Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What do you think about the morning after pill?

Posted by   + Show Post

The Morning After Pill Is More Popular Than Ever: 5 Things Every Woman Needs to Know

Posted by Emily Abbate on February 14, 2013 

Birth Control PillToday's eye-opening statistic: One in nine women have used the morning after pill. New data has been released that the use of emergency contraception is on the rise. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, 11 percent of sexually experienced women between 15 and 44 said they've used the morning after pill between 2006 and 2010. This is compared to 4 percent in 2002. Well, hello there, awareness. It's nice to see you've spread across America.

The most interesting part to me? Research shows more educated women are most likely to use it, and heck, I'm happy that's true. There's no excuse not to know what contraception options are on the market. Whether you have a college education or not, take this chance to educate yourself with these 5 need-to-know facts on emergency contraception:

1. The morning after pill can be purchased at any pharmacy: As long as you are above the age of 18, you can buy the pill with a photo ID at any local pharmacy. It will cost you anywhere from $10 to $70.

2. There can be side effects: I know many women who have experienced extreme nausea from taking the pill. Aside from nausea, throwing up, breast tenderness, dizziness, headaches, and irregular bleeding are other potential side effects.

3. You have five days: This was interesting to me, as I've always been told you have three. According to Planned Parenthood, the pill can reduce the risk of pregnancy for up to 120 hours after unprotected intercourse.

4. It works: The pill can reduce the risk of pregnancy by 89 percent when you take it within the first 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. As time goes on, the hormone becomes less effective.

5. The morning after pill doesn't protect you from STDs: Yes, the pill can prevent unwanted pregnancy, but once you've come into contact with an infected partner -- that's it. The only way to 100 percent protect yourself from STDs is to use condoms.

What do you think about the morning after pill? Do any of these facts surprise you?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Replies (21-23):
PartyGalAnne
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I think too many girls rely on it as birth control.

pj2becca21
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I don't like it. I would never use it. but what I see happaning is that many young women are using it for birth control, the same way many are using Abortions for the same reason. I cant use  birth control (of any kind) because of health reasons, I found that out a 3 years ago what I was on merina ( didn't get it out till last year) and since then my hubby and I use the pull-out method and NFP. But Birth control Is cheap, condoms cost $7.59 and walmart for a 36 pack. Spermaside is $3 at walmart !!!

sallymoon
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Um, Emily Abbate needs to do some better fact checking.  Condoms do NOT offer 100 percent protection from STDs.  She should have learned that in middle school grade class, or by reading the side of a box of condoms.  

Back to the morning after pill... it is not a form of contraceptive that I would ever use.  I am not comfortable using any form of birth control that can prevent implantation of a fertilized egg rather than strictly preventing fertilization, which severely limits my options.

Child Passenger Safety Technician

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)