Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

How much would you pay...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

How much would you pay a sitter to watch 4 children for 7 hours?

Right now we pay her 50/day for 8 hours, 2 of those hours she has all 4 and then takes 3 to school, and then watches the youngest the rest of the day. 

We are expecting a snowstorm tonight so their school may be canceled so she will have all 4 for 7 hours. I asked what she thought, and she asked what I thought.  I have no clue what is a fair amount to her, and also a fair amount to our bank account because she will be doing this all summer as well.  

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM
At least double if not triple that amount
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I would say between $500 and $600 per week. So around $100 or so per day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM

No way.  She won't be doing any driving like she normally has to, plus she already has all 4 for two hours normally, so this will be just adding on 5 hours of 3 extra kids.  And this will be 7 hours instead of 8 hours.

Thanks for the input though, I do appreciate ALL input I am just saying there's no way I could pay her double, let alone triple (that would be $150 for 7 hours!!)

Quoting marchantmom06:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM
At least $75.
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I think the amount you are paying her is very unfair and you wouldn't find ANYONE to watch your children for that cheap here. 10$ an hour per child is $320 a DAY! Or you figure $125 a week at a cheap I home day care PER CHILD, is roughly $100 a day. You expect to much for to little.

Quoting Anonymous:

No way.  She won't be doing any driving like she normally has to, plus she already has all 4 for two hours normally, so this will be just adding on 5 hours of 3 extra kids.  And this will be 7 hours instead of 8 hours.

Thanks for the input though, I do appreciate ALL input I am just saying there's no way I could pay her double, let alone triple (that would be $150 for 7 hours!!)

Quoting marchantmom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Well I am not from where you are from, so obviously its different. What I am paying now is what she told me she expected when I was hiring her. I had others offer to be paid only 35 for the whole day.
Here home days care charge 20/day for the first child, plus 10 for each additional child for the WHOLE day. So I would only be paying 50 a day for all 4 kids all day. But I would rather someone watch them in my own home.

Quoting marchantmom06:

I think the amount you are paying her is very unfair and you wouldn't find ANYONE to watch your children for that cheap here. 10$ an hour per child is $320 a DAY! Or you figure $125 a week at a cheap I home day care PER CHILD, is roughly $100 a day. You expect to much for to little.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM
That is what I am thinking. Plus I pay her $5 a day for her gas here and home (she uses our vehicle to transport kids). So 80 for the day sounds fair (for our area) I THINK lol. This is hard.

Quoting Anonymous:

At least $75.
givenshl
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Check out this article from Care.com, maybe it will help you make your own decision:

http://www.care.com/child-care-how-much-should-you-pay-your-sitter-p1017-q14606.html

kim8934
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I would say $75 (if not more).  4x7x 2.5 = 70 + lunch & snacks

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM
According to that I would pay 9.00 an hour. So that would be $63 for the day. That still seems too low. :-/

Quoting givenshl:

Check out this article from Care.com, maybe it will help you make your own decision:

http://www.care.com/child-care-how-much-should-you-pay-your-sitter-p1017-q14606.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)