Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Joint or separate accounts?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 32 Replies
Right now my husband and I share an account and we also have our own seperate accounts. This works for us especially since he is a saver and I'm a spender (also a saver too though). He pays the house bills and I pay baby bills, grocery shopping, nights out, cell phone bills, etc. Any big purchases we go halves on. My mom insists we should be using one joint account for everything because we are a team and need to act like one...but the way we are doing it works for us. What do you think?
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamie_85
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

we have joint accounts only, but it just works for us. it doesn't matter how couples do it, as long as bills are paid.

chcon
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:07 PM
We have a joint account, and hubby has his account. But I'm in charge of both, honestly. This is more so he has his debit card that does not affect the joint account. I transfer all but his allotted amount into the joint account to pay bills. It's kind of a symbolic gesture at this point since we use a credit card that accrues miles for most stuff (and pay it off).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Separate, separate, separate! I will never have a joint account again.

M213
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Quoting Mamie_85:

we have joint accounts only, but it just works for us. it doesn't matter how couples do it, as long as bills are paid.

I agree...all of our accounts actually have both of our names on it, we just only use one jointly if big purchases need to be made and if not then it just gets used for saving.
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM

We only have joint accounts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Joint accounts. Married over 25 years.
2kids19yrsapart
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Joint accounts, checking and savings.

CookieMom108
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM

The checking and savings accounts are in my name, but we don't consider them to only be *mine*.  I pay all of the bills out of my checking account, and the money my husband brings home every week is what we use to live on day to day.  That's just how it is and always has been, I never thought twice about it being separate or joint.

Marimaru
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you need to tell your mom to stay out of your finances.

My husband and I did what you're doing for long time, before we just went to our joint account.  But I don't think there's anything wrong with what you are doing if it keeps things happy between you guys as far as money is concerned.

marie2409
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Separate. I pay my bills out of mine. He pays his bills out of his. Household bills and groceries split down the middle. Kids expenses- I pay for what my kids need, he pays for his (he has full custody, they live with us)

Of course we work together and help each other out when needed, but that is basically how we do. It works for us, though I see A LOT of women on here who see his and her money as "our" money.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN