Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Who has synesthesia? I do! you may not even know you have it until someone mentions it!

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: how many of you know you have synesthesia?

Options:

yes

no

maybe?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

synesthesia is something some of us are lucky to have. I, for one, have it. its when your senses get switched at birth some see, feel, hear, taste different things that wouldnt normally have that sense to people who dont have synesthesia.

some of these include:

-"seeing" music

-"tasting" a color

-associating a specific color to letters of the alphabet, days of the week, months,numbers and other things

-a gender to letters and numbers

-"seeing" things such as a calendar year or a week in a spacial sequence

There are many many types of different so called "symptoms" of synesthesia. this is something i am very interested in and I am currently doing ym own research on it.

I actually have synesthesia. my things are : I have a specific color to every day of the week, my calendar year and my weeks are in the shape of an oval floating in space. and I can see it when i think of he months or the week. sometimes I can see music and taste colors. i have spacial sequence and color grapheme synesthesia. maybe even the music one and i cant think of what that one is called. 

does this sound familiar to you? I would love to know who else out there has this wonderful colorful condition!

feel free to ask questions! Thanks! - Covert Momma

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reina13
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Oh this is very interesting! I have heard of people being able to 'taste' or 'feel' a color before.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Every Tuesday with Us!

amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

That's so interesting.  I was watching something (a commercial maybe) and a woman mentioned being able to hear from her eyes!

Covertmomma
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

hear from her eyes... now that is one i havent heard yet! how cool! 

parentalrights1
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM
I don't understand.

What does purple taste like?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NewMamaBoo
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:16 AM

No

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Wouldn't that be called delusional?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:17 AM

After reading the description, I definitely have a symptom of it.   Ever since I was a kid, I've assigned genders to the letters of the alphabet.

Female:  A, B, E, K, L, P, R, S

Male:  C, D, F, G, H, I, J, M, N, O, Q, T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z

I haven't really thought about this in a really long time, but I always thought of it as my brain allowing a bit of creativity.  I've never been artistic or done other things typically thought of as 'creative,' so I just viewed this as my creative outlet.

Covertmomma
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM

a fuzzy grape.... it varys by person and how they percieve the color

Covertmomma
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM

@Taniamorse85.... YES! exactly! My boss has that type of synesthesia. it is typically passed down from parent to child. not skipping generations. i had no idea i had anything special until i saw it on a Dr. Phil show in 2009. and i was like "I HAVE THAT!!" and my mom was like " no u dont!" and i said "yes i do!" and i named off colors i had for every day of the week and how i see them in a shape in my mind. craziness. lol

mommyofmonkey16
by on May. 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM

My dd does

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)