Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question here

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

What do u think about a mom who worked for over 20-30 + yrs and sadly due to cut backs is let go and not working and on food stamps and medicaid. she pays into the system for many years and does not have much of savings left after dealing with household things like needing a washer and dryer at their old house and things fixed on her car and the ex husband dodges the system working under the tables and she gets no support.

is she wrong for being on foodstamps and medicaid to help herself and her kids? she has no cash assistance and not over 450 in foodstamps and money saved helps with rent she pays for two bedrooms in a friends house. 

Her friend pays for the electric and all that and toiletries. 

thoughts about her on FS? I help take her to interviews on my own days off and help as much as I can and Ive not been in her position but its humiliating. For her I know.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I would be looking for a job, or 2. I wouldn't just say "hey I am going to just live off the govt now." After working that much she should have a savings. Sounds like she has none. Aren't her kids nearly grown or did she have them older??
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

That is the purpose of govt assistance. I have no problem with that and she shouldn't be ashamed. This economy is horrible. Bad things have happened to a lot of hardworking people. On the other hand, if she was abusing the system, I would have a huge problem with that!

allison17
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM
After working so long and being independent, I can see why it would be a struggle to receive assistance. However, it sounds as if her assistance is proper and necessary.

If she appears embarrassed or mentions her feelings, ensure her that she is in a temporary state that will get better with time and effort.

Nobody is wrong for accepting government aid as long as it is not being abused - from the information you provide, that doesn't seem to be the case at hand.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BL2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I don't think she's wrong for needing government assistance. Is she looking for another job?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Ive helped her on my days off to look for something even part time.  No luck yet. I feel bad for her but companies are laying of people all the time no matter how long you have been there.

Crazylife1994
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM

No she needs the help and she isn't just sitting around popping out babies. She wants to get ahead again but needs some help along the way.

Crazylife1994
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I know Walmart has been on a hiring freeze for a couple of months but not any longer. I know that the majority of Walmarts are in deperate need of people so maybe it could be an option for her.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ive helped her on my days off to look for something even part time.  No luck yet. I feel bad for her but companies are laying of people all the time no matter how long you have been there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 5, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Thank u everyone.

I just know she has two boys 16 and 13 and the ex lost his job a while ago and she had to do something for medical for herself and the boys. She worked 20 something yr for one comp and then 5 for another and the bottom fell out.

I will tell her about walmart. she can walk to one by her place. 

Zazayam
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM

The only people that are wrong for being on PA are the ones that have no interest at all in ever getting off it. The one's that make a career of getting assistance.

The services are there for a reason, and they're great when you need a little extra help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)