Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone been on Mirena?

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM
  • 12 Replies
I was thinking of getting the Mirena IUD on Monday but it seems like everyone I knew that had previously been on Mirena had trouble getting pregnant after having it removed. So I'm wondering how long it took you to get pregnant after having it removed?
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zazayam
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I had one, I got pregnant about 3 months after having it removed. I lost the baby (pretty sure it wasn't related to the IUD) and after we started trying again it took me a year to get pregnant again but I did have a happy and healthy baby 4 months ago :)
I have no complaints, I just got a new one.

M213
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:18 AM

BUMP!

Darianmommy
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Personally I hated the mirena due to me being allergic to it I always got infections uti's etc until I got it removed but from my understanding the people I know that had the mirena removed got pregnant quickly
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:32 AM
No. Thank god.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimpleComSense
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:33 PM

My daughter is in a class action suit against Mirena. Long horror story but it's been great for some but REALLY bad for others.  My daughter had it put in after her son was born four years ago.  Never got her period again...ever.  She developed Polycystic Ovarian Disease from it. The warnings tell you that it's possible to get ovarian cysts and that they SHOULD go away but...for her, they didn't.  It migrated into her uterus and had to be surgically removed.  It destroyed her hormones and she was told the only way to fix all of the side effects was to put her into early menapaus with drugs...she was 27yrs old.  In manipulating her hormones, she got pregnant.   She didn't know because she had never gotten her period which means that she continued taking birth control pills for the hormones while she was pregnant.  The baby is okay but was born prematurely with under developed lungs and was in the NICU.  She almost bled to death from the C-section, had pre-eclampsia and because of all of the "issues"...chose to have her tubes tied to prevent this from ever happening again...she is now 28.  She has two beautiful children and that's enough.  She still has no period, which may sound good but not when you have constant ovarian cysts.  She will eventlually have to have the oviaries removed or "killed" with hormones. 

I hope you are one of the lucky ones and have no troubles.  There is always a risk in everything and she was just a very unlucky one but...she is not alone.  Google Mirena and check how many "unlucky" ones there are and make an educated decision.  Again...EVERYTHING has risks.  I am not trying to scare you, I just want you to be aware that Mirena has had some serious issues that you need to be aware of before you chose...anything.  Be your own  best advocate in ANYTHING you choose.

luvstar
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:02 PM

i got pregnant 8 months after having the mierna. i personality didnt like the iud i felt like i wasnt myself with it and when i got it removed i had alot of hormone changes 

03amanda
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM

My friend had one and she got it removed and a month later she pregnant

Bellmont
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM

My gd said it is great. She had one put in almost 6 years ago. Had it change a year ago. (Right now she said no more kids) Anyway she just loves hers.   GOOD LUCK with whatever you choose.

shannonre
by New Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I got mine 3 years ago and i love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all. When i was in the shot i had a constant period the entire 5 months. With mirena i have very little spotting once every few months. I haven't had it removed yet so i don't know about getting pregnant.
Pita369
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I have it and love it. My periods have gotten lighter from what they were and way less of the backaches I got. The only thing issue I have is that sometimes I need more foreplay to get wet enough for sex but I can deal with that :) Everyone reacts different to it like any medication or IUD
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)