Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

What do i do??

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM
  • 21 Replies
So my son is 13 months old. He has been walking since he was 9 months old and has been absorbing everything so quickly. If we go to the playground he wanders around with the older kids (about 18 months to 3 years old) and they accept him easily. But he is like pro imitator right now. Anyways, since he was abt 3 months old he has this annoyance with pee or poo in his diaper and would scream until it was fixed which is good. For about 2 months now, when he pood he'd run to his room and grab a handful of diapers and his wipes and bring them to either my husband or I and we'd go change him.

The problem is, the last two days (regardless of nap time or getting him out of bed in the morning) I've been finding him in his crib with his onesie zipper pulled down and his diaper off.... Which is impressive on his part but very nervewracking for me because I am nervous to find poo or pee everywhere one of these days.... I haven't yet... But I don't know what to do to stop him from doing this. I've tried onesies with snaps and with zippers, the snaps were the first ones he'd just pull them apart... But the zipper ones he couldn't figure out until 2 days ago... Does anyone know what I should do?? He's only 13 months old...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlemoments99
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my gosh!   :)

I watch 2 year old twins and they do the exact same thing. They haven't quite figured out the snaps yet, and with the zipper they can't get it zippered all the way down. That doesn't stop them though. They just take the pj's off inside out so their mom just sticks to the snaps. She is hoping they will never figure it out until they stop taking everything off. 

Your son is determined to not have clothes on when he sleeps!  :)
I am not sure what else you can try. hmmmm....I know he's so little so a pull up might not fit yet. I was thinking maybe he wouldn't be able to figure out a pull up so easily because with a diaper you just pull the straps off. 

Here is a website I found. They have a few ideas. Good luck!!

http://voices.yahoo.com/five-ways-keep-toddler-tearing-off-their-128207.html 

Zazayam
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM

My mom told me I used to do this, and she would tape my diapers onto me when she put me down to sleep. lol, I don't know...

grannie_kel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:14 AM
2 moms liked this

He is ready for potty training, do that now. 

mollymae09
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Invest in a waterproof crib pad and remove all extra soft stuff (bumper, stuffed animals....)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:27 AM

We put ours in feet pajamas and then diaper pin the zipper in the up position.

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I agree. He is ready.

Quoting grannie_kel:

Toxic_Fool
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM

My friend who has a 4 year old girl told me it sounds like he is ready for potty training too, but I find it weird because he's so young. He's really big for his age (height wise - 95th percentile) so maybe it could work out? I don't even know how to begin with potty training a child who doesn't speak when he has to pee or poo though. It's only after the matter that he gets you the supplies to change him.

Quoting LuckyMom822:

I agree. He is ready.

Quoting grannie_kel:

Toxic_Fool
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Ooooh yeah, I totally forgot about pullups. I wonder if that would work?? Personally, I think he does this because he sees us changing him and knows how to pull the straps off the diaper. In fact its a struggle getting him to stay in his diaper in order to strap it down; he'll sit there and wiggle around and flip over and stuff. 

I think I will try the pullups idea, but I'll check out the website as well. Thanks! :)

Quoting littlemoments99:

Oh my gosh!   :)

I watch 2 year old twins and they do the exact same thing. They haven't quite figured out the snaps yet, and with the zipper they can't get it zippered all the way down. That doesn't stop them though. They just take the pj's off inside out so their mom just sticks to the snaps. She is hoping they will never figure it out until they stop taking everything off. 

Your son is determined to not have clothes on when he sleeps!  :)
I am not sure what else you can try. hmmmm....I know he's so little so a pull up might not fit yet. I was thinking maybe he wouldn't be able to figure out a pull up so easily because with a diaper you just pull the straps off. 

Here is a website I found. They have a few ideas. Good luck!!

http://voices.yahoo.com/five-ways-keep-toddler-tearing-off-their-128207.html 

grannie_kel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Even if you do try pullups, take him and put him on the toilet often during the day and praise him well if he goes in the toilet.  He will catch on and it won't matter if he can speak to tell you, he will start going there automatically.  Just changing to pullups won't stop him from going and then pulling it off, they are easier for kids to get out of than a diaper. 

Quoting Toxic_Fool:

Ooooh yeah, I totally forgot about pullups. I wonder if that would work?? Personally, I think he does this because he sees us changing him and knows how to pull the straps off the diaper. In fact its a struggle getting him to stay in his diaper in order to strap it down; he'll sit there and wiggle around and flip over and stuff. 

I think I will try the pullups idea, but I'll check out the website as well. Thanks! :)

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I had a friend who potty trained her daughter at 12 mo because she was ready. Her dd hated diapers with a passion. I'm not exctly sure how she did it but you will figure it out. Words arent always needed. He will probably come up with a sign  to show you what he wants just like he does now. When I potty trained dd my pediatrician told me that the fastest way is to let her run around without a diaper at home. When she pees, it will freak her out. At that time run her to the potty. After a couple of times, she will associate the feeling of needing to pee and the uncomfortable wetness caused by ignoring it. It worked like a charm! Yes I had to clean up a little mess each time but I have to do that with a puppy so what's the difference? Boys may be different. I would ask in another post and see what other moms have done with their boys. Good luck!!!

Quoting Toxic_Fool:

My friend who has a 4 year old girl told me it sounds like he is ready for potty training too, but I find it weird because he's so young. He's really big for his age (height wise - 95th percentile) so maybe it could work out? I don't even know how to begin with potty training a child who doesn't speak when he has to pee or poo though. It's only after the matter that he gets you the supplies to change him.

Quoting LuckyMom822:

I agree. He is ready.

Quoting grannie_kel:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN