Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Question for pro gun families.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

How old we're your children when you started teaching proper gun use and safety?  What did you start with?  What was your stance on toy guns at a young age?  

Please don't use this as a debate or get nasty with other posters.  I am just interest in the ways people teach their children about gun safety and the proper uses for guns.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
NewMom11222011
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

We have an 11 y/o preadoptive foster son and we started with day one when he came to visit.  We would have started with a biological child the first time he/she expressed interest in my husband's military firearm collection. 

We told him you never even aim a toy gun at another person.  You aim it at the ground near them, over their head, or to their side.  We told him you must always assume a gun is loaded.  We will not let him touch firearms until he is responsible, which is still years away in his case.  He has his own child size bow with arrows and my husband (who was an archery instructor) watches him like a hawk.  All the guns and bows/arrows are locked with multiple layers of redundancy.

Mama2Spencerninja

ReadWriteLuv
Allright 2015, you heinous bitch. Bring it on!
Yesterday at 5:22 PM
by Casey on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM

We started our daughter with a pellet gun around 7 to learn the basics of gun safety, then worked her up to a .22 short rifle now at the age of 9. 

pj2becca21
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

my daughter will be 5 in june and she will be enrolled in a Firearms safety summer program. after that then she will be in anyother classes I can find for children till she is 10 then she will start going to the range with us:) 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I think my son was 11 and daughter 8 when I got my gun. I told them that it is used to kill, it's not a toy. I showed them if they ever pick one up, to open it up immediately (I have a revolver). My son showed interest, my daughter did not. I took him to the range, and that was it for him...he had no further interest. Now he's 33 and still no interest. My daughter is 30, recently bought a .9mm. It is too big for her. She'll be visiting this weekend and I hope to talk her into trading it in for a small .38.

AustinRonMommy
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:36 PM

My boys are 5 and 3. They know that there are real guns and toy guns and that there is a difference. They know that they are not allowed to play with real ones and that even toy guns are not to EVER EVER EVER be pointed at people. And that they are to treat every gun as if it is loaded.

imamomzilla
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM

There are some excellent hunter safety classes offered by the Game Commission. I highly recommend them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM

At 4 years old my daughter was shown an unloaded gun and that it was not to be touched and she should get one of us or an adult if for some reason she found a gun in someones house immediately.  We told her its not a play thing and to keep away.  Then when she was 5 my husband went through how to safely hold or pick up a gun with an unloaded gun. We did that a few times went more into the dangers of guns and how they can harm others.  We also went thru why we have weapons in the house, i.e. to protect, why they are locked up, etc. Then my husband brought her shooting and let her shoot a bb gun.  We have done that at least 4 times since she turned 6. Next Christmas we are getting her a bb gun for further training on shooting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN