Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Who puts the batteries in the Giraffe!!

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 6 Replies
2 moms liked this

I JUST SPENT AN HOUR...trying to change batteries in a baby gym for Aubrey. This was a baby gym we had for Adam and it's no longer sold by Fisher Price. I couldn't remember the name...Safari Gym?...not the Rainforest Gym...so I couldn't get the manual for it to see how to change the batteries.

I looked it over...and the only place I could see where the damn...err, darn...batteries could be, was in the top where the lights and music come from. There are twelve tiny screws that hold the top together...four that are almost inaccessible with ANY screwdriver let alone the one I could find...a slightly too large phillips head. I persevered and removed eleven tiny screws only to discover...the last one is stripped. I can not get it out...it is a lost cause.

I know from looking on the Fisher Price site that to replace it will be about $70...I am ticked and I tell Liddia I KNOW why they aren't making them anymore...they are IMPOSSIBLE to change the freaking batteries. So, in a fit of anger I toss it down and kick the giraffe on one of the "legs" (it's made like a dome tent without the tent part...two flexible pieces that cross over and connect to the mat that baby lays on, toys hang and music and lights revolve around the top). I should mention that I broke my little toe a couple of days ago and shouldn't be kicking ANYTHING...the giraffe was solid...

Yes, that's right, I killed my toe on the...wait for it...battery case. It was "secreted" in what LOOKED like a cushy, squishy, giraffe. No, in reality, it was a thin giraffe costume, covering a large battery case. So...YAAAAAY, I put all 11 screws back in and open the battery case. I tell Aubrey "Don't worry Aubrey, Nana has got it covered! You will be back playing in MOMENTS!!" I open the battery case and...they are C cells. C cells are the ONLY batteries I do not posses. Shit!...err...Darn!!

You will be happy to know...that Liddia has gone to the store and returned with C cells...I will now go and splint my toe...again.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Bradensmommy719
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM
We have one of those and I put the batteries in myself. Sorry you had to go through all that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM
3 moms liked this

Hahaha! Hilarious! Sounds like me trying to get a toy out of a box with all of the stupid plastic things that would continue to hold the toy in place during an F5 tornado.  

GaleJ
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

This is one of the major reasons I recommend blocks for children and why we always played music for our son's enjoyment on a CD player that plugged in...lol. I hope your toe is better soon and may I suggest you start a file for such inane but sometimes necessary information on your computer, it can really save you some hassles.

Zazayam
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:01 AM

LOL aren't toys fun!?

I asked hubby to change the batteries in our little bouncer chair the other day, came back in the room to him sitting there with an adorably confused look on his face holding tiny pieces of the motor that vibrates, the battery case was still closed and untouched.

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:12 PM

This is why I avoid battery-powered anything.  So freaking aggravating!

I hope your toe heals soon.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I didn't have that particular thing, but we did have one or two baby items that required 'C' cells, and were also difficult to replace the batteries in, and I felt the same way. Evil, just evil, LOL.

Now quit kicking stuff, let your toe heal. :p

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN