Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Pooch Problems-Any Suggestions?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM
  • 30 Replies

We got our dog in December.  We hired a trainer and successfully house trained her.  However, lately, she's started this new thing where she goes outside, pees a little bit and then plays in the snow.  Then, shortly after letting her in, she wants back out again, and does the same thing.  It seems as though when we don't put her back out, she will piddle somewhere.  Also, she can't make it through the night without needing to use the bathroom anymore.  I usually wake up to her sniffing around (she isn't a barker so doesn't wake me up) and will put her out, but lately I'm exhausted and sleep through it.  So, she ends up peeing on the floor, even if it's just a little bit.  We do usually leave her water bowl out at all times, so now we're thinking we'll just take it up after a while, and about an hour before bedtime and just make her stay outside longer.  When I was growing up my parents would make our dogs smell their pee and then get on to them and put them out and after doing that a few times, they NEVER peed in the house.....As much as I hated seeing that, I wondering if that's the only way I can get her to make a correlation between pee on the carpet and being in trouble.  We get on to her for everything else but it's when we catch her in the act, we don't ever catch her peeing, so she doesn't get in trouble for it.  We're just at a loss. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM
I crate my dog and have from day one. Night or when I am gone. She never ever goes pee in the crate ever. Never has. If your dog is still a puppy, night time training takes a while. Don't give water 2 hours before bedtime.
Gabrielle1982
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

We crated her at first but she is a rescue and was crated for most of her life up until we got her in Dec and she doesn't take to it very well.  She was only at the rescue shelter a week before we got her.  She has been GREAT being left out (even overnight and when we're at work), minus this recent problem. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I crate my dog and have from day one. Night or when I am gone. She never ever goes pee in the crate ever. Never has. If your dog is still a puppy, night time training takes a while. Don't give water 2 hours before bedtime.

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM
My dog was crated too. Still no issues using crate training. She feels comfortable and it is her den now.

Quoting Gabrielle1982:

We crated her at first but she is a rescue and was crated for most of her life up until we got her in Dec and she doesn't take to it very well.  She was only at the rescue shelter a week before we got her.  She has been GREAT being left out (even overnight and when we're at work), minus this recent problem. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Gabrielle1982
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM

We did it for a month and it just wasn't working out for her.  She has a lot of anxiety.   :(  But we're def going to take the water away before bedtime.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dog was crated too. Still no issues using crate training. She feels comfortable and it is her den now.

Quoting Gabrielle1982:

Quoting Anonymous:

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Have to say it takes a while for the training with a crate. My dog had anxiety too. Put her crate by me at night. It just takes time. Everyone I know said push through with crate training. She is 4 years now and I am glad we never gave it up. Everyone that gave up the crate at 6 months or so regretted doing it.

Quoting Gabrielle1982:

We did it for a month and it just wasn't working out for her.  She has a lot of anxiety.   :(  But we're def going to take the water away before bedtime.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Gabrielle1982:

Quoting Anonymous:

lancet98
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Having them smell their pee does nothing except make the human feel like he is doing something.   Once they have done peeing, it really is too late to have hysterics about it.

Dogs pee where it smells like pee - it's that simple.   Clean up the pee in the house and take them outside to pee.

If the dog has to pee after peeing a small amount outdoors, a couple possibilities.

One - the dog has diabetes, a bladder infection, or something else (a tumor, a twist in the gut) putting pressure on the bladder.

Two - this often happens with female dogs after they are spayed.   Their sphincter muscle loses muscle tone due to lack of estrogen.   These dogs usually need supplemental estrogen. 

Gabrielle1982
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Wow!  Thanks!  She was spayed the day before we got her!!  And we do clean the pee with a spot bot and a Nature's Miracle cleaning agent.  Thank you.

Quoting lancet98:

Having them smell their pee does nothing except make the human feel like he is doing something.   Once they have done peeing, it really is too late to have hysterics about it.

Dogs pee where it smells like pee - it's that simple.   Clean up the pee in the house and take them outside to pee.

If the dog has to pee after peeing a small amount outdoors, a couple possibilities.

One - the dog has diabetes, a bladder infection, or something else (a tumor, a twist in the gut) putting pressure on the bladder.

Two - this often happens with female dogs after they are spayed.   Their sphincter muscle loses muscle tone due to lack of estrogen.   These dogs usually need supplemental estrogen. 

CafeMom Tickers
Gabrielle1982
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Not crating works for us, but thanks. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Have to say it takes a while for the training with a crate. My dog had anxiety too. Put her crate by me at night. It just takes time. Everyone I know said push through with crate training. She is 4 years now and I am glad we never gave it up. Everyone that gave up the crate at 6 months or so regretted doing it.

Quoting Gabrielle1982:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Gabrielle1982:

Quoting Anonymous:

CafeMom Tickers
lancet98
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I had that happen with two of my female spayed dogs.

In one case, it was a severe bladder infection - in the other - the estrogen thing.

As far as crating, if the dog has an incontinence problem, attempting to deal with it by crating isn't the way to go.   The medical problem will continue(and depending on what it is, could kill the poor dog), plus the dog will be forced to pee in its crate, which is cruel (as dogs are clean animals and hate to pee where they sleep/eat), but will also eventually break down their house training.

As far as crates in general go, we are absolutely 'crate believers'.    I'm not at all comfortable with leaving a dog loose in the house.   The bark is enough to deter most burglars, and even well trained dogs are simply not immune to biting into an electric cord or getting ahold of some rat poison r something like that.

The other benefit, is of course less obvious.   Crated dogs are calmer and suffer less during the time the owner is out of the house.   The crate becomes like their 'den', it's part of their daily routine and they get accustomed to it.   It also makes it much easier to travel (they can go in a crate in the car or hotel) and to send them to a kennel if they cannot go along out of town with you.

Our dogs are all fed every meal in their crate.   A little bit of time each day is spent in their crate.

I don't believe in abusing the crate.   It should not be the place they stay 23 1/2 hours a day, day in and out.   Dogs also need time with their people, time outside playing and exercising and training as well.

A friend of mine who did not believe in crating, let her dog loose in the house all the time, even when no one was home.   One day she came home, and this dog, it appeared, had accidentally bitten an electric cord for a floor lamp, while chewing on his toy.   Yeah, he was dead.

The kids, especially her teenager, were devastated.   The older girl told me she felt it was extremely irresponsible of her mom and that when she got her own dog, it was going in a crate when no one was home.   It is terribly sad when anyone has to learn that lesson that way - especially for the dog.

Quoting Gabrielle1982:

Wow!  Thanks!  She was spayed the day before we got her!!  And we do clean the pee with a spot bot and a Nature's Miracle cleaning agent.  Thank you.

Quoting lancet98:

LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM

110 volts killed the dog? I have never heard of that. I have an electric fence inthe backyard and an underground pet fence in the front yard with a shock collar. He learned real quick to stay in the yard. My dog would hate a crate. He is very happy with his ability to go where ever he wants. Then again, he is extremely smart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)