Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

2yo & 4yo found running down the road???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

One of my sisters told me that her nieces on her husband's side, ages 2 and 4, were found running down the side of the road in nothing but their underwear. The nice person who found them took them to the school just up the road. Someone there recognized them from when my other sister babysat them during the day for a while when their mom was working and she called the mom to tell her. The mom had NO idea they were gone! It's estimated from where they were found on the road that they'd been gone at LEAST 25-30min, but she didn't know they weren't in the house? How do you not know where your 2yo and 4yo are for 25-30min or more?? When they asked the 4yo why, she said, "We wanted chicken nuggets."

banging head into wall

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Beenhereforever
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Grrr!! That irritates me!

Yesterday I found out on my husband s side if the family, my Sil was gone while her kids ages 9-13 watched 4 little girls that are 6. ( both are twin sets long story) anyways, they decided to just go to the park down the road... They asked if they could go and the oldest kid told them have fun... I just don't get it..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I would have called the police. Why would I take them to a school? Momma may have just made a mistake like falling asleep or got focused on a phone call or something like that. (Honestly, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt. I don't see how she could.) Or she could have been stoned out of her mind for all we know. That's for child services to figure out. I wish the school or the person who picked up the kids would have called the police.

ambertreas76
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM

This is madness!  Just negligence.  I feel for those kids.

I had an acquaintance who decided to take a nap while her 3 year old was playing with his toys.  She passed out on the couch and her child was found in the middle of the road (they live on Main St in a small town).  The neighbor saw him and took him home.  I didn't talk to her much after that.  She thought it was a big joke and said how desperately she needed a nap.  She said that her child was fine so what's the big deal.  If I had been the neighbor, I would have called the police.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Reminds me of parents down here. I'll drive around town and see little kids walking down the road barefoot - and it's freezing cold! Or go to visit a friend, and their kids will be running around naked (at 9 yrs old..) or actually playing with bugs, or rolling around in dirt. Does this happen in any other town? Or is it just something in the water here???

hopealways4019
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 6:54 AM
Was she sleep? That's bad parenting, not keeping good supervision over kids. Thank goodness they weren't injured.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

She took them to the school because she's an older lady w/o a cell phone and that was the closest safe place she could go where someone could call the cops or find the parents or both. Personally, I don't think the mom deserves the benefit of a doubt based on other issues my sister has described with her that basically sets up a pattern of neglect. My sister and her husband are planning to contact child services themselves and have said they'd love to just take the three kids (there was a 1yo boy at home when the 2yo and 4yo ran off) home with them. My sister said she's sure the mom will spin it into being someone else's fault the way she always does - but previous things haven't been nearly as serious as her half-naked kids running freely down the side of the highway.

Quoting LuckyMom822:

I would have called the police. Why would I take them to a school? Momma may have just made a mistake like falling asleep or got focused on a phone call or something like that. (Honestly, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt. I don't see how she could.) Or she could have been stoned out of her mind for all we know. That's for child services to figure out. I wish the school or the person who picked up the kids would have called the police.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I've seen that where my sister and the mom of this story live. I think there are a lot of ignorant, neglectful parents in their area, but there's also a scary pattern of teenage or early 20s aged girls getting pregnant out of wedlock on purpose to force a guy into marriage. Then they realize, oh, crap, I have to actually DO STUFF for this baby? And they don't want to so they don't do more than the minimum.

Quoting Anonymous:

Reminds me of parents down here. I'll drive around town and see little kids walking down the road barefoot - and it's freezing cold! Or go to visit a friend, and their kids will be running around naked (at 9 yrs old..) or actually playing with bugs, or rolling around in dirt. Does this happen in any other town? Or is it just something in the water here???

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I once walked out to get my mail and found a toddler playing in my carport. Couldn't have been more then 2, NO idea where she came from. I called the cops and they took her, I have no idea what ended up happening and it still makes me sad to think of. I don't know why you'd bother to have kids.

rbailey2414
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Jeez. Poor kids!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Shit I must be a bad mom then. Just today I feel asleep when my dd aged three was playing in the room with me. I was asleep for 20 min. She was still playing in my room when I woke up. I suck. My ds five months was taking a nap
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)