Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Does anyone see the double standard?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM
  • 304 Replies
5 moms liked this

http://www.examiner.com/article/teen-sues-parents-16-year-old-doesn-t-want-an-abortion

This 16 year old doesn't want an abortion. Her parents want her to have one. If you read the article it is a little disturbing how far the parents are willing to go. I think children should always be allowed to live no matter what. It's not our right to chose who lives and who doesn't. 

I see the double standard here because when a 16 year old wants an abortion without her parents knowing there are a million people willing to help her do it, but when this 16 year old does not want an abortion she has to go to the court and they are saying we will see if she wins. We will see?? What happened to "It's her body, it's her choice" If you stand by that, why does it only work one way?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I see it, maybe the parents know that they will be the ones having to raise the baby.  IDK but there's always adoption.  I for one don't believe in abortion but if someone else does, that's their business

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
When a minor who clearly can't make good decisions wants to control the life of everyone around her, then she needs a reality check. She can't legally raise the child by herself and it isn't her parents responsibility to raise a child they didn't create.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemoments99
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM
3 moms liked this

And a reality check to you is kill her baby and have her be sad and depressed about it for the rest of her life? Nice. 

Quoting marchantmom06:

When a minor who clearly can't make good decisions wants to control the life of everyone around her, then she needs a reality check. She can't legally raise the child by herself and it isn't her parents responsibility to raise a child they didn't create.

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM
4 moms liked this

Let me start my response by saying I am pro choice for reasons other than birth control. That being said, I agree with you 100%. Pro choice means just that. She has a choice, no matter how old she is. Her parents are SO wrong for that. That is her baby! So much for her support system. :(

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM
3 moms liked this
It's not a baby, its a fetus, huge difference, and maybe it will serve a lesson to keep her legs closed and take better care of herself. Children cannot raise children.

Quoting littlemoments99:

And a reality check to you is kill her baby and have her be sad and depressed about it for the rest of her life? Nice. 

Quoting marchantmom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemoments99
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM
8 moms liked this

If it is allowed to grow and develop it will always be born a baby. Therefore, it's a baby. 

It doesn't matter what you want to call her baby anyway. It's her baby. She calls it a baby so you have no right to say it's not. You are the perfect example of the double standard. Thank you for proving my point.

Quoting marchantmom06:

It's not a baby, its a fetus, huge difference, and maybe it will serve a lesson to keep her legs closed and take better care of herself. Children cannot raise children.

Quoting littlemoments99:

Quoting marchantmom06:

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
6 moms liked this

A16 year old girl who is pregnant doesn't necessarily need her parents to help her. I know 25 year olds that can't raise a child. Obviously, if this young lady can feel so strongly about the issue and is willing to stand up to her parents to the point of suing them, she has the strength and courage to do whatever it takes to take good care of her baby. Plain and simple. I say Bravo!

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM
I don't think it's ever appropriate to force abortion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catrig
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Even teens should be able to exercise their right to choose.

headingsouth13
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:32 PM
2 moms liked this

i see the double standard. and to the pp whom said she can not legally raise a child on her own at 16 she can get a job and attend class to finish high school online if it is offered or attend traditional school and then go to work therefore providing for her and her child so yes she can raise the child on her own

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN