Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NO JOKE!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

Could someone PLEASE explain stay-at-home moms whose kids are all in school full time?

ALL of my friends' moms were stay-at-home moms while they were in school 8 hours a day.  I never understood it because once we both were in school full-time my mom took a part-time job which meant there was more "wealth" to go around for the family.  My friends were always so jealous and acted like we were rich.  We weren't rich by any means (I bet the two of them brought in around 30-50k a year) but for whatever reason, women where I grew up didn't work after having kids.  People looked at me like I was a snob because my parents had TWO incomes and we could afford nicer things.  I always felt like their moms were being selfish.  I'd see my friends' dads come home from work while I was over and think, she could have at least put some food back for him.  It was like the men were to serve them. 

And my parents would always pay my friends' way when we wanted to do stuff because their parents would give them less than they needed (seemed like on purpose) even though they gave them permission to come along and knew exactly what we were going to do.  It was as if they were jealous.  It's not our faults you won't work. 

Everybody in town knows each other and it seemed like the moms just hung out with each other all day, except my mom.  She was the "outcast" because she had a job.  GASP.  And I'm not old, I didn't grow up in a totally different time.  I'm 24! 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sjenkins8208
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Well I'm a sahm right now. When my kid(s) are in school full time idk if I'll get a job or not. We don't need the money, there is plenty of wealth going round as it is, and I like knowing I'll be able to take my kids to school and pick them up. My husband would prefer I stay at home too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM

My mom was always able to drop us off and pick us up and still worked.  There are several part-time ladies in my building who don't need jobs but work and their money goes to things like vacations and christmas. 

MommyBear28
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I am a sahm but I plan on going back to work when all my kiddies are in school full day! It's nice being home now, but when they're all in school I would expect to find it boring being alone all day!

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

My son is in 6th grade and I'm still a SAHM. We homeschool though so our situation is a little different but we can still afford to do things with him or give him money for activities.

Almazori
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I'm a sahm I have teenagers but also a toddler. When she gets old enough for school I will probably continue to be a sahm as my husband makes good money and we also have our own company that we run out of our home so I help with that. My mom was a sahm and I'm glad I get to be one also. When my older ones were younger I had to work full time because of the situation i was in with  my ex, and I felt that I missed out on a lot with them. They see the difference of having me home all the time now and they enjoy it, they like not having to come home to a empty house. It's totally a personally choice, I give big props to women who work full time and raise a family, that's a lot of work for one woman to do.

artemisa3001
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I wanted to be SAHM until my DD started school, she started montessori at age 2 then I couldn't find a job in what I studied and liked with the hours I liked, so I kept looking for almost 2 more years, I was dying at home, bored to dead, finally I was able to start my own business and I'm really happy right now!

Some people just prefer being at home, IDK, I couldn't

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)