Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you be shocked to find out you're eating horse meat?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

Horse Meat Found in Ikea’s Meatballs -- Are They Served at a Store Near You?

Posted by Adriana Velez on February 25, 2013

ikea meatballsI admit, I've been voyeuristically gawking at these stories about mystery horse meat popping up all over the UK and thinking to myself, "Oh well, at least it's not happening here." But all along I had this sinking feeling that the stuff would come galloping upon our shores. Has it finally happened? Because apparently now some of Ikea's Swedish meatballs contain horse meat. Oh flervenghäst!

Yes, Ikea's latest exciting product no one asked for is horse meat. Czech veterinarians have found horse meat in Swedish meatballs labeled as containing pork and beef -- and bound for stores in Belgium, Britain, the Netherlands, and a few other European countries. Could the U.S. be next? Are Swedish horse meatballs the new Malm table?

I can just see it on the menu: Dala Köttbullar! So tasty with that lingonberry sauce. I mean, if they send over their Ă…fjärden towels and Rektangel flower vases, why not their Ă–ops meatballs, too? Supposedly, none of the dala balls were headed for the U.S. But that's just what they know so far. I mean, the whole horse meat story has been one unpleasant surprise after another, and I still think we're bound to get our serving eventually.

For the record, I'm not against eating horse meat per se. I'm just against eating food that isn't properly labeled. (I don't Lack it, not one bit! Heh heh.) No one likes surprises in their food. And with an ingredient that controversial, you'd better get the labeling right.

I kind of wonder what would happen if, instead of recalling the horse meatballs, Ikea really did just put them honestly labeled on the menu. Maybe they wouldn't have to throw out all that meat after all. And really, ground up with other meat and topped with sauce, they probably don't taste all that different. Last time I checked, Ikea meatballs pretty much taste like ground-up Nordli beds anyway, so what's the freakin' difference? 

Do you believe America is safe from Ikea's horse meatballs?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Yes, not here. I believe I ate it before in France though, ugh.

GertieK
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:23 PM
3 moms liked this

Butchering/selling/consuming horsemeat legally was one of the first things obama/congress did.  Not ragging on him (even though I can't stand him) - but it is just the truth.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I think if you eat outside of your own home, you're at the discretion of the cook. I only buy meat from local farms so I know what I'm eating. I would not be opposed to eating horse though...if that's what I was told it was.

Deanna155
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Eeeewww...

surprised

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Anything is possible. What exactly is in Chinese food? Hmmmm....

my4kids274
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

When I was stationed overseas in England they actually closed down the local Chinese take out due to them using cat and dog meat in their food.  I never ate Chinese take out again.   This was 22 years ago though. 

Quoting LuckyMom822:

Anything is possible. What exactly is in Chinese food? Hmmmm....

----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/my4kids274
junebaby11
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:27 PM
It's not just ikea a big thing is happening in UK it's a big corruption, horse meat was sold in supermarket made meals as 100% beef, lidls, Aldis, tescos, farm foods, Iceland are a few to name.....other scandals are going on too like pork instead of beef in products, they are leading a massive investigation into it because some of the horses may have contained a harmful drug that could hurt humans, horse meat is legal in UK but it is safe, alot of race horses are sold that is what they are worried the meatis coming from, American race horses with steroids etc
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I thought Ikea made furniture.

ICK

Poor horses. :-(

norwgnwood
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:12 PM
I wouldn't really care. Meat is meat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lazyd
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is disgusting.  Horses are my favorite animal!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)