Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would Facebook be the way to reach you in case of an emergency like this?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM
  • 8 Replies

Mom Finds Out Son Is Dead From the Cops ... on Facebook

Posted by Jeanne Sager on February 20, 2013 

facebookWarning: you're going to want to think this story is a fake, but it isn't. A mother from Georgia is waffling between heartbreak and anger today after police notified her that her 30-year-old son had been killed in a motor vehicle accident. Why is she mad? Because the police reached out to Anna Lamb-Creasey via Facebook to break the horrible news!

Can you imagine? You don't even get the courtesy of a "Ma'am, please sit down" when you get the worst news of your life? It's inappropriate ... to say the least. But it could happen to you too.

Lamb-Creasey and her daughter say they both got messages from an account named "Misty Hancock" that they allowed to sit in their Facebook "other" inboxes because they had no idea who Misty Hancock was. Meanwhile they were worried sick about Rickie Lamb, who had been missing since January 25. They'd been trying to track him down, even calling hospitals and jails.

It wasn't until Rickie's sister opened her "other" box on Facebook that she found the message, called the number, and, well you know the rest. He'd been hit by a car while crossing a road.

As awful as it all is, I can't help wondering if this is how it's going to be in the future. Cops in Clayton County, Georgia say they tried several of the conventional methods for tracking down Rickie Lamb's family, and they kept hitting dead ends. Facebook was their last resort.

Their methods were questionable -- a random account with a strange name is one I'd ignore too. But considering how tight a rein we hold on our privacy these days, it's easy enough to see this happening again and again and again.

Think about it: if someone wanted to find you, how hard would it be, really?

As much as one in four American homes have ditched the land line for a cellphone, the numbers of which are largely unlisted. Sick of spammers, we try to keep our emails private. And no one wants to list their home address on anything anymore, lest some crazy show up at their door.

I lost my address book recently, and it took me a full half hour of Googling to find an old friend's phone number ... and I am pretty GOOD at Googling.

It may be the responsibility of police to notify next of kin in these sort of cases, but a certain amount of the burden has to fall on the shoulders of said kin to make themselves reachable, doesn't it?

Do you think you'd be reachable in case of an emergency like this? Would Facebook be the way they'd find you?

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
plomboy
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM

No. I actually have a landline now. So that is how someone could get in touch. Plus my dh is a volunteer fireman. We are not hard to find.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM
What about through drivers license? Many other ways. My friend does not have a home phone. They tracked her down and the sheriff came when her dd was killed in a car accident. They came to the house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I'd be livid if authorities tried to contact me about a loved one's death on my FB page.  I don't have a landline, but I do have a home address.  As a PP stated, the police could have used DMV records to find an address and tell her in person.  IMO, this was sheer laziness on the police department's part.

akimana
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM

No

GOBryan
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM

No.. I read this story earlier. They tried conventional means to contact her and couldn't reach her so they facebooked her to have her call and gave the number. They did not break the news through facebook. 

There are several methods to contact me, however, FB is one of them and if that's the way they can reach me, I'd be grateful that they tried. 

livelaughlov26
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM
No that's insane Wtf were they thinking?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GOBryan
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Not everyone keeps DMV records current. It states that they tried conventional methods. The woman could have moved for all we know because it doesn't state much. Atleast they tried to contact her and they didn't give her the news over FB, they just tried to make contact after failing to reach her other ways. 

Many people keep their info private and googling doesn't work. I've found some old friends and family through google, fb and other methods AND there's some I can't find at all. It can be difficult but even when I'm searching, the one method I find is how I'm going to contact them. 

Quoting taniamorse85:

I'd be livid if authorities tried to contact me about a loved one's death on my FB page.  I don't have a landline, but I do have a home address.  As a PP stated, the police could have used DMV records to find an address and tell her in person.  IMO, this was sheer laziness on the police department's part.

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I live in Ga and I can assure you Clayton Co is a very screwed up county. This doesn't surprise me in the least. As for me, I have a drivers license with a valid address. I'm a registered voter. I have a car with a legal tag with the correct address. I own property so I have to pay taxes on it.  The police could easily find me. If I chose to live off the grid and the police could only contact me thru fb, then so be it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN