Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

is this selfish or not

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi. I need to know opinions and advice. I have on and off been looking to find a job at a legal firm possibly paralegal work for more than several years and was not lucky to get in despite going to school for it. And, I am still on job hunt and  try to make time for it since I have a toddler, lol. But anyway, my sis recently told me she got a job at a firm like this, as receptionist. I was glad for her but was kinda surprised cause it never was her preference to work that feild. So, she comes and tells me abd says I had no idea she was applied at a law firm and says the guy wanted someone right away and hired her on the spot when she gave her resume. So, my question is do you think that when  she saw the job she applied to was an actual firm should she of recommended me  for it instead of taking it for herself (plus she already has a job but she wants a second one). She of course been knowing I am looking to work soon But lately Ive been open to many fields so I am not obsessing to work in a law firm. A tiny part of me is sorta envious but I  am still glad for her finding another job.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM
3 moms liked this

You seriously think she should have told you and not applied ? Momma C'mon life doesnt work that way. wake up.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I think your sister lucked out when she got this job. It wasn't her responsibility to tell you about a job, especially since she wanted it for herself. It would have been nice of her to tell you about the job but not required.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Okay so, then tell me how life does work then. Since you're assuming I should "wake up"? 

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

You sewriously think she should have told you and not applied ? Momma C'mon life doesnt work that way. wake up.

1RedHottMama
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think she should have let you have it or recommended you,she was there and applied. In the future I would tell her to keep you in mind. What if she didn't take the job and you didn't take it either,at least she can put in a few good words for you since she has her foot in the door.

lucky2Beeme
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM
3 moms liked this

If you are job hunting and you see a job you think you may like you apply. If she didn't apply and told you there is NO guarantee you would have gotten the job. No one owes anyone the favor of not applying for a job because someone else may want it.

Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I don't think she should have told you so you can apply.  She wanted another job so she took it when offered. She found the job and applied for it.  Suppose she did tell you and you applied and didn't get the job, then what? 

NewMom11222011
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I think it's normal to be envious when you need a job and she has two and one's in your chosen field.  However, she's under no obligation to find you a job although that would be a great thing for her to do!

Mama2Spencerninja

Connie04
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I'm on the other side of the fence on this one.  I have a part-time job right now and one of my sisters is looking for a full-time job (I am thinking of going full-time some day).  I have an idea what field she would like to go into, so I've been keeping an eye out for her.  IF I saw a job in her field, I would tell her about it and let her apply.  I can't imagine applying myself, knowing she is desperate for A job in that field (when I already have a job).  That's how I would look at it.  No, I am under no obligation to help her, but that's what I would do as her sister.  However, is your sister in a more desperate situation than you?  Then, I could understand.  If not, then I think she could have given you first dibs.

LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I know a lot of influential people in this area in my field of work but I never ever recommend anyone for a job. The two times I did that were two very big mistakes. I was the one who ended up apologizing, not the employee. I may tell someone about a job but it is their responsibility to follow thru. Also, if I am interested in the job, I am going to go after it and I am going after it hard. If my friends are my competition, then I will be nice but I will not help them. This just happened last week in fact. I beat a very good friend of mine on two jobs that we both interviewed for. I took one and turned the second down. Now it's up to him to fight to get that second job. He would have done the same to me if the tables were turned. It's a dog eat dog world and I'm hungry. Don't be mad. Be hungry.

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM
3 moms liked this

I would say based on that one paragraph you have no business working in a law office.  You are nearly incomprehensible.  Im sorry you spent money on post secondary education and clearly did not develop even basic writing skills.  I suggest you take some english classes, it may help you prepare a proper resume and maybe you will get a job. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)