Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Parents Shocked After Their Down Syndrome Daughter Comes Home From School With Her Feet Duct Taped So Tight She Bruised

Posted by   + Show Post

Parents Shocked After Their Down Syndrome Daughter Comes Home From School With Her Feet Duct Taped So Tight She Bruised

Parents are seeking answers from a school that sent their 8-year-old with Down syndrome home with feet bound so tightly with duct tape that it cut off circulation to the point where she couldn’t even walk off the bus.

Indiana 8 Year Old With Down Syndrome Has Shoes Bound to Socks With Duct Tape

Shaylyn Searcy (Image: Indianapolis Star video screenshot)

The parents of Shaylyn Searcy, who attends Westlake Elementary School in Wayne Township, Indiana, recalled their confusion to the Indianapolis Star when their daughter wouldn’t get off the bus because her socks were duct taped to her shoes:

“She said, ‘I can’t. It hurts.’ So we had to carry her off the bus,” said Elizabeth Searcy, 29.

“She had duct tape all the way from her feet up around the tops of her ankles. And it was industrial duct tape. It literally pulled fabric off her socks and vinyl off her shoes, it was so strong.”

Watch this report about the incident:

Elizabeth Searcy said her daughter sometimes has trouble leaving her shoes on, which might have prompted someone to tape them onto the child, but Searcy said, ”I don’t know why they couldn’t have called me again this time.”

The Star reported Shaylyn’s parents taking her back to school with the tape still on her feet to help get it off. It took 30 minutes and left bruises on the girl.

Here’s The Star’s video interview with Shaylyn’s parents:

The school released a statement to RTV6 that read:

“We have had the opportunity to meet with the parents of the student involved in this reported incident and have begun our own investigation. We have notified the Indiana Department of Child Services of the incident, and if warranted, we will file a report with the agency. We have also involved our own law enforcement officers in the investigation. When the investigation into this incident is concluded, we will take appropriate action.”

Kim Dodson, the director of the special-needs advocacy group Arc of Indiana, told The Star the situation is an “outage.” The organization is advocating for laws that would protect children like Shaylyn from abuse of “seclusion and restraint” policies.

In the mean time, Shaylyn’s parents have removed her from Westlake to send her to the school she attended last year, WTHR reported.

(H/T: News Net 5)

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Replies (31-40):
Ednarooni160
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not. I have valid points you can't see. Did this teacher have to spend every minute putting socks on? If so that child should not be there. What good does that do the child if they can't get anything out of school or that classroom. Never said I agreed with the tape. I said I didn't.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Ednarooni, my friend, we have a heckler here.

You will understand why I am cutting her off,  and will not be going in her "direction" anymore:  ignoring her.

This is too important a post to be sabotaged like this!!!

Thank you!!!

Veronica

What if it had been child throwing up..or a sleepy child..or a difficult child..or a scared child who didn't want to move.. There should be ways of dealing with this without being abusive..  I am hoping that the school will take this and learn from it..  The teacher signed a contract to deal with kids..it doesn't say "only" certain kids and/or do whatever in an emergency to "certain" kids.  The shoe falling off could have happened to a non special needs kid.. Kids are kids..

Ednarooni160
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting VeronicaTex:

I appreciate your comment, having been a teacher myself.

I do know having a child of my own with Down Syndrome, and knowing others,  that they do have some habits that do not make sense to us.  :) , like the insistence of taking shoes and socks off.  

Somewhere along the line it must have become a routine at home, and a frustrating one at that, for Mom to constantly deal with.

The article alludes to the fact that the Mother had been called previously about it, and told that it was a reoccuring problem.

As a Mom of a Special Needs child I say "Try telling that to her.!!!!"   A Mom, teacher, or caregiver needs to get inventive and above all, have patience.

I believe the real point of the article here is the extreme that a staff member went to enforce something.  She had no permission to do such a thing, and lacked self-control, in what ever capacity she served in.

I had my daughter's long hair pulled at school years ago to make her behave, by an aide in a Special Needs class, out of frustration. You can BET I was LIVID when I found out.

I hope the offending person is severely disciplined.  

That sweet innocent soul did NOT deserve that, nor did her parents deserve to disrespected by selfish actions.

Veronica

Quoting dinc:

I have been a teacher for many years and have worked in several districts.  I have never ever been in or seen or known of a classroom where children were allowed to take their shoes off.  Never.  It was against the rules, policy or whatever.  It is unsafe.

I also teach children at church and won't let them take theirs off for the same reason.  It is a safety thing.  The only time they take them off is when we go to the indoor playground which is like one at McDonalds and they have to leave their socks on. 

No one should have treated this little girl this way, no matter what. 

pasteeater
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I think any one who thinks this ok shouldn't have children. I say that because one thing my children have taught me is compassion for all children. This just isn't right. My younger brother has Downs. My mother isn't allowed to have her in her home due to abuse. Guess who turned her in? Me. I'd do it again.

If Any moms on here think it's acceptable, what if it were your child? Special needs or not, I'd hope that you'd be furious if your child came home with bruises. If the teachers are ok with this then what do you think is going on when nobody is looking? It takes balls to send a child home with bruises.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

I am not. I have valid points you can't see. Did this teacher have to spend every minute putting socks on? If so that child should not be there. What good does that do the child if they can't get anything out of school or that classroom. Never said I agreed with the tape. I said I didn't.

Quoting VeronicaTex:

You will understand why I am cutting her off,  and will not be going in her "direction" anymore:  ignoring her.

Thank you!!!

Veronica

What if it had been child throwing up..or a sleepy child..or a difficult child..or a scared child who didn't want to move.. There should be ways of dealing with this without being abusive..  I am hoping that the school will take this and learn from it..  The teacher signed a contract to deal with kids..it doesn't say "only" certain kids and/or do whatever in an emergency to "certain" kids.  The shoe falling off could have happened to a non special needs kid.. Kids are kids..

My dd had a girl that twirled around the room most of the time.  The teacher just let her do it and went on teaching.  How distracting in a HS class that was for kids to learn shorthand note taking and ACT prep and study skills.  That girl should have been only in the CMC for the special needs kids.  She was most of the time, but I guess her Mom wanted her in that class.  She was incapable of learning anything in the class and was disruptive.  If I had a child with special needs I would want the best environment for my child as well as every other child involved.  If my child can't learn in a normal classroom why would I put her in there?  This is not acceptable but how many times can a teacher put on shoes to when it is not acceptable to have the child in the classroom and deprive the kids of learning time?

Ednarooni160
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Thank you!!!

Veronica

My dd had a girl that twirled around the room most of the time.  The teacher just let her do it and went on teaching.  How distracting in a HS class that was for kids to learn shorthand note taking and ACT prep and study skills.  That girl should have been only in the CMC for the special needs kids.  She was most of the time, but I guess her Mom wanted her in that class.  She was incapable of learning anything in the class and was disruptive.  If I had a child with special needs I would want the best environment for my child as well as every other child involved.  If my child can't learn in a normal classroom why would I put her in there?  This is not acceptable but how many times can a teacher put on shoes to when it is not acceptable to have the child in the classroom and deprive the kids of learning time?

In this day and age..people should UNDERSTAND that kids are kids..and certain kids have different "habits"..some good some bad.. I do agree that special need kids should be in special need classes..but what if there's not enough for a classroom? Then what?  Shouldn't the school  then decide and determine what is needed in either case..  I would want the best for my child also..but if there's no special needs class I'm still going to want my child to be enrolled in school..and the school (as I'm a taxpayer) should take her/him.  We can teach kids from other countries who aren't even legal..give them special books, special test, provide teachers and we can't special needs kids, in low numbers?.. We think they are "disruptive"??  Doesn't make sense to me..  Maybe our priorities in this country is off..as far as who should get what attention first.  OR lets stop with all the ungodly pork spending and start spending money on our national treasure which in my opinion is our kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Thank you!!!

Veronica

In this day and age..people should UNDERSTAND that kids are kids..and certain kids have different "habits"..some good some bad.. I do agree that special need kids should be in special need classes..but what if there's not enough for a classroom? Then what?  Shouldn't the school  then decide and determine what is needed in either case..  I would want the best for my child also..but if there's no special needs class I'm still going to want my child to be enrolled in school..and the school (as I'm a taxpayer) should take her/him.  We can teach kids from other countries who aren't even legal..give them special books, special test, provide teachers and we can't special needs kids, in low numbers?.. We think they are "disruptive"??  Doesn't make sense to me..  Maybe our priorities in this country is off..as far as who should get what attention first.  OR lets stop with all the ungodly pork spending and start spending money on our national treasure which in my opinion is our kids.

CMC is not a classroom, per se.  It is where kids can learn one on one if they need to, or just for quiet testing for kids who have IEP's.  So no matter what kids should be mainstreamed in normal classrooms if another option is not there? 

Ednarooni160
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Thank you!!!

Veronica

CMC is not a classroom, per se.  It is where kids can learn one on one if they need to, or just for quiet testing for kids who have IEP's.  So no matter what kids should be mainstreamed in normal classrooms if another option is not there? 

What do you think they should do..stay home while "normal" (iyo)  persay kids get an education and miss socializing with other kids?.. What the hell do we pay our taxes for..just for NORMAL kids..Normal meaning whatever other mothers DEEM normal?..  I would LOVE to meet a PERFECT kid..not going to happen.  What about kids in a wheel chair..someone probably has to help them in the bathroom.. One kid in a chair verse other kids NOT in a chair.  I'm sure that takes away from MAINSTREAM kids as well.. My gosh the lack of compassion I'm reading today in this group.. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Thank you!!!

Veronica

What do you think they should do..stay home while "normal" (iyo)  persay kids get an education and miss socializing with other kids?.. What the hell do we pay our taxes for..just for NORMAL kids..Normal meaning whatever other mothers DEEM normal?..  I would LOVE to meet a PERFECT kid..not going to happen.  What about kids in a wheel chair..someone probably has to help them in the bathroom.. One kid in a chair verse other kids NOT in a chair.  I'm sure that takes away from MAINSTREAM kids as well.. My gosh the lack of compassion I'm reading today in this group.. 

There should be provided teachers.  I am realistic.  Kids can't learn as it is today.  What if the teacher is distracted and can only teach 50% of the time because of special needs kids?  Is that fair to the others?  I guess I see both sides of it and you see one.  Do you want your kid to get 50% of the teachers time, or 100%?  LIke I said before my DD had a kid twirl and jump around in class.  The kids are supposed to ignore that every day and the teacher too?  Many kids are fine.  My dd had a down syndrome girl with an aide in 1st grade.  She sat and behaved just like the other kids.  She was 2 years older than them, her 3rd time in 1st grade but she wasn't a distraction and had an aide to help if need be.  She wasn't up running around and distracting the others. 

Ednarooni160
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Thank you!!!

Veronica

There should be provided teachers.  I am realistic.  Kids can't learn as it is today.  What if the teacher is distracted and can only teach 50% of the time because of special needs kids?  Is that fair to the others?  I guess I see both sides of it and you see one.  Do you want your kid to get 50% of the teachers time, or 100%?  LIke I said before my DD had a kid twirl and jump around in class.  The kids are supposed to ignore that every day and the teacher too?  Many kids are fine.  My dd had a down syndrome girl with an aide in 1st grade.  She sat and behaved just like the other kids.  She was 2 years older than them, her 3rd time in 1st grade but she wasn't a distraction and had an aide to help if need be.  She wasn't up running around and distracting the others. 

I think schools should "address" these things.,for the benefit of all students..   I think  all kids should be given the opportunity to have an education and to socialize with other kids..it's the right of every taxpayer to see that for their children..whether they are special needs or not..    I do agree with you on this.. KIDS can't learn as it is today.. I am appalled at HOW many students each teacher has..that's mind boggling.  Back in the day we thought 16 -19 students were a LOT.  I think there is over crowding.. Hopefully there will be a classroom and/or whatever put forward for special need kids..  I also want to address this..and this is not directed at you.. I think when kids are "familiarized" with special needs kids they hopefully "understand" the differences humans endure even in child hood.. Kind of reminds me of the movie called Simon Birch??  Not sure of the title.. I hear what you are saying.. I just hope that "human" compassion prevails and HOPEFULLY..schools will find better ways to help ALL the students.  Special needs or not special need kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Back in the day? I am 50. We had over 30+ kids in all classes and learned so much more. No aids either. Kids rarely disrupted classes. If they did to the office they went.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting VeronicaTex:

Thank you!!!

Veronica

I think schools should "address" these things.,for the benefit of all students..   I think  all kids should be given the opportunity
to have an education and to socialize with other kids..it's the right of every taxpayer to see that for their children..whether they are special needs or not..    I do agree with you on this.. KIDS can't learn as it is today.. I am
appalled at HOW many students each teacher has..that's mind boggling.  Back in the day we thought 16 -19 students were a LOT.  I think there is
over crowding.. Hopefully there will be a classroom and/or whatever put forward for special need kids..  I also want to address this..and this is not directed at you.. I think when kids are "familiarized" with special needs kids they hopefully "understand" the differences humans endure even in child hood.. Kind of reminds me of the movie called Simon Birch??  Not sure of the title.. I hear what you are saying.. I just hope that "human" compassion prevails and HOPEFULLY..schools will find better ways to help ALL the students.  Special needs or not special need kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)