Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Would you let someone else name your baby?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 14 Replies

What’s in a name? Or rather, what’s in a parent’s responsibility to bestow a name? One mother has sold her rights to name her child for $5,000 as part of an online contest. One conservative group is calling the contest “irresponsible parenting,” stating that giving up parental rights to name a child is destructive to traditional family values.

The contest, sponsored by the baby-name website Belly Ballot, offered $5,000 to a parent who would sign a contract giving their baby-naming rights to the website. The site will then post a variety of names for the public to poll. The poll winner will be the contest winner’s new baby name.

http://www.inquisitr.com/551869/mom-sells-baby-naming-rights-to-the-internet/

Do you think this is a smart decision or something the mom will regret later on in life? Do you think the child will appreciate it?

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baby7810
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM

interesting and no i wouldn't do it

BabyGsMommy11
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM
My sister named the baby I'm carrying now. To me, that makes sense. This shit....no sense whatsoever.

What if they pick a name like Allona Loose Fachina?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM

My parents didn't name me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM
People are stupid. Look at all the dumb spellings and made up names parents name their poor kids anyway.
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM

No I wouldn't do it. How the heck does that destroy traditional family values? Organizations like that are stupid. Why do they exist and why do they care if someone lets another person name their baby? Nosey busy bodies with a title IMO.

kerryket
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM

No, I'd rather name my own kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM

nope.. I think its stupid, but I also think its stupid that a "conservative group" would even care about a parent doing this.  If its not abuse, what business is it of theirs? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM

There is really nothing wrong with making up a name.  After all, every name has been made up.  Its not as though they just came along with the universe.  Someone had to have thought of the name for it to exist.  There for, if there is someone who can come up with a fresh new name that has never been used, or has rarely been used before, then I say more power to them.  I think we are in need of some new names anyways, after centuries of just the same old dull names.  

Quoting Anonymous:

People are stupid. Look at all the dumb spellings and made up names parents name their poor kids anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Most fresh new names suck though.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is really nothing wrong with making up a name.  After all, every name has been made up.  Its not as though they just came along with the universe.  Someone had to have thought of the name for it to exist.  There for, if there is someone who can come up with a fresh new name that has never been used, or has rarely been used before, then I say more power to them.  I think we are in need of some new names anyways, after centuries of just the same old dull names.  

Quoting Anonymous:

thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Never and $5,000 definitely isn't enough money to give away that right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)