Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oregon Baker Faces State Investigation After Refusing to Make Same-Sex Couple’s Wedding Cake

Posted by   + Show Post

Faith

Oregon Baker Faces State Investigation After Refusing to Make Same-Sex Couple’s Wedding Cake

Oregon Baker Faces State Investigation After Refusing to Make Cake for Same Sex Couples Wedding

(Photo: KATU)

An Oregon man may have broken the law and is facing a state investigation after refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex couple’s wedding, KATU reports.

KGW has details on the story:

It started on Jan. 17 when a mother and daughter showed up at Sweet Cakes by Melissa looking for the perfect wedding cake.

“My first question is what’s the wedding date,” said owner Aaron Klein.  “My next question is bride and groom’s name … the girl giggled a little bit and said it’s two brides.”

Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for same-sex marriages.  Klein said the women were disgusted and walked out.

“I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God,” said Klein.  “A man should leave his mother and father and cling to his wife … that to me is the beginning of marriage.”

[...]

“I’d rather have my kids see their dad stand up for what he believes in then to see him bow down because one person complained.”

One of the women filed a complaint on January 28– also saying Klein referred to them as “abominations unto the Lord”– and now the Oregon Attorney General’s civil enforcement officers are investigating the claim.

But Klein says he never used harsh language and has no problem with homosexuals; he just doesn’t want to be a part of their marriage.

“I honestly did not mean to hurt anybody, didn’t mean to make anybody upset, [it’s] just something I believe in very strongly,” he told KATU.

When asked whether he’d be willing to lose his business over the matter, Klein said: “If I have to be to, I guess, be penalized for my beliefs, then I guess, well, that’ll be what it is.”

The case now presents a unique legal dilemma, according to reports, since Oregon law forbids discrimination based on sexual orientation, and the U.S. Constitution protects Klein’s freedom of religion.

Klein has two weeks to file his official account what happened before the attorney general’s office decides how to proceed.

KATU has more on the story, including an interview with Klein:

VIDEO HERE:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/02/baker-under-investigation-after-declining-to-make-gay-couples-wedding-cake-if-i-have-to-be-penalized-for-my-beliefs-so-be-it/

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Replies (21-30):
Ednarooni160
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

I agree with you, I find his "stand" to be a bit much. While I support his right to believe as he wishes he is operating a business that is open to the public and so accepts that his services are available to all that wish to contract with him for such services. And as you pointed out he probably doesn't know much about other clients for which he bakes so to decide that he won't be party to a same-sex marriage, to which he objects, through his cake is just a bit much. After all he isn't being asked to stand up to the wedding or to even attend and I doubt that anyone would consider that the baker has any substantial involvement other than a commercial one.

From another standpoint I must wonder what actually happened in this "he said, she said" situation and am content to let this be decided in a court. I also will be interested in the outcome of this.  

Quoting Ednarooni160:

I'm guessing that since it's in the state law that all businesses have to service the public even in cases of sexual orientation..I'm guessing he's going to face a problem... But..he was honest..and he said he would give up his business if that's what it took..

This is my thought..I know lots of cake bakers that do "anyone's cake".. If you own a restaurant you "usually" don't know what orientation the customer is..if you eat at a restaurant you don't know if the server, owner, or cook is gay. But sadly when you do specialty items..like wedding cakes..you do.. If it had been a birthday cake I doubt there would have been a problem.. So..one has to ask..if you provide a birthday cake for someone..why would you not provide a wedding cake..ergo lies the distinction of one's beliefs that marriage was made for a man and woman only.   Some don't care..some do.

What I was stating was basically that no one knows who's gay or not in the food world UNTIL it is voiced.. This time it was voiced.  I'm sure he could care less what cake he bakes but when confronted with say putting two same figures on a cake..he took  a stand because of his beliefs.. I'm sure this would be the same in any "bakery" that is of deep religious convictions, Christian or otherwise.. IF they hadn't of said anything..I doubt he would have thought anything about it..  I think he did her mothers wedding cake..so ergo they went back to him.  I think he will get into trouble being as it's law based..not sure how constitutional that is but..when a law passes  you either obey it and/or dispute it.  I think it's best to be "upfront" about doing or not doing cakes because of  your religious beliefs. If he had turned down a black man and a white woman that wouldn't be of a "religious" conviction and would be out and out discrimination..  Not sure how this is going to turn out..but he did say he would give up the business if he was forced to do it.  I've seen lots of cake shows (Cake Boss) comes to mind where they make cakes for gays, transgenders etc..  Who knows what they believe or don't believe but they do it..because it's a business..  I am not sure how I would handle it..  I don't believe in the life style and I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman...but..that being said I totally respect anyone untl they give me a reason not to respect them.

I must disagree with you here because there was a time when those that disapproved of interracial couples did use religion as an excuse. Of course now that seems rather ridiculous and it's my personal hope that the issue of same sex marriage will undergo the same change of acceptance as people become accustomed to the idea and see that it is a positive and not a negative. 

While I am not a Christian and while I really don't want to be disapproving of any one's belief's the history of Christianity includes many issues for which Christians used the Bible to justify their particular position at different times including intolerance of others beliefs and religions, acceptance and even the defense of slavery, civil rights for women and African Americans, intolerance of and refusal to accept the gender identity and sexual preferences of others, reproductive rights and choice, etc. While our rights include the freedom of religion, that is a private right to practice a religion of your choice, it doesn't give you the right to discriminate against others who do not share your particular beliefs including within the realm of public accommodation and business.

. He has a choice..although Oregon legally says you "have" to serve everyone.  If you force me to have an abortion because you (.example China) says it's the law..that takes away my freedoms as a chinese citizen to choose whether to have a baby or not ....and not everyone agreed with slavery back in the day..and helped  slaves go to Canada by way of the underground railroad. . So we can't pin all bad things from people because of the bible. If he had denied making a cake for a KKK I would have agreed with him on that also.  I think that there was a post in some group where a cake baker refused to make a birthday cake because the child's name was Hitler or something like that.   I think we should all have a right to say "no" to things we disagree with.. I can't disagree with you that the bible has been used to "control", "manipulate" etc. people.. Money, bibles, etc..can be used for good or bad..some humans tend to "twist" things to get their agendas across.. The "law" is a slippery slope..at one time slavery was the law..and that was wrong (imo)..

GaleJ
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

I agree with you, I find his "stand" to be a bit much. While I support his right to believe as he wishes he is operating a business that is open to the public and so accepts that his services are available to all that wish to contract with him for such services. And as you pointed out he probably doesn't know much about other clients for which he bakes so to decide that he won't be party to a same-sex marriage, to which he objects, through his cake is just a bit much. After all he isn't being asked to stand up to the wedding or to even attend and I doubt that anyone would consider that the baker has any substantial involvement other than a commercial one.

From another standpoint I must wonder what actually happened in this "he said, she said" situation and am content to let this be decided in a court. I also will be interested in the outcome of this.  

Quoting Ednarooni160:

I'm guessing that since it's in the state law that all businesses have to service the public even in cases of sexual orientation..I'm guessing he's going to face a problem... But..he was honest..and he said he would give up his business if that's what it took..

This is my thought..I know lots of cake bakers that do "anyone's cake".. If you own a restaurant you "usually" don't know what orientation the customer is..if you eat at a restaurant you don't know if the server, owner, or cook is gay. But sadly when you do specialty items..like wedding cakes..you do.. If it had been a birthday cake I doubt there would have been a problem.. So..one has to ask..if you provide a birthday cake for someone..why would you not provide a wedding cake..ergo lies the distinction of one's beliefs that marriage was made for a man and woman only.   Some don't care..some do.

What I was stating was basically that no one knows who's gay or not in the food world UNTIL it is voiced.. This time it was voiced.  I'm sure he could care less what cake he bakes but when confronted with say putting two same figures on a cake..he took  a stand because of his beliefs.. I'm sure this would be the same in any "bakery" that is of deep religious convictions, Christian or otherwise.. IF they hadn't of said anything..I doubt he would have thought anything about it..  I think he did her mothers wedding cake..so ergo they went back to him.  I think he will get into trouble being as it's law based..not sure how constitutional that is but..when a law passes  you either obey it and/or dispute it.  I think it's best to be "upfront" about doing or not doing cakes because of  your religious beliefs. If he had turned down a black man and a white woman that wouldn't be of a "religious" conviction and would be out and out discrimination..  Not sure how this is going to turn out..but he did say he would give up the business if he was forced to do it.  I've seen lots of cake shows (Cake Boss) comes to mind where they make cakes for gays, transgenders etc..  Who knows what they believe or don't believe but they do it..because it's a business..  I am not sure how I would handle it..  I don't believe in the life style and I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman...but..that being said I totally respect anyone untl they give me a reason not to respect them.

I must disagree with you here because there was a time when those that disapproved of interracial couples did use religion as an excuse. Of course now that seems rather ridiculous and it's my personal hope that the issue of same sex marriage will undergo the same change of acceptance as people become accustomed to the idea and see that it is a positive and not a negative. 

While I am not a Christian and while I really don't want to be disapproving of any one's belief's the history of Christianity includes many issues for which Christians used the Bible to justify their particular position at different times including intolerance of others beliefs and religions, acceptance and even the defense of slavery, civil rights for women and African Americans, intolerance of and refusal to accept the gender identity and sexual preferences of others, reproductive rights and choice, etc. While our rights include the freedom of religion, that is a private right to practice a religion of your choice, it doesn't give you the right to discriminate against others who do not share your particular beliefs including within the realm of public accommodation and business.

. He has a choice..although Oregon legally says you "have" to serve everyone.  If you force me to have an abortion because you (.example China) says it's the law..that takes away my freedoms as a chinese citizen to choose whether to have a baby or not ....and not everyone agreed with slavery back in the day..and helped  slaves go to Canada by way of the underground railroad. . So we can't pin all bad things from people because of the bible. If he had denied making a cake for a KKK I would have agreed with him on that also.  I think that there was a post in some group where a cake baker refused to make a birthday cake because the child's name was Hitler or something like that.   I think we should all have a right to say "no" to things we disagree with.. I can't disagree with you that the bible has been used to "control", "manipulate" etc. people.. Money, bibles, etc..can be used for good or bad..some humans tend to "twist" things to get their agendas across.. The "law" is a slippery slope..at one time slavery was the law..and that was wrong (imo)..

The man must do business under the laws of the state in which he operates his business. He can, of course refuse to do so in protest of his beliefs but if he chooses to do that then he must accept the consequences of his actions. If public accommodation is required than to not serve a particular customer, for whatever reason, isn't acceptable under the law. He has many choices in this really but the bottom line is that if he has made the choice to operate a public business, his bakery, then in doing so he accepts the laws under which he has acquired a business license and so to refuse to serve someone breaks that law. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:12 AM
There is freedom of religion as well. The guy should have shut up and gone to another bakery.

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

This is my thought..I know lots of cake bakers that do "anyone's
cake".. If you own a restaurant you "usually" don't know what
orientation the customer is..if you eat at a restaurant you don't know
if the server, owner, or cook is gay. But sadly when you do specialty
items..like wedding cakes..you do.. If it had been a birthday cake I
doubt there would have been a problem.. So..one has to ask..if you
provide a birthday cake for someone..why would you not provide a wedding
cake..ergo lies the distinction of one's beliefs that marriage was made
for a man and woman only.   Some don't care..some do.

The man must do business under the laws of the state in which he operates his business. He can, of course refuse to do so in protest of his beliefs but if he chooses to do that then he must accept the consequences of his actions. If public accommodation is required than to not serve a particular customer, for whatever reason, isn't acceptable under the law. He has many choices in this really but the bottom line is that if he has made the choice to operate a public business, his bakery, then in doing so he accepts the laws under which he has acquired a business license and so to refuse to serve someone breaks that law. 

GaleJ
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Do you really want to go there? If the man was of some other faith than his particularly narrow brand of Christianity then he could impose any doctrine of any faith in the area of public accommodation and that would be okay, I don't think so? The reality is that he has freedom of religion, he can follow any religion he likes but what he can't do is impose the restrictions of that religion on the public when he operates a business of public accommodation. It's rather straightforward, no pun intended, and he should have understood that public accommodation would be enforced as civil law and our civil law is not formulated to enforce or to support the beliefs of one faith. To be fair many people operate businesses in which they do not have to serve anyone who they don't wish to but to do that one must operate privately without having a shop that is ostensibly open to the public. This guy wants it both ways and that won't work apparently where he is located in Oregon.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is freedom of religion as well. The guy should have shut up and gone to another bakery.

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

This is my thought..I know lots of cake bakers that do "anyone's
cake".. If you own a restaurant you "usually" don't know what
orientation the customer is..if you eat at a restaurant you don't know
if the server, owner, or cook is gay. But sadly when you do specialty
items..like wedding cakes..you do.. If it had been a birthday cake I
doubt there would have been a problem.. So..one has to ask..if you
provide a birthday cake for someone..why would you not provide a wedding
cake..ergo lies the distinction of one's beliefs that marriage was made
for a man and woman only.   Some don't care..some do.

Shopsha0911
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

He could have just said he didn't have that date available.  Personally I do not believe with his position on this matter and for someone so young he is very narrow minded. 

lindsey31403
by New Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM
They should of just went somewhere else. He has the right to refuse service to anyone and the right to freedom of religion. Wow!
nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

He is not involved with thier wedding, just the reception party afterwards.

If the mother and daughter had said a party cake and not a wedding cake, would he still refuse?  There is the issue.  If he truly has an issue with making a cake for them, why would he make the other types of cakes?  Law or no law.

Pardon the pun, but you can't have your cake and eat it to.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Well, these people probably would have called foul anyway even if they said they had too many on a date. They would have sued and wanted to see records. If not, they would have just walked out and gone elsewhere. Sick of suing and causing shit. Everyone is looking to cause a fight now, ugh.

Quoting Shopsha0911:

He could have just said he didn't have that date available.  Personally I do not believe with his position on this matter and for someone so young he is very narrow minded. 

VeronicaTex
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Excellent, littlemoments99!!!!

Veronica-Roman Catholic Christian

Quoting littlemoments99:

Yep. There it was. Discrimination. It's not discrimination. Homosexuals are on a completely different level than the race card. You cannot choose which race you are and anyone who uses the Bible to say a thing about race is taking the Bible out of context. God says nothing about race. 

You choose to be a homosexual. That is a choice. That's God's view, not mine. If you want to argue, take it up with God. Therefore, because it's a choice you should be able to say it's against your religion or even just your morals to serve that person. Think about everything that can be discriminated against: age, race, gender, none of those you can choose. Now, on the very off chance there can be ones like pregnancy, or married status but no one even pays attention to those. My husband and I were told we could not live in an apartment complex because we were married. We didn't get that, but we tried writing to the BBB and they didn't do a thing about it and they said it wasn't discrimination. But if a homosexual couple wasn't allowed into an apartment complex for being homosexuals, it would be all over the news as a "Discrimination case" 

If someone can show that giving a homosexual couple a wedding cake goes against their religion (and I can) then they should not be forced to do something that is against their beliefs. 

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting GaleJ:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

VeronicaTex
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I fully support the Oregon Baker.

Something is VERY wrong here, having to abide by laws the state has made.

This so reminds me of the HHS the President has imposed on us Catholics: dictatorial.

Veronica-Roman Catholic

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)