Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This Selfless Moment Will Bring You to Tears — See What Happens When Mentally Challenged Player Is Put in the Game

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 12 Replies
2 moms liked this

This Selfless Moment Will Bring You to Tears — See What Happens When Mentally Challenged Player Is Put in the Game

Just in case you missed this story on TheBlaze blog Tuesday.

Mitchell Marcus is a student and the men’s basketball team manager at Coronado High School in El Paso, Texas. According to Marcus’ mother he’s had a love of the game since a young age, but because he has a mental disability he doesn’t officially play for the team.

Player From Opposite Team Passes Opponent With Mental Disability Ball So He Can Score Shot

Mitchell Marcus cheers for his team on the bench as the team manager. (Image: CBS screenshot)

That was until last week when Coach Peter Morales told Marcus to put on his Thunderbirds uniform for the last game of regular season play.

CBS On the Road was there to capture Marcus’ game. CBS reported Morales saying ”for his moment in time, yes,” he was willing to lose the game when he put Marcus in with a minute-and-a-half left and only a 10 point lead.

Player From Opposite Team Passes Opponent With Mental Disability Ball So He Can Score Shot

Marcus in the game. (Image: CBS screenshot)

There’s more than just putting Marcus in the game that caused his mother to say “I think I’ll cry about it for the rest of my life,” but we won’t spoil it for you (Note: spoiler after the video):

CANNOT COPY this for some reason..go here to see it..just "wonderful"..

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/27/this-selfless-moment-will-bring-you-to-tears-see-what-happens-when-mentally-challenged-player-is-put-in-the-game/

Marcus was unable to make the shots when he was passed the ball several times by his teammates.

“I was just hoping that he was happy to be put in the game,” Morales said.

But what happened next, Morales told CBS, he could not have dreamed it up.

In a shocking move that wasn’t asked of him, a member of the opposite team called Marcus’ name and passed him the ball so he could score — and this time he did.

Here’s the turnover. (Image: CBS screenshot)

Marcus now had two points on the board to his name.

(Image: CBS screenshot)

Franklin High School senior Jonathon Montanez, the opposing player who passed Marcus the ball, told CBS he was “raised to treat others how you want to be treated.”

“I just thought Mitchell deserved his chance, deserved his opportunity,” Montanez continued.

And as CBS’ On the Road rightly put it, it is quite possibly one of the most memorable turnovers of all time.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM

someone already posted this...but it is a good story

VeronicaTex
We are now into Holy Week...The Triduum will be Holy Thursday (The Last Supper), Good Friday (Jesus' Crucifixion) and Easter Sunday (Jesus' Resurrection" ) Our Lord died for us!!!!
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for posting this, my dear friend.

This is the first time I am seeing this.

Bless you for posting and may others see this and rejoice also!!!!!!

Veronica-Mother of a Special Needs Child 

Ednarooni160
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

someone already posted this...but it is a good story

Woops..my apologies..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM

It's sweet but it didnt bring me to tears

c0wg1rl
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:15 PM
3 moms liked this
Well I cried. There are few examples of true compassion these days. It's always heart warming to see our youth make the right choice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AnnRmommaof3
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

How amazing, shows how many truly awesome and amazing people there are in the world. I literally cried when I read this. :)

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Actions like this renew my faith in humankind.fingers crossed

mom2ljh
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I love this. What a great kid and coach.
muchlovedby4
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
It did bring tears to my eyes. My oldest DS was watching with me and asked why both teams won. I told him cuz a sweet kid did a great thing. He said i'm gonna do great things momma...... I hope he does. He's got a good heart and i hope he's that selfless.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I saw this video online and it made me cry. This is a moment that boy will never ever forget.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)