Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Parents Shocked After Their Down Syndrome Daughter Comes Home From School With Her Feet Duct Taped So Tight She Bruised

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM
  • 40 Replies

Parents Shocked After Their Down Syndrome Daughter Comes Home From School With Her Feet Duct Taped So Tight She Bruised

Parents are seeking answers from a school that sent their 8-year-old with Down syndrome home with feet bound so tightly with duct tape that it cut off circulation to the point where she couldn’t even walk off the bus.

Indiana 8 Year Old With Down Syndrome Has Shoes Bound to Socks With Duct Tape

Shaylyn Searcy (Image: Indianapolis Star video screenshot)

The parents of Shaylyn Searcy, who attends Westlake Elementary School in Wayne Township, Indiana, recalled their confusion to the Indianapolis Star when their daughter wouldn’t get off the bus because her socks were duct taped to her shoes:

“She said, ‘I can’t. It hurts.’ So we had to carry her off the bus,” said Elizabeth Searcy, 29.

“She had duct tape all the way from her feet up around the tops of her ankles. And it was industrial duct tape. It literally pulled fabric off her socks and vinyl off her shoes, it was so strong.”

Watch this report about the incident:

Elizabeth Searcy said her daughter sometimes has trouble leaving her shoes on, which might have prompted someone to tape them onto the child, but Searcy said, ”I don’t know why they couldn’t have called me again this time.”

The Star reported Shaylyn’s parents taking her back to school with the tape still on her feet to help get it off. It took 30 minutes and left bruises on the girl.

Here’s The Star’s video interview with Shaylyn’s parents:

The school released a statement to RTV6 that read:

“We have had the opportunity to meet with the parents of the student involved in this reported incident and have begun our own investigation. We have notified the Indiana Department of Child Services of the incident, and if warranted, we will file a report with the agency. We have also involved our own law enforcement officers in the investigation. When the investigation into this incident is concluded, we will take appropriate action.”

Kim Dodson, the director of the special-needs advocacy group Arc of Indiana, told The Star the situation is an “outage.” The organization is advocating for laws that would protect children like Shaylyn from abuse of “seclusion and restraint” policies.

In the mean time, Shaylyn’s parents have removed her from Westlake to send her to the school she attended last year, WTHR reported.

(H/T: News Net 5)

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RigPrincess85
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Omg.... That poor baby! What the heck is wrong with people???? I hope whoever did this to that child is brought to justice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thefiregoddess
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Oh good lord.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Why does she have to have shoes on.
dinc
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:05 AM

If you are at school you need shoes on in case there is a fire or other reason to leave in a hurry.  The teacher does not have time to sort out shoes.

TattoomamaPink
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Oh wow I would be one pissed off Mama who would be raising Hell!!!

VeronicaTex
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM
2 moms liked this

This OUTRAGES ME!!!

I am outraged both as a mother of a Down Syndrome child and a former teacher in the Elementary Public School.

I do not know where to begin....

The school personell who did this should be FIRST in line, in my humble opinion, to be disciplined.

I have a child who likes to run without her shoes at home.  However, I do not have a problem like this when we go out. She now wears socks and shoes with ties. I need to help her tie her shoes.   If she takes them off in the car, they need to go back on.

What needs to be done is to develop a routine that is repeated over and over. There are positive ways to do this to get a child with Down Syndrome involved, using steps, praise, repetition, ect.  It can be done.

The problem I see in the classroom, without knowing what went on that led to this, was that perhaps the routine was an old one that was allowed to go on.

However, an ADULT got frustrated beyond ACCEPTABLE, not exercising the endless patience a person has to have for a child with Special Needs.

I am glad the parents removed the child from the school. 

I pray for her and her parents that returning her to the old school will be beneficial for her, and that the investigation yields the truth and following, appropriate action be taken.

Veronica, Mother of a child with Down Syndrome

LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Someone head would have to be duct taped on bc heads would be rolling.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VeronicaTex
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Former elementary school teacher of 21 years and Mother of a child with Down Syndrome

In a Special Needs classroom, there needs to be arrangements in place for such situations where a child likes to take their shoes off. 

Teachers and aides MUST do what NEEDS to be done. Period.

Veronica

Quoting dinc:

If you are at school you need shoes on in case there is a fire or other reason to leave in a hurry.  The teacher does not have time to sort out shoes.

LittlePistol87
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM

SMH 

kailu1835
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM
2 moms liked this

I had a shoe bottom fall off my shoe the very first time I wore them to school when I was in 1st grade.  My teacher put a single strip of duct tape around the shoe.  If they were going to duct tape her shoes on, all it takes is a single strip.  They don't need to mummy wrap her feet, and obviously it was tight enough to restrict circulation, risking damage to her feet.  Completely unacceptable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN