Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

The 3D Printing Pen That Draws in the Air Might Be Your Childhood Dream Come True

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM
  • 7 Replies

Technology

The 3D Printing Pen That Draws in the Air Might Be Your Childhood Dream Come True

How often when you were younger and busy making crayon creations did you wish what you drew would come to life? Thanks to 3D-printing technology such an idea is now a bit closer to reality — at least when it comes to taking what was once only possible in 2D and giving it 3D potential.

The 3Doodler pen by Wobble Works draws objects in thin air or on surfaces.

Wobble Works 3Doodler 3D Printing Pen Draws Plastic Objects

(Image: Kickstarter video screenshot)

“As 3Doodler draws, it extrudes heated plastic, which quickly cools and solidifies into a strong stable structure,” the company stated on its Kickstarter site. “Most people will instantly be able to trace objects on paper, and after only a few hours of practice you will be able to make far more intricate objects.”

This 3Doodler design was listed as a more advanced structure. (Image: Facebook)

The 3Doodler doesn’t use software or computers but it does need to be plugged in to a power source. As of right now the 3Doodler only comes in one pen tip size, but Wobble Works plans to release more sizes at a later date.

(Photo: 3Doodler)

Watch this video to see how the 3Doodler works:

Another attractive feature of the 3Doodler, as Wobble Works pointed out, is that it costs much less than current 3D printers on the market. It is unclear how much the 3Doodler would cost to a commercial audience, but those backing the Kickstarter project received one of the pens and a bag of the plastic used to draw for a $50 donation. Full 3D printers on the other hand can cost thousands of dollars.

(Photo: 3Doodler Kickstarter)

Many people are on board with the idea. Initially the project hoped to earn $30,000 from the crowd-funding website to get 3Doodler going. Now, even with 33 days left, it has more than $150,000 pledged for the product that will begin shipping September 2013.

If you don’t think you’re much of an artist, the 3Doodler team is putting together free, downloadable stencils that can be traced. It is also collaborating with Etsy artists who are showcasing the way the pen can be used. Some of the artists will be selling their first 3Doodler designs while others are offering a template to help users make the art themselves.

The company’s website pointed out that such a tool could be used to make repairs for plastic parts as well.

The 3Doodler website specifies that as cool as the pen might be, it’s not a child’s toy.

“While the plastic extruded from 3Doodler is safe to touch once it has left the pen, the pen itself has a metal tip that can get as hot as 270C,” the website stated.

Learn more about the 3Doodler on its Kickstarter site here or its official website here.

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Ednarooni160
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM

This would be a cake/cupcake/cookie decorators.."dream"...

CountryLayne
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Eh- not necessarily. Professionals like myself have tools that work a lot more efficiently. Plus, this doesn't use edible product. I know some people will use non-edible items on their creations, but I myself prefer to use something that people can eat. That is why I am so against disco dust.

But, it is kind of neat, and I bet kids would love it.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

aneela
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

wow thats very interesting...i saw a machine on TV that also "prints" out objects..like HUGE things...even a car or airplane parts or something...it's amazing what technology can do

Ednarooni160
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Quoting CountryLayne:

Eh- not necessarily. Professionals like myself have tools that work a lot more efficiently. Plus, this doesn't use edible product. I know some people will use non-edible items on their creations, but I myself prefer to use something that people can eat. That is why I am so against disco dust.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Can't you imagine though designing a 3D cake for your clients..I bet they would be impressed.. : ) 

CountryLayne
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Are you meaning the design (or sketch) itself, in 3-D, or the cake? The sketch... perhaps. But the cake, there are better ways to go about making 3D details, most of which I am more comfortable using, since I know for sure it is edible. I am very much against using non-edible items on my cakes... the only time I ever use it is when it is requested by the customer. :)

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting CountryLayne:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Can't you imagine though designing a 3D cake for your clients..I bet they would be impressed.. : ) 

Ednarooni160
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Quoting CountryLayne:

Are you meaning the design (or sketch) itself, in 3-D, or the cake? The sketch... perhaps. But the cake, there are better ways to go about making 3D details, most of which I am more comfortable using, since I know for sure it is edible. I am very much against using non-edible items on my cakes... the only time I ever use it is when it is requested by the customer. :)

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting CountryLayne:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Just curious..do you use the glitters?  What's your opinion on them. 

Bucket or home made fondant..and if bucket what brand.  I dabble in cakes also..so value your opinion..as you are a cake business owner.   I'm not..but very curious as to how you like the brands of fondant..if you use them.  I found some very tasteless but many people on t.v. use them..and I found some quite nice but pretty pricey.

CountryLayne
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Normally I won't use glitter, unless specifically requested by the client. Although they are non-toxic, they are not meant for consumption. I also make sure that those who request it know that it is very finely ground plastic, and if they eat it, they do so at their own risk. Plus, it is horribly messy to use, so the less I have to mess with it, the better.

As for fondant, I have tried homemade, but I am not fond of the elasticity it has- too much bounce back for my taste. I have tried out different brands of fondant, and found one I love. It is called Fondx (or Fondarific- made by the same company). Satin Ice has a "play dough" smell to it, and dries too quickly for covering. But, it is good for decorations and especially good for my letter cut-outs (using Tappits). Wilton is the worst- I won't even use it for figurines. The Fondx smells awesome, it very soft and pliable, without a lot of bounce back when I roll it out. And it is the best tasting- sweet with a vanilla and slight butter flavor (I buy the buttercream flavor, not the vanilla). Its a little higher priced, but if you shop around you can find some fair prices. Global sugar art has the best "regular" price, when combined with the shipping. But very often they run sales on it. Oh, and you can also buy it pre-colored. I do that with red and black, because let's be honest, those are the two worst colors to make! LOL :)
Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting CountryLayne:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Quoting CountryLayne:

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Just curious..do you use the glitters?  What's your opinion on them. 

Bucket or home made fondant..and if bucket what brand.  I dabble in cakes also..so value your opinion..as you are a cake business owner.   I'm not..but very curious as to how you like the brands of fondant..if you use them.  I found some very tasteless but many people on t.v. use them..and I found some quite nice but pretty pricey.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)