Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Slavery math?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:25 AM
  • 11 Replies
Read this and tell me what YOU think:

http://fox8.com/2013/02/23/slavery-math-in-elementary-school-sparks-outcry/

Questions like "if the slaves were beat 100 times a day for 657 hours, how many beatings did the slaves take per day?" Is this appropriate? I don't really believe it is.. Do you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:25 AM
I don't know how to make it clicky so no one will probably click on it. :(
LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Maybe try quotation marks around the link? Sometimes that will work. I think the question is very inappropriate! 

mamalusbear
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband saw it on reddit yesterday....we both found it quite offensive and inappropriate.  What happened to using apples and oranges to learn math?

GertieK
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Highlight the link, copy, then right click, and then choose "insert link".  When the box pops, up copy and paste the link into the place provided, and then click on "insert"... and it will become clickable. 

While this is very offensive, it does not surprise me.  Text books for schools are literally being re-written.  History is being eliminated or changed.  Political correctness has taken over.  This may seem "politicall incorrect" - but it isactually  a method of demonizing America.  While slavery was a terrible thing, it IS part of our history.  It is also a part of the history of just about every other nation in existance.  So, while the question uses a terrible example, the fact that it is being done doesn't really surprise me at all.  It is one of the many reasons we home-schooled.

WandaSue
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

that is horrible...clicky for you

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Read this and tell me what YOU think:

Questions like "if the slaves were beat 100 times a day for 657 hours, how many beatings did the slaves take per day?" Is this appropriate? I don't really believe it is.. Do you?

MrsP523
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Inappropriate as heck.
Deanna155
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Wow, that is awful!

xxshelbyxxx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I can't figure out the clicky thing still.. Will it still work if I'm on mobile

Quoting GertieK:

Highlight the link, copy, then right click, and then choose "insert link".  When the box pops, up copy and paste the link into the place provided, and then click on "insert"... and it will become clickable. 

While this is very offensive, it does not surprise me.  Text books for schools are literally being re-written.  History is being eliminated or changed.  Political correctness has taken over.  This may seem "politicall incorrect" - but it isactually  a method of demonizing America.  While slavery was a terrible thing, it IS part of our history.  It is also a part of the history of just about every other nation in existance.  So, while the question uses a terrible example, the fact that it is being done doesn't really surprise me at all.  It is one of the many reasons we home-schooled.

NewMom11222011
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM

There are so many other scenarios that could be used for word problems that it baffles me that anyone would use this type of wording in math.

Mama2Spencerninja

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Wow!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)