Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you allow your kids to go to.......

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 52 Replies

thier friends houses in which the parents smoke inside the home?

I do not. I stand strong by this and I will not let up. I do, however, feel a little bad for my daughter sometimes because practically all of her friends parents smoke in the house and/or car. They are all welcome over here but she only has maybe 2 friends homes that she is allowed to go to. I actually had to confront a parent who smoked in the car with my daughter in there. I didnt even know she smoked and had I known I would not have allowed her in the car because I would NEVER tell a grown person what they can or cannot do in their cars or homes. I simply just do not let my children around the activity. She was actually sorry nd the reason I had to confront her is because I needed to explain to her why my daughter would not be allowed to ride with them anywhere and she understood completely. She actually said she didnt even think about the danger with her kid and that she wanted to stop. Not sure if she did but Im glad I made her think.

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nodramamama311
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:37 PM
No one else has this issue?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Most of the people(and none are my immediate family) I know who are smokers, don't smoke in their house nor their cars. Beside I am a SAHM so I drive my children everywhere, They are still in carseats and I will not let them in a car without a carseat.
nodramamama311
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Me too, I'm a SAHM. Our almost 5 yr old isn't allowed in anyone else's vehicle, except grandmas and we put his seat in there. Our 11 yr old can go with family and trusted friends as long as no one is smoking.

Quoting nova.mommy:

Most of the people(and none are my immediate family) I know who are smokers, don't smoke in their house nor their cars. Beside I am a SAHM so I drive my children everywhere, They are still in carseats and I will not let them in a car without a carseat.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessimicuh
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:08 PM
I don't know any smokers who smoke in their home or vehicle. I know I don't. My kids wouldn't be around it either though. So, I agree.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Mine are pretty young, my oldest is in Kindergarten and going to friends houses hasn't been an issue. We know the neighbors well and they can go there but they do not smoke and I would not feel comfortable if they did, however, I am not sure how I would approach it later on. I would not bring him over and then say he couldn't stay because of the smoke but I wouldn't let him go over a second time knowing that. Thankfully I live in an area where smoking is not the norm, certainly not in your home with your children if you do smoke so hopefully I'll never have to run into it.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Mine are 7 and 5.  So we have atleast another year for her in a carseat.

Quoting nodramamama311:

Me too, I'm a SAHM. Our almost 5 yr old isn't allowed in anyone else's vehicle, except grandmas and we put his seat in there. Our 11 yr old can go with family and trusted friends as long as no one is smoking.

Quoting nova.mommy:

lapcounter
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:11 PM
No I wouldn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Unfortunately here it seems like everyone smokes. They do it in the and their homes with their children around. It's disgusting and so harmful but there seems to be a huge lacking of intelligence around here as well.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Mine are pretty young, my oldest is in Kindergarten and going to friends houses hasn't been an issue. We know the neighbors well and they can go there but they do not smoke and I would not feel comfortable if they did, however, I am not sure how I would approach it later on. I would not bring him over and then say he couldn't stay because of the smoke but I wouldn't let him go over a second time knowing that. Thankfully I live in an area where smoking is not the norm, certainly not in your home with your children if you do smoke so hopefully I'll never have to run into it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ednarooni160
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Back in the day I never thought about it...but I think you are on the right track..our kids should come "first".

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM

My kids father smoked. So naturally they were around it when they went to his house. They're grown now, and neither smoke, they think it's gross. I think he was probably the only smoker in their life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)