Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Please don't bash but I actually regret ebf'ing my baby...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

With my first two, I intended to bf for the first whole year, but only made it to 6 months with ds and 9 months with odd, and that's WITH supplementing with formula from early on. I always worried about the dreaded and much talked about, "nipple confusion", but never once had a problem with that with them. They took to both breast and bottle equally well.

With this baby, I was determined to ebf for a full year, and I AM proud to say that I've almost made it!! She's almost  11 months now and still doesn't know how  to work a bottle. It was a pain sometimes, because it would be lovely when we're trying to dine at a restaraunt to just give her a bottle and enjoy my meal in peace. I have hardly been able to enjoy ONE meal in peace since she was born. Me trying to eat makes her want to eat. I can manage to eat with a little less trouble now that she can sit in her high chair and eat finger foods, but still...

I'm really worried about how I'm going to wean her. Whenever I try to teach her how to use a bottle or sippy she can't figure it out. I'm worried I'm not going to be ABLE to wean her when I want to. Plus, she goes to bed at the breast and we bed share, so I'm also not sure how I'll be able to transition her to a crib. I'm EXHAUSTED! Things would have been so much easier if I'd supplemented with a bottle from the beginning. I am glad that she got the best health benefits, and excited that I've actually almost accomplished my ebf for one year goal, but now I'm just worried I've trapped myself.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Keep trying. I would use a sippy and not a bottle. Have someone other than you give the cup.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Thanks. I'll try that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:51 AM

BUMP!

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:27 AM

You're not alone I 100% agree with you.

cherylam
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

she will catch on to the cup, it's hard work for both of you, and won't happen right way.    be patient, and try to show her by putting the sippy part in her mouth.  It's like learnig to drink from a straw, she may not have the muscle control yet.  

headingsouth13
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM

best of luck mommy both my boys were bottle fed from the beginning(ds1 was 2 and ds2 was 3wks when i got them) my twins im expecting now i fear the same issue

Marimaru
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Skip the bottle and go right to the sippy.  Just give her one with water to have during most of the day and you'll find it empty eventually.  Likely the front of her shirt will be wet, but she'll eventually start drinking the water down, too.

I've always joked that my having hot food was a signal to my babies that it was time to eat.  I try to plan for it, sometimes that works, but not always, lol.  Doesn't even seem to matter that she just ate, I get a plate, she is hungry again by magic :).

For weaning, I'm not there with my current baby, but with my oldest, I picked a day, and started stretching things out.  First I set it to 2 hours.  She couldn't nurse unless it had been 2 hours, and I would distract her until then.  After a few days, it was 3 hours, etc.  It took a couple weeks until only night was left, and then there was a night that she slept through the night and I called it then and we were done.  It went really smoothly for us.

1CrazyCajun
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Maybe try hold her like you would BFing, then prop the bottle on your boobs. I did that with my son when I had to switch to formula. It still gave me and baby the cuddle time. :)

Mainstream Moms Attached Parenting not quite your style. Are you more laid back?Come join other like minded moms.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Your baby is a baby for a very short time in the scheme of things.  She will not be a baby for much longer.  Instead of viewing it like you are trapped, remind yourself that before long she will not only not be wanting to nurse, but will be sitting at the table with her sippy cup, and her own fork, and eating what everyone else does.  This time in her life is very short and very precious.  That does not mean it is easy, or that you don't get frustrated.  Changing how you view the situation will help your state of mind.  You might not get to get to eat a meal in peace at a restaurant for a little while longer, but if you will step back and think of the whole picture, what is really most important for her?  It really won't be long before this is just a past memory, and you want the memory to be one in which you can know you did right by her.  She is a luck baby to have a mama who is willing to EBF as you have.  Don't give up, girl.... you can do it.  She WILL wean, she WILL grow up.... you couldn't stop it even if you wanted to. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM

11 months is extended breastfeeding? Where? Extended breastfeeding refers to breastfeeding well past babyhood, as in toddlers and preschoolers. Just wait, it gets even more fun with toddlers - you get to be the walking jungle gym....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)