Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Day off?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 21 Replies

Okay, many of us have thought/dreamt of a day off from motherhood at some point, I'm sure.  Anytime I even think of it, I feel horribly guilty.

My question to you is, have you taken one?  What did you do?  Ages of child(ren)?  Did you feel guilty?  

If you haven't, please reassure me I'm not alone!

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this
Empty nesters now, but yes, I took days and evenings to myself. Never ever felt guilty. If you live only for your kids you will never ever be ready to be an empty nester.
meglovesie11
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
No days off lately. I work 2 jobs and I find myself missing her. I think days/time off is important though
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NewMom11222011
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM
2 moms liked this

We have had our pre-adoptive foster son who is 11 for 15 months now and have only been apart from him for five days and nights while he was at sibling camp with his half-brother.  Time away is crucial for you to recharge your batteries and if there is a significant other in your life for the two of you to have couple time as well.  Nothing to feel guilty about, it's better for your kids in the long run!

Mama2Spencerninja

Zazayam
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't really take days off. When the kids are big enough for school I think that time counts as me time, when they're too young for school I hate the thought of leaving them.

Zazayam
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM

What is a sibling camp, if you don't mind?

Quoting NewMom11222011:

We have had our pre-adoptive foster son who is 11 for 15 months now and have only been apart from him for five days and nights while he was at sibling camp with his half-brother.  Time away is crucial for you to recharge your batteries and if there is a significant other in your life for the two of you to have couple time as well.  Nothing to feel guilty about, it's better for your kids in the long run!

NewMom11222011
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:45 PM

It is a camp run by people who have themselves been foster kids or adopted and it is run for siblings who have been separated in foster care or adoption.

Quoting Zazayam:

Quoting NewMom11222011:

Mama2Spencerninja

Zazayam
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh ok, thanks. We just recently found out that my oldest son has 2 half brothers and a half sister. His father's been absent his whole life and I don't want to really invite him back in, but I've been talking with their mother about maybe getting the kids together or something. I would like for my boy to have a chance to know his siblings. (The father's apparently not in their lives either)

Quoting NewMom11222011:

It is a camp run by people who have themselves been foster kids or adopted and it is run for siblings who have been separated in foster care or adoption.

Quoting Zazayam:

Quoting NewMom11222011:

momamanda
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I have a great husband! 2 years ago he let me go visit my BFF for 5 days! She has 3 kids but we live so far away from eachother so it was so fun! Then again last year For my birthday My mom and sis and me went to Disney world for my birthday..Kid less :0) I have also done a weekend for my sisters birthday with them also. 3 other weekends too with no kids that had to do with sick grandparents and 1 funeral. The kids were at the age range between 3-8 for all the trips. I think we all need a break now and then!

NDADanceMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm always mom. Even when I'm on a beach and my kids are 1000 miles away. I think its strange to think you couldn't. Are you not a wife if your husband goes hunting for a week?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rebeccab1966
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are 13 and 10, and I haven't taken a "day off" in years and years, but my oldest sister who runs a large corporation is taking me to NYC for 3 days for my birthday and I am SO excited and not feeling guilty in the least!  My husband is all for it and is going to watch the kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)