Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Years of Math...(it's pretty funny)

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 14 Replies
3 moms liked this

Years of Math 1950 - 2010

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $ 2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register.

I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters , but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this?
Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit ?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In1970s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20.. What do you think of this way of making a
living?

Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok. )

6. Teaching Math In 2009

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto
dinero ha hecho?

7. Teaching Math In 2013

Who cares, just steal the lumber from your rich neighbor's property. He won't have a gun to stop you, and the President says it's OK anyway cuz it's redistributing the wealth.
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imamomzilla
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

sidesplittinglaughter Spot on!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
ROFLMAO. Sad, but true!
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Lmfao!!!!!!! This is so true!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leobaby2007
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM

A conservative friend forwarded it to me. She never forwards me emails unless they are good ones. :-) Thought you ladies might find it humorous.

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

hahahahahahahaha

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

that needs to be shared.....

907PickleMom
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Sad but true!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GertieK
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Much truth there.  I have actually experienced the SAME thing, with a kid who had NO idea as to how to handle giving change, even though the machine would tell him exactly how much to give - if they just entered in the right amount to start with.  Another experience with these math whizzes:  I was buying a slice of pizza from an 18 yr. old senior... and he didn't know how to figure out how much change to give me from a $20 bill for two slices of pizza at $2.00/slice.  My goodness, how sad.  Schools are more worried about teaching kids how to properly use a condom, where to get an abortion if they didn't use it properly (or at all), how they feel about the plight of minorities, and trying to build their self esteem for achieving absolutely nothing at all.  It is why we home-schooled our kids.  It is also how they managed to be well-educated with some common sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:46 PM

The math part is funny but the errors in the Spanish aren`t.

They should have at least made an effort to get it right.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:56 PM

not just that but some people, some of the smartest people i've know, great gpa's attend/attended great universaties, STILL suck at math.. i am a hs dropout, horrible gpa and some of these people ask ME for help in math.... some people just dont get it andapperentlynever will =/ i hate math, it's too easy for me, i think it's common sense !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN