Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you allow your kids to go to.......

thier friends houses in which the parents smoke inside the home?

I do not. I stand strong by this and I will not let up. I do, however, feel a little bad for my daughter sometimes because practically all of her friends parents smoke in the house and/or car. They are all welcome over here but she only has maybe 2 friends homes that she is allowed to go to. I actually had to confront a parent who smoked in the car with my daughter in there. I didnt even know she smoked and had I known I would not have allowed her in the car because I would NEVER tell a grown person what they can or cannot do in their cars or homes. I simply just do not let my children around the activity. She was actually sorry nd the reason I had to confront her is because I needed to explain to her why my daughter would not be allowed to ride with them anywhere and she understood completely. She actually said she didnt even think about the danger with her kid and that she wanted to stop. Not sure if she did but Im glad I made her think.

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
03amanda
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I can't be around anyone smokes I have asthma and dds aren't allowed anyone houses,car if they smoke even tho say they won't smoke around them it's in the seats of house or car and you can get second hand smoke from it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM
I'm a smoker. I refuse to smoke inside my home or in my car.
nodramamama311
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:03 AM
How is it overprotective to want to protect your child from the very real dangers of cigarette smoke? I don't understand that.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think people are ridiculous when it comes to smoking. That's way to over protective if u ask me

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessy613
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Quoting jessimicuh:

I don't know any smokers who smoke in their home or vehicle. I know I don't. My kids wouldn't be around it either though. So, I agree.

nodramamama311
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I don't limit her friends, she's still friends with them, they come over here. I just don't want my kids around cigarette smoke. Sorry, didn't know caring about your kids was bad.

Quoting sherry132:

Yes, I do. I don't limit my children's friends, and I never have. They've always let me know when they wanted to be picked up or when they really didn't like someone. It's how I taught them to make choices, to decide between right and wrong. It's worked for me. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM
It's overprotective because our homes, our cars, our foods, our factories, our cleaners etc are all laced with dangerous chemicals and pollutants. Children can't live in bubbles and preventing your child from visiting the child of a smoker is nearly as ridiculous as racism. Don't ruin your child's social skills and ability to make his own decisions based on one possible danger.
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Yes I would. I smoke but I don't do it in my house. I do smoke in my car but not when dd's friends are in the car. Dd doesn't care as long as the window is down and she can't smell it. If dd's friends werent allowed to come over to my house because I smoke, I couldn't care less. One less kid I have to worry about.

cherylam
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM

we don't smoke, but my children are grown and do smoke, just not in the house or car, or around the grandkids.  We don't allow smoking in our house or car, because DH is allergic to the smoke.  Grandkids love it here, no smelly clothes or people standing outside.

sununner36
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I have let my kids go over to the person's houses. Most of the time my kids are very outspoken and ask them to refrain from smoking around them since it might act up their Asthma and Reflux.  The parents have been more than happy to abstain while around them.

Every Second of Every Day is a New Beginningpuppy

witchybabymomma
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM

There is no smoking allowed in my vehicle or home, but I don't stop my son from going places where there is smoking as long as it is only for a short amount of time

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN