Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Freedom of Choice is Important

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 61 Replies

Former Scientologist Jenna Miscavige Hill joined HuffPost Live Thursday to share her personal story of growing up in the church and to explain how she escaped from it.

Hill, the niece of church leader David Miscavige and author of Beyond Belief, told HuffPost Live host Ahmed Shihab-Eldin about the oppressive practices of the church, which include forced abortion and abuse.

"If you do become pregnant when you're there, you get kicked out," she said. "Or many of my friends were actually coerced into having abortions."

Hill also described tales of forced labor and abusive teachers, and said she knew she had to leave the church after being exposed to the outside world on a mission trip abroad.

"When we went back to LA after that mission, it was like, everything was in plain view," she said. "Back to fifteen minute meals, you can't go to bed before 1:00 AM, you have to stay up all night even though you did yesterday...It put a lot of things in plain sight. There was no denying it. They started taking away your phones, your internet access...that was a big turning point for me."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/07/jenna-miscavige-hill-chur_n_2641244.html

Just another reason women's freedom of choice is so important. There are evil people in this world, even here in the US, that force women to have abortions.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parentalrights1
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Anti choicers wont see it that way. They don't understand that taking away choice opens up the doors for government to force anything (china comes to mind)

But in their idealistic minds, we will have a lovely america where the whores keep their slutty, filthy legs closed and babies are never aborted. And it would end there.

CountryLayne
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM

That's such a sad way to think. I am proud that women have the right to choose what they want to do with their bodies. Could you imagine what it would be like if we weren't allowed to choose? There could possibly be more cases like this story, which means more unborn babies would die.

Quoting parentalrights1:

Anti choicers wont see it that way. They don't understand that taking away choice opens up the doors for government to force anything (china comes to mind)

But in their idealistic minds, we will have a lovely america where the whores keep their slutty, filthy legs closed and babies are never aborted. And it would end there.

midjet117
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I like my freedom of choice. I do feel like religion,any religion kinda takes that away from you and kinda skews you're point of view. 

CountryLayne
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Can you elaborate?

Quoting midjet117:

I like my freedom of choice. I do feel like religion,any religion kinda takes that away from you and kinda skews you're point of view. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Scientologist? Isn't this what all the famous people are into? Tom Cruise, etc?

CountryLayne
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Yes; Tom Cruise, Kirstie Alley, Jenna Elfman, Priscilla Presley, John Travolta, etc are some of the celebrities that follow it.

Quoting EireLass:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:57 PM

So are we to believe that they are also held to the same demands that this woman speaks of?

Quoting CountryLayne:

Yes; Tom Cruise, Kirstie Alley, Jenna Elfman, Priscilla Presley, John Travolta, etc are some of the celebrities that follow it.

Quoting EireLass:

CountryLayne
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

From the few things I have read, I would have to guess that scientology is not on the up and up, just by things I have read in the news.

I do not believe that all practicing scientologists are following the writings of their founder. But then again, that is not uncommon. How many Christians follow everything written in the Bible? How many people, in normal daily life, fail to follow the rule of the law?

Honestly, I don't know enough about scientology to say one way or another what goes on behind closed doors. I have never attended their services, nor do I personally know anyone who believes in this. My point is- there are some truly evil people in this world. There are also some extremely religious people, ones who will believe and do whatever is written out for them. It isn't as far a stretch as some people believe that something like this could happen.

Quoting EireLass:

So are we to believe that they are also held to the same demands that this woman speaks of?

Quoting CountryLayne:

Quoting EireLass:

pj2becca21
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM

what about the people who are agnosit that are pro life?

Quoting midjet117:

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Good point. Too often people associate pro choice with agnostic liberals and pro life with religious conservatives. There are a lot of people in the middle that get lumped into those stereotypical labels.  

Quoting pj2becca21:

what about the people who are agnosit that are pro life?

Quoting midjet117:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)