Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Cafe The Cafe

Surrogate Offered $10,000 to Abort

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

This is so sad, and so wrong, that she was even offered money to abort this baby. The story is quite long, so I will not copy and paste the entire thing here. But you can jump over and take a read here-

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/04/health/surrogacy-kelley-legal-battle/index.html?eref=igoogledmn_topstories

What are your thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow, all this should be in the surrogates contract. All what ifs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM
I agree

Quoting Anonymous:

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Crazy story.  I imagine in the future contracts will have to better define "abnormality" and other pertinent phrases.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM
My dd's boss has been one twice. She is due anytime with her wnd and last surrogate baby.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree

Quoting Anonymous:

kitty8199
by Nicole on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Well the surrogate actually still has to sign adoption papers. Surrogate is the legal mother.
I'd carry deliver and keep the baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Not in all states. According to the story, the biological mother was the legal mother in their state. That's why the surrogate left to go to another state, the biological mother was going to take the baby and drop her off and put her in the system.

Quoting kitty8199:

Well the surrogate actually still has to sign adoption papers. Surrogate is the legal mother.

kitty8199
by Nicole on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM
It was an egg donor. That makes surrogate the legal mom but the husband was the sperm donor.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not in all states. According to the story, the biological mother was the legal mother in their state. That's why the surrogate left to go to another state, the biological mother was going to take the baby and drop her off and put her in the system.

Quoting kitty8199:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GaleJ
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

The intricacies of the legal and medical issues in this case are beyond where the current law is and the likelihood of the law catching up anytime soon isn't very realistic. I don't see anyone in this being wrong, there just isn't any way to prepare completely; legally, emotionally, or in any other way and those involved could not anticipate the situation as indeed the law did not either. I feel sorry for everyone concerned and hope that the child doesn't suffer too greatly in her life journey. 

AnnLanders
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:17 AM

And this is why we don't rent out our uterus for profit.  It's not freelance work. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM

That was stated later in the story. I really wish they would learn to write properly- that should have been a piece of information given at the beginning. 

In most states, though, if she had been the biological mother, she would have also been the legal mother.

Quoting kitty8199:

It was an egg donor. That makes surrogate the legal mom but the husband was the sperm donor.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kitty8199:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)