.  They were swamped beyond belief that day. 

Bookwormy
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Hence why many of us prefer anti-discrimination laws to tyranny of the majority.

Quoting Anonymous:

Different context but Chick Fil A's stance only enhanced their business.  The day that there was a boycott, people stood in line for a long time to buy it that day.  It totally backfired.  They were swamped beyond belief that day. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Well, the govt didn't mess with that and Chick fil A won with tons of profits.  Just goes to show you what happens when people mouth off. 

Quoting Bookwormy:

Hence why many of us prefer anti-discrimination laws to tyranny of the majority.

Quoting Anonymous:

Bookwormy
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Different state than Oregon or the other 11. We'll see how long till the federal govt includes sexual orientation in nation wide non-discrimination laws. We'll see if the SCOTUS overturns Prop 8 &/or calls DOMA unconstitutional. DADT is gone.

Change is afoot. Change of this magnitude is very uncomfortable. I hope that you find peace on the road to this paradigm shift.

Good Evening.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, the govt didn't mess with that and Chick fil A won with tons of profits.  Just goes to show you what happens when people mouth off. 

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)