Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Poll

Question: Do you think the Boy Scouts should allow gays/lesbians in?

Options:

YES

NO

I DON'T CARE EITHER WAY

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 28

View Results

First off my DS is not even in kindergarten yet, so Boy Scouts is a few years away for us.  But I heard on the news the other day that the Boy Scouts is considering changing their stand on gay/lesbian in the Scouts.  Some people have already said that if they allow openly gay/lesbian people into the orginization, they will take their boys out of Scouts.

Personally, I don't care what a person is(race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.) as long as they treat my kids the right way.

How do you feel about the rule change?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Replies (11-17):
Barabell
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Quoting marchantmom06:

I wouldn't allow my boys to attend if they changed the rules. It's a Christian orginazation. Based on christian practices. That's like asking the pope to change the bible. Just like I wouldn't want a murderer or a child molester or a wife beater or a thief leading the group. It's against the Christian beliefs. But if they change it more power to them.

Boy Scouts are not a Christian organization. Typically, churches do have troops, and there is a "spiritual" requirement in the book. But the book does not specify any particular religion in that section. We are not church-goers, and so my son's troop leader just lets my son skip over that section. He does belong to a troop that is run by a church, but they do not make him pray or attend the church to be part of that troop. There are troops not run by churches in our area, but his friends go to that particular troop.

ETA - That section of the scout book clearly references Christian, Jewish, and Muslim faiths, and it does not favor one religion over another.

Barabell
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:36 PM

My son's district BSA counsil already allows openly gay and lesbian members, and so this would be no change for us.

Mistweave
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Just like judging someone is a sin. Hmmm...

Quoting marchantmom06:

That's YOUR interpretation. It says no man shall lie with another man like he would with a woman. That says nothing about little boys.

And also sex before marriage is a sin, it's written over and over. So if gay marriage isn't legal then they are committing a sin just by sleeping together.
And no sin is greater than another.

Quoting Mistweave:

There's nothing wrong with being gay even in the christian religion. The bible talks about men with little boys when it says anything about homosexual activity being wrong.

Quoting marchantmom06:

I wouldn't allow my boys to attend if they changed the rules. It's a Christian orginazation. Based on christian practices. That's like asking the pope to change the bible. Just like I wouldn't want a murderer or a child molester or a wife beater or a thief leading the group. It's against the Christian beliefs. But if they change it more power to them.

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a459/ohbeefam99/vampire/lasombra.png
Marimaru
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have boys, but if I did, I'd be more likely to let them in if they do allow gays, rather than not.  I get that there is a religious base there, but I think they should be more concerned with the lessons that a scout type environment can teach kids, rather than what type of lifestyle the person leaves outside the scouts (within the law, of course).

aCafemomma
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I really don't care who they sleep with i have more important things in my life to worry about who other people are banging

aCafemomma
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Judge no least ye be judged.....

Let those without sin cast the first stone.......

Quoting Mistweave:

Just like judging someone is a sin. Hmmm...

Quoting marchantmom06:

That's YOUR interpretation. It says no man shall lie with another man like he would with a woman. That says nothing about little boys.

And also sex before marriage is a sin, it's written over and over. So if gay marriage isn't legal then they are committing a sin just by sleeping together.

Quoting Mistweave:

There's nothing wrong with being gay even in the christian religion. The bible talks about men with little boys when it says anything about homosexual activity being wrong.

Quoting marchantmom06:

storkradio193
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Go here.  It is a link from the Boy Scouts of America website.  There are numerous religious affliliations (Protestant, Catholic, Mormon, Jewish, Buddhist). 

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Membership/Charter_Partners/Religious.aspx

I am not interested in debating the Biblical text.  My point was simply that we all interpret (read the entire chapter or book with the verse you are discussing and there is much more, for example).

Quoting marchantmom06:

The boy scouts of America is a christian orginazation. Sorry to burst that bubble. There are other scout groups and chapters that allow other religions to form their own clubs off this orginal. But doesn't change what it is.

And you can say what you want the bible which ALL christan denominations follow says the same thing. Would you like the chapter and verse?

Quoting storkradio193:

No matter one's interpretation of the Bible, the Boy Scouts is not a Christian organization.  Many churches have scouts in their churches as youth programs, but so do non-Christians.  There are many Jewish scouting troops, for example.

The Bible or any sacred text is open to many interpretations and each group picks certain teachings and leaves others behind.  That is why there are around 30,000 Christian denominations worldwide.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting Mistweave:

Quoting marchantmom06:

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN