Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Scheduled C-Section....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

First of all I will say that if I could have a natural birth, I would, but due to my previous c-section I am unable to have a VBAC, so please don't bash.  If I could, I would.  I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with a planned c-section.  I am incredibly nervous, as it's only seven weeks away and my nerves are going haywire.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CLEKate
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I had a planned c-section both times (although technically the first one ended up being moved up by 12 hours cause my water broke...)

Why are your nerves going haywire?  You have had one previous c-section, so you already know what to expect.  If your first was an emergency one, then this one will be a lot more "relaxing."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Yes, the first one was an emergency one, and it went all sorts of wrong.  The epidural didn't work and I felt almost everything....it was a complete nightmare.  I got so sick during the surgery, I seriously thought I was going to die.  Well, fastforward to now and I have a new doctor and I'm having the baby at a different hospital.  The old memories are starting to come back, and I'm a little nervous.

Quoting CLEKate:

I had a planned c-section both times (although technically the first one ended up being moved up by 12 hours cause my water broke...)

Why are your nerves going haywire?  You have had one previous c-section, so you already know what to expect.  If your first was an emergency one, then this one will be a lot more "relaxing."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Having one does NOT mean you need to have another. I'm not bashing, just stating facts.

CLEKate
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

This is going to be completely different.  Things will go a whole lot slower.  You will have tons of time just sitting in the hospital as they "prep" you for the surgery.  You will get to lounge around while people get things done.  When the time comes, they will take you back to the surgery suite.  Then they will take as much time as needed to place the epi-dural.  When you and they are ready, they will get the baby out.  There will be no rush.  Things will progress as they are supposed to.

Regarding getting sick: A lot of women experience bouts of nausea during the c-section.  I had it both times.  As soon as I was laid out, it was a mixture of the nerves and the epi/spinal---I wanted to vomit.  Keep in mind that they have medication ready to give when this happens--so speak up right away.  You should also relay to the team before they start that you had an issue with nausea during the first one--they will be more prepared to help you out!

And if you get sick, you get sick.  It's like pooping while pushing a baby out...it happes quite frequently!

levsenmommy
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I can relate.  My 1st c-section was as perfect as a c-section can be.  My 2nd, though, was a nightmare.  The epidural did not take all the way and I was so sore for a week after from tensing up so much during the surgery I coudn't hardly carry the baby around.  We are discussing a third, but my anxiety keeps getting in the way.  I don't want to repeat the 2nd experience.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, the first one was an emergency one, and it went all sorts of wrong.  The epidural didn't work and I felt almost everything....it was a complete nightmare.  I got so sick during the surgery, I seriously thought I was going to die.  Well, fastforward to now and I have a new doctor and I'm having the baby at a different hospital.  The old memories are starting to come back, and I'm a little nervous.

Quoting CLEKate:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Depending on the cut and methods used during an emergency c-section, VBAC is often not a possiblity. 

She said she can't have a VBAC, so let it rest.  We don't need 100 Moms getting on here and telling her she should be having a VBAC rather than a c-section.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Thank you so much, it makes me feel a bit better knowing this one will go much smoother.

Quoting CLEKate:

This is going to be completely different.  Things will go a whole lot slower.  You will have tons of time just sitting in the hospital as they "prep" you for the surgery.  You will get to lounge around while people get things done.  When the time comes, they will take you back to the surgery suite.  Then they will take as much time as needed to place the epi-dural.  When you and they are ready, they will get the baby out.  There will be no rush.  Things will progress as they are supposed to.

Regarding getting sick: A lot of women experience bouts of nausea during the c-section.  I had it both times.  As soon as I was laid out, it was a mixture of the nerves and the epi/spinal---I wanted to vomit.  Keep in mind that they have medication ready to give when this happens--so speak up right away.  You should also relay to the team before they start that you had an issue with nausea during the first one--they will be more prepared to help you out!

And if you get sick, you get sick.  It's like pooping while pushing a baby out...it happes quite frequently!

kiermac1
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM
I've had 2. First one was an emergancy. Same as one person on here my meds didn't work and I felt the whole thing and I went into shock so they knocked me out, so I can't even remeber my 1st daughters birth. I had placenta abruption.. its horrible.. she almost died. I was in pain for a month and in the hospital for 4days. I just recently had our 2nd daughter 4 months ago w a planned c section. U go in they prep you. U get into ur gown, and they give u some liquid to keep u from getting sick (fyi I got since during the surgery and threw it up lol) u can't eat or drink anything before it, I wouldn't even brush ur teeth. Then they check ur vitails and such as they get ur surgery room ready. U go in sit on a table they do ur epidural. U lay on the table and ur numb about to ur chest. Then they cut u. And like with 15mins or so ur other can come in and ur baby is born. Then he or whoever goes w the nurse and ur baby and u wait an extra 40 mins getting sown up. Then u go into a recovery room for a hour or so w pain meds laying flat on ur back. Once ur in ur actual room they make u take like 2 laps when ur ready around the floor ur on. But u have a cathider in for ahwile. But I was up the day of the surgery. It wasn't bad at all. Btw if ur not shaved they will shave u lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tattooedpaws
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I had a scheduled one for second baby(first was emergency)..and I loved knowing the date! Although we ended up doing early by a week. Some people hate the anticipation of not knowing...so you are lucky! :) relax..don't stress..it will be here before you know it..and then you will wonder where the time went..and wished u would have enjoyed the last days!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:18 PM
I've had two elective schedules c-sections. They were a breeze.
You can't eat after midnight the night before.
Shave your lady bits.
Buy a special band to wrap around your pelvic area where the incision is, It will make all the difference in the world!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN