Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colonoscopy

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:53 AM
  • 14 Replies
anyone had one? Im scheduled for one on the 20th. Im not sure what im more scared about: the prep( not sure i can live off of popsicles,chicken broth, juice and water...even for just a day. Plus i can only have tylenol for 5 days prior and i typically get bad migraines that only ib profen can take care of) the procedure(ive heard most people say it doesnt hurt, but i had one person say they got stuck on part of her intestine and she felt it), or the results.

I know they sedate you, but will i actually be asleep or just relaxed enough to not really know whats going on?

~Melissa~Wife to Jarrod~Mommy to Nathan, Kristina, Tyler, and Ryan~

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nathans_mom0612
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM

BUMP!

Nathans_mom0612
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:25 AM

BUMP!

Nathans_mom0612
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM
prep is the worst part.
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

The prep is horrible but ya gotta get it cleaned out.  The procedure itself doesn't hurt and I've had friends that were put under and some were just in  a twilight state............unfortunately I haven't had one because the prep didn't work on me..........

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I haven't had a colonoscopy, but I had a flex sig (where they only go part of the way).  It was pretty uncomfortable, but they did not sedate me at all.  You will likely be asleep and the procedure won't be bad.  The not eating is tough and the meds they give are not comfortable either. 

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Nathans_mom0612
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Quoting storkradio193:

I haven't had a colonoscopy, but I had a flex sig (where they only go part of the way).  It was pretty uncomfortable, but they did not sedate me at all.  You will likely be asleep and the procedure won't be bad.  The not eating is tough and the meds they give are not comfortable either. 

Yeah not looking forward to being attached to the toilet all day. But my health is more important than one day of misery. They wouldnt be doing it if they didnt feel something was really wrong.

~Melissa~Wife to Jarrod~Mommy to Nathan, Kristina, Tyler, and Ryan~

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I had my first routine one a few months ago. The 'new' prep they gave me was to be started 12 hours before the procedure, which meant 6pm the night before, not all day. That was the hardest part. I was put to sleep. I have a tortuous colon, which means it's extra long. The thing did get 'hung up' a couple times, but they just massage the lower abdomen to help it along.

Sisteract
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I have cancelled mine 4 times.

I am very conflicted with having an invasive test and sedation for a procedure when I am having zero symptoms that indicate a problem.

I have known a couple of folks who have had bad outcomes- I am not willing to take that chance without indications.

The cynic in me sees this as a way for certain docs to make a whole lot of money.

hhhanna
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM

As others have said, prep is the worst part, but for me it really wasn't THAT bad.  I've had bouts with diarrhea which were MUCH MUCH worse.  I had the prep part all worked up in my mind, and in comparison to what it actually was, it wasn't bad.

As for the procedure, you're majorly relaxed, they kinda want you wake and there, but I nodded out several times.  I actually only remember waking up twice, looked up at the big screen (yes there was a big screen TV where they were seeing what was going on inside me), decided I didn't like the channel and nodded off again.  About the only other annoying part was the amount of air that you expel for the next day (and it was air with no smell, just some noisy sounds - lol).

So don't freak out, not really a big deal, you can handle it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)