Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Do you allow your kids to go to.......

thier friends houses in which the parents smoke inside the home?

I do not. I stand strong by this and I will not let up. I do, however, feel a little bad for my daughter sometimes because practically all of her friends parents smoke in the house and/or car. They are all welcome over here but she only has maybe 2 friends homes that she is allowed to go to. I actually had to confront a parent who smoked in the car with my daughter in there. I didnt even know she smoked and had I known I would not have allowed her in the car because I would NEVER tell a grown person what they can or cannot do in their cars or homes. I simply just do not let my children around the activity. She was actually sorry nd the reason I had to confront her is because I needed to explain to her why my daughter would not be allowed to ride with them anywhere and she understood completely. She actually said she didnt even think about the danger with her kid and that she wanted to stop. Not sure if she did but Im glad I made her think.

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Replies (41-50):
nodramamama311
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:45 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but you are very wrong about me. You don't know me at all. I do take care of my family very well. I don't only keep my kids from smoke. I wouldn't let them go to a drunks or junkies house either. And I don't pry into people's lives but if my kids are going to be at someone's house I damn sure am going to know what's going on over there, isn't that what good parents do? I'm confused on you attacking me so harshly when all I'm trying to do is keep my kids safe. Yes I am we'll aware that many many things are bad for them, and everyone, but why just say fuck it and let them be harmed by everything when I can keep them from at least some stuff?

Quoting elijahXmom:

Step down off that high horse before you fall into some deep horse crap. I know you do know there are things we could pick at about you but really does putting your noes up in the air to others get you anything? Not saying your wrong but dam you must be lonely person. Glad I don't know you because your a waste of space. Too busy getting into other people lives you can't take care of your house. So glad you worry about smoking so much, but drinking, rxed out it, high on drugs I would think would more important then a pack of Camel's. Hell WTF do I know....lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elijahXmom
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:51 AM

1st off your not talking about looking into your kids friends house holds just if they smoke, smoking is bad but there are worst things in this world then being a smoker.  Like dealing drug being a needle user, a passout/black drunk and such but your stuck on smoking and stupid.

Quoting nodramamama311:

You're entitled to your opinion but you are very wrong about me. You don't know me at all. I do take care of my family very well. I don't only keep my kids from smoke. I wouldn't let them go to a drunks or junkies house either. And I don't pry into people's lives but if my kids are going to be at someone's house I damn sure am going to know what's going on over there, isn't that what good parents do? I'm confused on you attacking me so harshly when all I'm trying to do is keep my kids safe. Yes I am we'll aware that many many things are bad for them, and everyone, but why just say fuck it and let them be harmed by everything when I can keep them from at least some stuff?

Quoting elijahXmom:

Step down off that high horse before you fall into some deep horse crap. I know you do know there are things we could pick at about you but really does putting your noes up in the air to others get you anything? Not saying your wrong but dam you must be lonely person. Glad I don't know you because your a waste of space. Too busy getting into other people lives you can't take care of your house. So glad you worry about smoking so much, but drinking, rxed out it, high on drugs I would think would more important then a pack of Camel's. Hell WTF do I know....lol

nodramamama311
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM
I go to all their friends homes and meet parents so I can see what kind of environment they will be at. Smoking is not the only thing I care about but it's one piece of info I can find out right away. I didn't realize it was a bad thing to want to know, guess us concerned parents are a dying breed.

Quoting elijahXmom:

1st off your not talking about looking into your kids friends house holds just if they smoke, smoking is bad but there are worst things in this world then being a smoker.  Like dealing drug being a needle user, a passout/black drunk and such but your stuck on smoking and stupid.

Quoting nodramamama311:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elijahXmom
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Its not a bad thing at all. I was pointing out the flaws in style of thinking. A child's safety is always #1, but really you going to make your kid stop going to a friends house because they smoke but face the facts of world you don't know if these people are drug user(coke, RX abuse and many other mind altering things) these things can't be smelled, is my point. Please wake up your being silly, if you look at group of smoker vs non smoker vs ex smokers you get stable, 50/50 , a stick up the arss 24/7.

Quoting nodramamama311:

I go to all their friends homes and meet parents so I can see what kind of environment they will be at. Smoking is not the only thing I care about but it's one piece of info I can find out right away. I didn't realize it was a bad thing to want to know, guess us concerned parents are a dying breed.

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting nodramamama311:

Quoting elijahXmom:

s.osborne
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I do, but my friends RARELY smoke in their house anyway and they NEVER smoke in the house while my son is there. I always plan it out to where they won't smoke in the house for a week or two before I come over there. My thing is, if I can't smell it when I get there and we don't smell it when we leave, it's ok.

nodramamama311
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM
You are absolutely right about not being able to know other things that might be going on. That where trust comes in. I have to trust my kids would tell me if they were uncomfortable somewhere, if someone was acting funny, and I have to trust that other parents wouldn't put my child in danger. It's scary and not always easy. Only thing I can do is act on what I do know, what I can control. I can control what they eat and where they go, what they watch on TV, Internet....etc. I don't think I would be doing my job a a parent if I didn't care about those things. Smoking is just one part of it, just one thing I can keep from my kids. No, I can't stop them from breathing in all the crap in the air everyday but again, because of our polluted air should I just say fuck it and let them breathe in even more crap? That's the part I'm having trouble with. Since I can't control everything should I control nothing?

Quoting elijahXmom:

Its not a bad thing at all. I was pointing out the flaws in style of thinking. A child's safety is always #1, but really you going to make your kid stop going to a friends house because they smoke but face the facts of world you don't know if these people are drug user(coke, RX abuse and many other mind altering things) these things can't be smelled, is my point. Please wake up your being silly, if you look at group of smoker vs non smoker vs ex smokers you get stable, 50/50 , a stick up the arss 24/7.

Quoting nodramamama311:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Quoting nodramamama311:

Quoting elijahXmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Irishmommy860
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I was a smoker in my past lifestyle and I never ever smoked in my house, and in the car only when I was alone. Now I have a hard time letting my oldest go anywhere where there is smoking because well...it's not healthy. Thankfully we don't know too many people who smoke anymore :)

19andmomtobe
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM

i will probably be the same. i am actually allergic to tobacco and have really bad respiratory problems if im around smoke at all. we learned this when i was in high school dating a 16 year old boy who smoked and i couldnt breathe and lost my voice alot when i was around it. anyways i just think smoking is gross and stupid. however my dh has smoked cigars.. not around me but with his guy friends when they golf or whatever. honestly im not a fan but its literally like a every couple years thing. he dips on a regular basis. i have a feeling its something my son will pick up when he is a teenager. but he is a one year old right now. hopefully dh will quit in the next couple years. but as for the smoking thing i mean once my kids are over the age of 13 i will probably let them make that choice. i cant keep them locked up forever and i know i was around smoking at the high school i went to so i cant completely stop it ya know?

STVUstudent
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM

None of our kids friends parents smoke, so we don't have THAT issue... We do have friends that smoke, and every one of them tell our kids to never ever start...

TheMommaJessie
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM

i dont care my ds is 2 & has been in my brothers truck & in my dads truck both smoke & my dad has smoked in the truck with me & ds in the truck windows were down so there was no smoke in the car & i assume my brother smoked in his truck while taking ds over 2 my mom 4 a weekend.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)