Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

But, So and Why Me...

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM
  • 11 Replies
But, So and Why Me...

As some of you know, I and my family have had a bit of hard couple of years...I won't bore you with the particulars...let's just say it's been pretty perpetual, lol.  So, I thought I would share something with you regarding how I choose to look at it.  Please, I'm not looking for sympathy...as my dad would say "You can find sympathy between shit and syphilis in the dictionary"  This is nothing more than an observation for your consideration.  Let's just discuss 2013...let's keep in mind that it's only the end of the first week of February:

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SimpleComSense
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM
The first week of January my husband, James, was leaving a Special Olympics practice where he coaches, when his crutches slipped on the ice. He fell and landed on the worst of the two knees that he needs replaced, tearing everything that was left and his knee is now permanently dislocated...

But...

He has an appointment on the 20th of Feb and this time the surgeon will HAVE to schedule surgery...no more hoops or excuses. 30yrs he has waited for relief.

That same week, my daughter started cardiac testing because something appears to be wrong with her heart which started when she was pregnant...

But...

There doesn't appear to be anything structurally wrong with her heart and the symptoms seem to be improving.

SimpleComSense
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM
The second week of January, James came home with a horrible stomach flu. Everyone else that he was with got it for a day...James had it for over a week. Between his knee and the flu, he missed about two out of three of the first weeks of Jan from work...

But...

I have an 11wk old that was in the NICU for two weeks after she was born in late November with premature lungs, a four year old, my daughter and myself in the house with him...and none of us caught it.

SimpleComSense
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM
The third week in January, I got the results back from my mammogram. They found several "issues" that needed further study...

But...

I was able to get an appointment within 10 days due to a cancelation instead of having to wait a month and worrying for that much longer. I would go back for another mammogram on Feb. 5th.

The same day I received the letter about the mammogram my granddaughter, Aubrey, who was 9wks old at the time, started sneezing and developed a runny nose. The next 10 days saw everyone in the house getting a cold and Aubrey had repeated trips to Children's Hospital for fever, then respirator congestion and then, last Sunday, February 3rd, she turned blue in her bed. Liddia rushed her to the Children's Hospital where they suctioned her out after she turned blue again and Aubrey and Liddia spent two fun filled days in the hospital...

But...

Aubrey has turned a corner, her breathing is doing much better. She appears to be coming out the other side of what for the rest of us was a bad cold, for her, it could have been really bad.

SimpleComSense
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM
February 5th...I went back to the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance for more thorough testing. Sure enough, they found four "questionable" images on my mammogram and this was confirmed with ultrasound. I was scheduled for a needle aspiration and if it turned out to be solid, a full biopsy the next day...

But...

They turned out to be cysts! I am free and clear until next year!!

SimpleComSense
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:19 PM
This morning, February 8th, my daughter was out delivering newspapers in the dark as we always do early Friday morning, when the only vehicle we own that we can carry the baby in suddenly shot into the "hot" zone on the dash and steam shot up from under the hood. We are totally without any way of transporting the kids without this vehicle and Aubrey had a Dr appointment this afternoon. Our other vehicle is a pickup truck and only seats two.

But...

The car broke down a block from the nice man that is our mechanic. James was able to leave work and pick Liddia up after parking the car in this man's front yard with a sign that said...We will call you if you don't call us first. Liddia took James to work and finished what she needed to do. My son, who is now the "boss", offered to take the afternoon off, bring us lunch and take us to Aubrey's Dr. appointment. He's even going to take Adam, the 4yr old, on an adventure while we are in the hospital with Aubrey.

SimpleComSense
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM
We had hoped that it the Durango was just a hose, a quick and cheap fix...no, it appears to be the radiator and because it is a V8 Hemmie...it's going to be hell to fix. It's going to cost us about $300-$400. This is unfortunate because James just got back to work and Liddia doesn't go back until next week...her cardiac issues and a screw up with the company she works for postponed her return from maternity leave by a couple of weeks...

But...

The nice man who is our mechanic has offered to fix it and give it back to us and either take the truck as collateral until we can pay it or possible just let us make payments...he's done this before when we had our truck, the Durango and my in-laws car that we had to borrow, all break down in the same two weeks a year or so ago. He let us "rotate" the vehicles we needed so we always had the one we needed when we needed it.

SimpleComSense
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM
So...

Why me? Well, why not me. I'm no more special or entitled than anyone else and I'm actually very lucky, lol. How, you might ask? I have my family who love and support me. I have friends that are always there for us and everyone is still breathing. There are people out there that may not have the "little" stuff happen to them perpetually, but what has happened makes my situation pale in comparison. There is ALWAYS someone worse off then you...unless your dead. At that point, do you really think you care? Oh, don't get me wrong...I have my moments of frustration, fear and desperation...I'm human for goodness sake. But, I wouldn't want to change a thing or be someone else. I wouldn't mind catching a break from all the crap that seems to happen but...well, shit happens and when it does, it tend to roll downhill...but it makes me who I am. It defines you...and it can define you negatively or positively, it's your choice. If I changed one thing...I would be different and might not have the people I love...I would never chance that.

My mom told me the other day when I called her and finally broke down..."We are tough old birds you and I. You have always been a tough old bird"

So...

That's who I am... a tough old bird with hopes for the future without drama and the belief that the drama WILL end. I swear, I am running as fast as I can away from the drama...I just have no idea why it's chasing me, lol. I have the ability to breath.

So, that's what I plan to do for as long as I am allowed...I'm going to breath.
I hope you have enjoyed reading this and if you were able to take anything positive from it...I'm glad! I wish you all health and hope for you and yours. Have a great day...you never know what tomorrow will bring.
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad things are looking up ! Huge hugs momma you and your family has had more than its share of pain ! I hope the rest of 2013 showers you will love & good things .Hoping his surgery goes well.

Bellmont
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Shit happens to all of us. We shovel are way out.  I will & you will but it feels good to talk it out. The year will get better you just watch & see.

SimpleComSense
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Lol, that is true...and the point.  Whether you need a big shovel or a little one...we all need one.  I guess I could nash my teeth and pull out my hair but...what would that accomplish...destoyed teeth which would require a dentist and a bald head which would require a hat..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)