Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you allow your kids to go to.......

thier friends houses in which the parents smoke inside the home?

I do not. I stand strong by this and I will not let up. I do, however, feel a little bad for my daughter sometimes because practically all of her friends parents smoke in the house and/or car. They are all welcome over here but she only has maybe 2 friends homes that she is allowed to go to. I actually had to confront a parent who smoked in the car with my daughter in there. I didnt even know she smoked and had I known I would not have allowed her in the car because I would NEVER tell a grown person what they can or cannot do in their cars or homes. I simply just do not let my children around the activity. She was actually sorry nd the reason I had to confront her is because I needed to explain to her why my daughter would not be allowed to ride with them anywhere and she understood completely. She actually said she didnt even think about the danger with her kid and that she wanted to stop. Not sure if she did but Im glad I made her think.

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Replies (31-40):
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Yes I do.  I do not and will not punish my children from seeing family and friends who are just as close as family for being smokers.  I think it far more important for them to spend time and be around these people than not.

nodramamama311
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:22 PM
But what about the health dangers? I totally understand being with family and friends but if it's damaging your child's health how can that not concern you? Please help me understand because I honestly do not.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Yes I do.  I do not and will not punish my children from seeing family and friends who are just as close as family for being smokers.  I think it far more important for them to spend time and be around these people than not.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Also, I think you're punishing your child more, in the long run, by contributing to health dangers. Please tell me, am I wrong?? I don't think I am. Surely you know the dangers of smoke and second hand smoke? Doesn't it worry you at all?

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I have to weigh the good with the bad.  The bad they smoke and it isn't best.  However, the loss of a close knit relationship is more important.  So the small amt. of time spent around it maybe once a month is worth it to me. 

Quoting nodramamama311:

But what about the health dangers? I totally understand being with family and friends but if it's damaging your child's health how can that not concern you? Please help me understand because I honestly do not.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Punishing my children would not allowing a relationship with his very best friend from birth for my 14yr old and a relationship with my 12mo olds god mother.  Also my very best friend for the last 20yrs for me.  Yes the same family for all.  All events, get togethers etc. are always held in their home (my house isn't big enough) and their house seems to be the central meeting place for our core group of friends.  So we would all miss out on so much and our lives would be so very sad and lonely without them such an intrical part of it.  As I said it is only about 1 day a month and my kids are never in a car with them. 

So yes for us the pros outweigh the cons. In the summer we are always outside anyways so it is only for the winter months that it is an issue anyways.  So maybe 6x's a year ya not thrilled but worth it for us and my kids. 

Quoting nodramamama311:

Also, I think you're punishing your child more, in the long run, by contributing to health dangers. Please tell me, am I wrong?? I don't think I am. Surely you know the dangers of smoke and second hand smoke? Doesn't it worry you at all?

Quoting fullxbusymom:

tiffanybrown998
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I feel that you should find out if they smoke in their homes and/or cars or not because I am a smoker and I do not smoke in my home or car. I smoke outside no matter what time of night or day. I never smoke around my children because I dont want them to get any second hand smoke diseases that will affect them in life. I think that maybe you should talk to some of the parents and find out if this is something that they do because I am firm and I dont allow anyone to smoke in my house or car. 

ali_1107
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Absolutely NOT. I don't allow my children to go to anyone's house- If I don't know the parents. I do not want my children exposed to that. I think it's gross. I smoked for years but NEVER inside my own home, or around my child.

elijahXmom
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Step down off that high horse before you fall into some deep horse crap. I know you do know there are things we could pick at about you but really does putting your noes up in the air to others get you anything? Not saying your wrong but dam you must be lonely person. Glad I don't know you because your a waste of space. Too busy getting into other people lives you can't take care of your house. So glad you worry about smoking so much, but drinking, rxed out it, high on drugs I would think would more important then a pack of Camel's. Hell WTF do I know....lol

SoKamele
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:33 AM

no

elijahXmom
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Your kids standing beside tail pipe of the school bus is about the same as a smoker, smoke if not worst but you non smoker nuts put your kids in cars and on buses every day, you let them drink tap water or bottled water bad for different reasons, take them to out eat and eat nastey food for your body. Everything is bad for you even those RX your DR writes for you or the otc stuff too.

Quoting nodramamama311:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)