Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you be shocked to find out you're eating horse meat?

Posted by   + Show Post

Horse Meat Found in Ikea’s Meatballs -- Are They Served at a Store Near You?

Posted by Adriana Velez on February 25, 2013

ikea meatballsI admit, I've been voyeuristically gawking at these stories about mystery horse meat popping up all over the UK and thinking to myself, "Oh well, at least it's not happening here." But all along I had this sinking feeling that the stuff would come galloping upon our shores. Has it finally happened? Because apparently now some of Ikea's Swedish meatballs contain horse meat. Oh flervenghäst!

Yes, Ikea's latest exciting product no one asked for is horse meat. Czech veterinarians have found horse meat in Swedish meatballs labeled as containing pork and beef -- and bound for stores in Belgium, Britain, the Netherlands, and a few other European countries. Could the U.S. be next? Are Swedish horse meatballs the new Malm table?

I can just see it on the menu: Dala Köttbullar! So tasty with that lingonberry sauce. I mean, if they send over their Ă…fjärden towels and Rektangel flower vases, why not their Ă–ops meatballs, too? Supposedly, none of the dala balls were headed for the U.S. But that's just what they know so far. I mean, the whole horse meat story has been one unpleasant surprise after another, and I still think we're bound to get our serving eventually.

For the record, I'm not against eating horse meat per se. I'm just against eating food that isn't properly labeled. (I don't Lack it, not one bit! Heh heh.) No one likes surprises in their food. And with an ingredient that controversial, you'd better get the labeling right.

I kind of wonder what would happen if, instead of recalling the horse meatballs, Ikea really did just put them honestly labeled on the menu. Maybe they wouldn't have to throw out all that meat after all. And really, ground up with other meat and topped with sauce, they probably don't taste all that different. Last time I checked, Ikea meatballs pretty much taste like ground-up Nordli beds anyway, so what's the freakin' difference? 

Do you believe America is safe from Ikea's horse meatballs?

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Replies (21-29):
xxMommaof_2
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

If you are NOT against eating horse meat then you obviously do not know how inhumanely they are being auctioned off, sold, or stolen and slaughtered!!! Go to youtube and check out all the undercover videos taken at the slaughter houses. Plus, many horses are slaughtered while pregnant, babies and very young! Lots of them contain Bute, a pain killer for horses that is a carcinogen for humans... Ugh I could go on and on.

Interested in an all natural, botanical skin care, cosmetic and nutrition line. We also carry all natural, botanical baby care with proven results! We have weight loss products, proven stretch mark cream, detox cleanse, and much more, all natural and green! 

Come visit me at http://chakra.myarbonne.com

elisa0827
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I wouldn't mind eating horse meat. I just wish whoever is selling it would actually let customers know what their eating. I think ppl wouldn't want to eat horse meat because its an animal most humans like. I don't mind I've eaten cow tongue, guts, heart pig ears, brain sounds distgusting but its good thats mexican cuisine
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Isn't it illegal to serve any percentage of horse meat in the US?

I heard that on the internet and if on the internet it has to be true. LOL!

FoodIsLife
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM

they say it was "traces" so It's possible that the meatballs were processed in a plant where they also processes horse meat and there was some cross contamination.

I am not against horse meat, I just don't appriciate mislabeling. 

TinaNicu
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

if they labeled hot dogs, no one would eat it. lol

cherylam
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I'd be shocked, considering we very rarely eat meat anymore.  The thought of how animals are treated in the giant commercial farms did it for us.  We grow our own poultry, but they are rapidly becoming more like pets.

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM
I would be disgusted with myself. I can't stand Mexico and most of Europe for the simple fact that they eat horse and horse is one of my favorite animals. If I could I'd go into Mexico and Europe and take all those horses home with me and put them on my FIL's farm. In fact if I could get away with it I would go do it right now (and take care of these horse slaughter plants too while I was at it).
wanderingmuse
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM
I'm not necessarily against it but I'd want to know. Knowing, I sincerely doubt I would choose to purchase or consume it. Seeing as I buy our meat at the butcher or my hubby hunts it, I don't really think its much of an issue for us :-) I do like eating out though, so I guess it could happen.
wickedstepjenn
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM
I'd like to know what I'm being offered to eat. I don't think I personally would eat it I also could not knowingly eat a dog because I love dogs. I don't cook piggys (knowingly) either. That's just my personal preference I don't judge or atleast I try not to. Its hard for me because I'm a big animal lover. (Yes I'm a veggie killer). But I live with meat eaters so we only buy local farm meat that I know they butcher as humaine as killing goes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)